Watershed: Are you disapointed with it?

This reminds me of when TOOL launched Lateralus. Everyone wanted Aenima, but it was simply the evolution of the the band. I hated Lateralus when I first heard it, but after spin after spin it grew to be my favorite album of all time. Kudos to Mike and the boys for heading in a bold new direction. I can't wait to see you back in Detroit in September. Watershed is exactly a reflection of the title, and I thank you for not being stagnate.

Mix

Great post...and I agree

Some interesting posts here about evil and death and the evolution of Opeth. Almost metaphysical subjects. Too bad they didn't continue.
Thinking about Opeth to me is thinking of evolution, that is not to say that it is good or bad, that is why there are so many differences of opinion, Opeth just is, the property given, is given; thus it is subjective. Mike put it right somewhere and this is why there is no right and wrong when giving opinions. It is all in the eye of the beholder...or the ear of the listener. Opeth is the essence of being for me, it is becoming... again, this has no right and wrong values. Just like we are not really more than ten years old (no, really, we're not. This is a scientific fact) the true evolution of a band perhaps also reflects this fact of nature, we are not the same persons we were so Opeth cannot be the same band it was IF, it did evolve. If it did not, then it is a shark...an AC/DC who does the same thing over and over like someone pointed out there. Again, no rights or wrongs here.

Saying this of course we can still disagree because we all have different beliefs so that is alright. As for me, I really like Watershed, it does seem a good ermm adaptation... Evolution is not linear, and massive changes often result in massive consequences. That I do miss the overall "feel" of earlier records (up to Damnation), well, yes... this is how I feel. There was a sense of something missing that it is present in GR and Watershed... maybe it is colour as someone said up here. Don't know. Saying this though and to a more everyday comment. It is their 9th album!!!!! Most bands are separated by their 9th album or become predictable or lack originality. Look at Metallica. I just can't believe St. Anger comes from the same band that wrote Orion... but again, the guys are different people now. Literally... and their adaptation to the musical environment is quite unsuccesful therefore they will eventually be eaten... hopefully by better adapted animals, like Opeth!
Always the abscence of something is the presence of something else... it's not all about the same feeling, cause it's evolution as you said before... besides, talking about metaphysical subjects, i've always had the feeling that there was some sort of almost mysthical atmosphere in Orchid (particularly due to the lyrics... "absolute black metal nonsense" according to mike)

To be honest I was disappointed with Porcelain Heart (possibly my least favorite Opeth song after Eternal Soul Torture) but even though I haven't heard the whole cd the other songs I have heard aren't disappointing. For anyone who doesn't want to give this album a chance I can't advise you enough to keep listening. Opeth's music is pretty complex and can take a while to digest. I used to not like Deliverance at all for the first 15 or so listens but now I can't get enough of it. Ghost Reveries took several listens as well to click but once it clicks you'll fully appreciate the music

I am disappointed on this:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Opeth-String-Tribute/dp/B001AL3HJY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1213219280&sr=8-2"]Opeth String Tribute?[/ame]

huh.

To the OP: Well, to be honest, I am a tad disappointed in a certain respect. When GR came out it blew me away completely. Now, Watershed is a great album, but it does not blow me away like GR did. Other than that ... Opeth still kicks ass! :headbang: :kickass:

To the OP: Well, to be honest, I am a tad disappointed in a certain respect. When GR came out it blew me away completely. Now, Watershed is a great album, but it does not blow me away like GR did. Other than that ... Opeth still kicks ass! :headbang: :kickass:

Well, that's a relief. Any album that blows you away first time isn't going to last very long. Like GR.

To be honest I was disappointed with Porcelain Heart (possibly my least favorite Opeth song after Eternal Soul Torture) but even though I haven't heard the whole cd the other songs I have heard aren't disappointing. For anyone who doesn't want to give this album a chance I can't advise you enough to keep listening. Opeth's music is pretty complex and can take a while to digest. I used to not like Deliverance at all for the first 15 or so listens but now I can't get enough of it. Ghost Reveries took several listens as well to click but once it clicks you'll fully appreciate the music

i strongly believe that what we've got on this album is long music, not complicated music. there are a few references to other bits in the song here and there, but it ain't mahler. that's why i think abandoning the heavy aspect is a mistake. what's left isn't exactly brainbending, there are just a lot of sections to get used to.

(still listening, still hoping for a connection with the disc)

out of interest, how do you define dark? i haven't picked up much of the lyrics, which are a big part of *darkness* for me, but some of them are pretty meh. the start of lotus eater is pretty damn black though ("liquid is in your throat"?). the music isn't as cold as it used to be, with the keys in it now.

+1

I really love Watershed, to be honest I didn't expect it that much, after the relative GR disapointment (looks more like a sort of "best-of" with new songs, nothing new in this album)...
Watershed gives Opeth music a new taste, which I love.

I don't thing it's a question of new fan or old ones, it's just we have to understand Opeth is evoluting, and it obviously can't please everyone.

I'm glad of it, I don't want my favorite band to turn into bands like Dark Tranquillity, who keep making same albums since Damage Done.

I'm not disappointed at all. I think their " new direction" is very interesting, and I've been listening to them since '99/'00. Plus, to the thread starter, where did you get the information that all they'll play on Watershed tour is Watershed songs? With Opeth anything is possible. Their next album could very well be a newer direction from their current new direction. I guess it's all in the ear of the beholder. :)

Here's a review by someone from a prog rock site who didn't like the album, it's not me, so don't kill me! :)

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=173419

Wow, that review made me sick. If being into progressive music means you have to come off as a pretentious ass hole who uses Nickelback as a reference point for just about everything, then count me out.

That review sounded like Nickelback lyrics being written by a former member of Nickelback and it continued (I won't say progressed as I don't want to confuse anyone) for far too long, far beyond the point where most Nickelback songs call it quits. To each his own and all but Nickelfuck that guy.

Here's a review by someone from a prog rock site who didn't like the album, it's not me, so don't kill me! :)

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=173419

:erk:
Wow, I think that guy's been listening to too much Nickelback! Plus, from that review (although I just skimmed through it), he seems to not really listen to or know much at all about Opeth. Plain and simple, a blatantly unhelpful review. He should've just walked away. That review was utterly useless!:mad:

Edit: Prog Archives is actually a great website, by the way, but Nickeldick can go fuck himself! :mad: