Watershed: Are you disapointed with it?

I really love Watershed. I grew up on Led Zeppelin and King Crimson, so the progressive aspect of the album doesn't bother me at all. The growls could be a tad louder, and there could be more of them, but Mikael's clean voice is so awesome on this album that it doesn't really matter too much.

Instrumentally, I am really happy with the addition of Frederik. His lead style is so different to Mikael's that there is no confusion about who is soloing (Unlike when Peter was in the band). And Per is just great. My only complaint is that Axe seems to overplay just a little sometimes. Where Martin Lopez played very tastefully and as though he had nothing to prove (which he didn't) Axe sort of pushes his awesomeness down our throats a little. He is excellent though, and perhaps on the next album he will realize that we all love him enough for him to relax a bit.

I like Watershed.
I guess I can agree about Axe. The Lotus Eater is a perfect example of what I think you are talking about. It is "uncomfortable" to listen to all of the fills during the song (especially when he goes nuts around the first chorus), but maybe that's what he was shooting for? Like guitarists adding dissonant notes or chords to a song to purposely to make the listener wish it would be resolved so they can feel comfortable again. I also think we were use to Martin's jazzier style. However it is still Opeth and I like it all!

^Yeah I can't believe it when people say things like "I almost lost faith in Opeth when I heard Ghost Reveries."
It's a phenomenal album.
I think people got scared because Mikael experimented a little more on GR. If any other band had recorded a record like GR that would be their last becasue they could never out do it and would forever come up short. It would be the end all be all of their writting abilites and to have a band like Opeth who continuosly put out genious after genious material we set the standards extremely high. Some people think that if it doesnt sound exactly like the older stuff it aint shit! I ask, do you want ACDC or do you want Opeth? (I am not dissing ACDC, I consider them in that "founding fathers" group of metal but lets face it, their music really doesnt sound any different from record to record)

funniest ting happned to me.....i was at teh mall with the misses at the Oakley store.....and the dude workin thtere come up to me.....and hes like....NO WAY.....coz I was wearing a Opeth (bWP) TOUR) Tshirt.....guess what then......he raises trousers from his Leg....haaa....BAMM>.....HUGE OPETH LOGO on hi lower leg....it was crazy.....i told'em to go to opeth.com and post a pic of it....it was pretty cool tattoo.....but yeah....jsut thought I share that.....and then we talked a bit bout opeth and all......good to see opeth fans every now and then.......PEAC EOUT

Watershed is by no means a disappointment, quite the opposite.

It is clearly the best album of the year so far, rivalled only by Mars Volta's Bedlam In Goliath. Mastodon's upcoming album may be a contender as well, but sure does seem like the Opeth boys have this one in the bag.

I think, actually, that watershed is the one Opeth record that intrested me the most, I don't know why, but it just didn't get me directly but kept promise me more, and delivered it. It has really become one of my all time favourites. I really thin the new members are great, especally Axe (who is also very cute on the dvd). For me it's one of the most fullfilling Opeth records yet.

I think, actually, that watershed is the one Opeth record that intrested me the most, I don't know why, but it just didn't get me directly but kept promise me more, and delivered it. It has really become one of my all time favourites. I really thin the new members are great, especally Axe (who is also very cute on the dvd). For me it's one of the most fullfilling Opeth records yet.
I think what makes it special is it has something for everyone who loves Opeth. The ballads are very pleasing to the ear becasue Mikael's voice has really become a very beautiful instrument as well as a instument of punishment on songs like Heir Apparent. This CD goes up one end and down the other with extreme complexity, extreme simplicity, extreme brutality, and extreme beauty.

This CD goes up one end and down the other with extreme complexity, extreme simplicity, extreme brutality, and extreme beauty.

I think that is the best summary of the album I have heard so far, I agree 100%.

After countless listens I am still finding new "favourite" bits of the album, whether is the keyboard solos in Lotus Eater & Burden, the drum freakout and vocals in Porcelain Heart, the riffs in Hex Omega etc. Every band member has amazing moments in this album, I think it will stick with me for a long long time.

Theres been some interesting things people have pointed out about their take on Watershed.

In my opinion, it was a necessary evolution for the band, although when i listen to the entire album, and consider the songs as a whole and how they flow into each other, i'm left feeling like theres something missing.

I guess the way I interpret opeth's music is every album has a distinct sound and atmosphere/feeling to it. GR and WS seems to lack this.
Maybe they could work on two(or more) albums around the same time, like deliverence and damnation..

Heir Apparent is the best song Opeth have written since Ghost of Perdition. Amirite?

Well, GOP is incredibly overrated. I would go so far as to say it's one of my least favorites from GR. But you are right that Heir Apparent is incredible. If only the rest of the album was as good.

I wouldn't say it's overrated. Maybe it's not much better than, say, Baying of the Hounds, which many think is the best DM cut from Ghost Reveries, but it sums up Opeth's sound in that era pretty well. Ghost of Perdition kind of is Ghost Reveries-the abridged version.

I dont think Opeth can ever disappoint me. And I think Watershed is better than Ghost Reveries and Deliverance, not to mention Orchid,Morningrise and MAYH. Don't get me wrong, those 3 were good enough albums but after all they hadn't yet developed fully by then. To dare and experiment and constantly expand your sound is what makes a band great IMO. Among other things. And thats what Opeth do on Watershed. Not all songs may be of the same caliber, but overall it is a really satisfying listen.

I wouldn't say it's overrated. Maybe it's not much better than, say, Baying of the Hounds, which many think is the best DM cut from Ghost Reveries, but it sums up Opeth's sound in that era pretty well. Ghost of Perdition kind of is Ghost Reveries-the abridged version.

well said.

anyways, my lasting impression of watershed is that it's a great album, but inconsistent. it has some really great tracks, and only one weak track. heir apparent is one of opeth's best, and songs like hessian peel, burden and the lotus eater are fantastic in their own. however, i think hex omega, porcelain heart are a little boring and drawn out.

also, am i the only one who loves derelict herds? it obliterates.

I don't remember if I've given a take on this thread so... I like Watershed, it has some so really fantastic moments that those moments alone make it worth listening. I don't know if there's anything really bad to say about it. The album works and Opeth are yet to disapoint me. I've been actually listening to the new album more than I thought I would, but it sure as hell isn't getting boring. Opeth albums are long-living CD's.