Watershed: Are you disapointed with it?

I would be lieing if I said I was not disappointed. Still a good album, but I think I keep hoping that the next album is gonna be a return to MAYH, SL, or BWP (obviously all my favorite CDs), and when it's not I just... eh. Also am not a big fan of the keyboard, I prefered the "simpler" songs before GR and I think that when they're trying to make the big epic songs, which they do well, adding the keyboard in just makes it sensory overload. They just seem to be trying to cram way to much stuff into each song, which is why I wasn't a big fan of GR. Burden is fucking amazing thought.

I would be lieing if I said I was not disappointed. Still a good album, but I think I keep hoping that the next album is gonna be a return to MAYH, SL, or BWP (obviously all my favorite CDs), and when it's not I just... eh. Also am not a big fan of the keyboard, I prefered the "simpler" songs before GR and I think that when they're trying to make the big epic songs, which they do well, adding the keyboard in just makes it sensory overload. They just seem to be trying to cram way to much stuff into each song, which is why I wasn't a big fan of GR. Burden is fucking amazing thought.

Opeth will never do MAYH, SL or BWP because it is step backwards. So pretty sorry that you and some others can't appreciate new material.

you have some valid points. mike said in an interview a few years back, before ghost reveries, that he thought keyboards sucked and that you could do all you wanted in a song with guitars. obviously his attitude has changed, now favoring the keys. but i have to agree with you and mikael from a few years back, that the more "epic songs" are pretty much all guitar oriented songs. instead of using two guitars for a new song, mike probably just uses 1 guitar and 1 keyboard. obviously a similar sound, but sometimes it's a little to crammed, as you said.

Dissapointed? Why? I like it! It's not my favourite Opeth album, but I had no specific expectations prior to its release, so I'm not dissapointed. After all, Opeth never released a bad record, did they?

Opeth will never do MAYH, SL or BWP because it is step backwards. So pretty sorry that you and some others can't appreciate new material.

+1

It was difficult for my to get into this album but when I forgot about Porcelain Heart I just fell in love with it :rofl:D

Nope, I really love it. My (current) favorite moment has to be the opening guitar part on Hessian Peel.

[The only big complaint would be the opening drums & guitars in Porcelain Heart. It just built up and up, making me think 'fuck yeah, hell is about to be let loose' the first time I heard it and then... nothing.]

I would rather take Watershed to a desert island than the entire box set of the first three albums.

It saddens me to say it that way, but I think WS is their weakest album.

Especially as I regard GR, along with BWP, as their best album. I've been listening to their sound from 1997, and I don't mean this statement as bragging, but only to show that some of the "oldest" fans really appreciate their evolution throughout the years. The difference between BWP and GR is obvious, yet they couldn't be any better than how they sound, and they have a VIBE that incites me to put either one I'm listening to on repeat.

WS, as personal as the lyrics seem to be to Mikael, feels contrived and, sometimes, ackward. There are many good moments on the album, but some of them could have been an intro to a much better motif to the rest of the song they belong to. I'll give an exemple : starting at 3:13 on Hex Omega (which is one of my favorite tracks on the album), who thinks that THAT keyboard part would have made an EXCELLENT blowout of all instruments following that lead ? (hope I'm making myself clear, I'm no musician and english isn't my mothertongue). And then it could have segued into the doom-metal-like ending of the song... As I said, it's one of my favorite songs, and I'm a proghead since the early 90s (I ain't that old) so I like how the song evolves, but I think it could just have been so much better that way. And much of the album feels like that.

So as most of you said, yes it's a good album when compared to most of what's on the market, but for an Opeth album, I think it has imore of ts share of flaws.

In a greater scheme of things, compared to many other artists, it is awesome.

As far as relative to other Opeth albums, I originally listened to it constantly and perhaps grew tired of it. Then I gave it a break, picked it up recently, and I like it quite a bit.

GR is probably my favorite. What I like about that album is that no matter how many times I listen to it, it has a bunch of songs where I just don't remember what part is coming up next.

I think that Watershed is little more predictable.

First time I heard WS was the first time I heard Opeth on satellite radio. I was blown away! My exact words were, "who the fuck makes music like this?!?!" You can't help but see that Opeth are evolving. In rock and roll sometimes you either evolve or stagnate. WS is a masterpiece to this "old dude" Keep evolving Opeth!!!

I like watershed more and more, just like any other opeth album, this was just a matter of letting it grow.

to be honest, watershed is really good and has more to give and it has some really great moments, heir apparent solo, hex omega intro and outro (especially) hessian peel solo and riff after, burden. Ah, there are many reasons to like this album

eh. Also am not a big fan of the keyboard, I prefered the "simpler" songs before GR and I think that when they're trying to make the big epic songs, which they do well, adding the keyboard in just makes it sensory overload. They just seem to be trying to cram way to much stuff into each song, which is why I wasn't a big fan of GR. .

Baying of the hounds, nuff said

EDIT: and beneath the mire

I'm highly dissapointed that Derelict Herds was not a regular added song, made in higher quality. Its PERFECT for the albulm, and the experiance for me is kinda ruined, listening to the cd without it. Its almost as dissapointing as how Blackwater Park doesn't have Patterns 2 on it.