We Need To Hear From Mike/peter!...

threak

Oct 21, 2002
...We need to know whats going on with the setlist at Shepards Bush.

I feel its our right to know how MFN is gonna fuck us over on this one.

Anyone else agree.

I mean im really excited about seeing opeth play two sets,and then getting to relive this again on dvd.But the first four albumsa are fan favorites by almost 70% of opeths fanbase i predict.And to not include material from these albums at this show is a very big letdown.I mean,try to imagine opeth not encoring with Demon,its pure blasphemy.

I agree, I'm excited and all, first time seeing Opeth, but I must say since the rumour about only BWP D1 and D2 songs, I'm less excited than I was... But yeah, we need someone to confirm if the rumours are infact true or false...

This video is supposed to capture the expirience of an Opeth show, on both occasions, mellow and normal, cutting it off means not staying true to the expirience, which means to me losing the point of releasing this DVD at all.

London might not be the only one that they will be recording. Maybe they will record their other gigs in Europe and piece them together?!

Black Rose said:
London might not be the only one that they will be recording. Maybe they will record their other gigs in Europe and piece them together?!

They wont.Why would they spend more money lugging around expensive recording equipment.This will be the only show that appears on that dvd.Plus,why would they put out all of this promotion adverstising just this show as being recorded for a dvd,if they already have plans to record others.

Im sure that the production for this show will be something quite special.But without those songs,it almost looses all feeling.

Black Rose said:

I dunno, I don't think they will. There isn't much point, and it dosen't really explain why they aren't playing older stuff at this gig. I want Demon :(

MasterOLightning said:
This rumor comes straight from opeth.com. A pop up window clearly states that there will be two 1 hour sets, featuring BWP, D1, and D2.

Yes mate, we know that! :) We are trying to understand why there are no tracks from the other four albums, when they are recording for their first DVD.

shit, i thought they were going to play older tracks... they're rehearsing [as i've read in this post...] so they're either rehearsing BWP, D1, D2 tracks... or older tracks... shit damn fuck cunt slut bitch rape ass donkey

The record company will most likely think it represents them well enough, and that's prolly all that's going to matter. Seeing as subsequent releases have outstripped and out sold all previous effort, they're going to assume that that's what we want to hear.... plus, a band is expected to play there 'current' material... it's a given.

I DO wish however that Mike and the Crew would consider playing songs for the majority, from the latest three albums, but however, throw in 1-2 of the 'best songs' from each of the earilier releases.... then we'd have a compromise that suited the best of both worlds.

Ah well, wishful thinking *Sigh*

I know guys it's a little bit wierd this.
Reason is publishing rights...we have, I don't know 3 different publishers so it's gonna be a problem....I don't know exactly why really. We're only allowed to play songs from our MFN catalogue.
Thing is that Shepards bush is not a super excusive gig, other than it's set up for the DVD. We'll be on tour for "Damnation" playting only soft songs but for that show we'll pull out a few heavy numbers as it's "a night of Deliverance and Damnation". Basically it's done to promote the albums, not some night of ol' favourites. I totally understand what you mean and I do agree it's a little fukked up. The company have been on our backs for a DVD for a long time, but I reckon the real reason for this DVD is promotion.

Cheers
Mike

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
Reason is publishing rights...we have, I don't know 3 different publishers so it's gonna be a problem....I don't know exactly why really. We're only allowed to play songs from our MFN catalogue.
Thing is that Shepards bush is not a super excusive gig, other than it's set up for the DVD. We'll be on tour for "Damnation" playting only soft songs but for that show we'll pull out a few heavy numbers as it's "a night of Deliverance and Damnation". Basically it's done to promote the albums, not some night of ol' favourites. I totally understand what you mean and I do agree it's a little fukked up. The company have been on our backs for a DVD for a long time, but I reckon the real reason for this DVD is promotion.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks for clearing the air Mr. Åkerfeldt :p :wave:
The DVD will be excellent regardless. Can't wait for it to come out :p

That's too bad. But it'll be worth it for the Damnation set. And the BWP/D1 stuff is all good anyway (..especially if some new songs are played, which I will hope for to the last).

Are there any bonuses planned? Studio footage or high quality versions of the two "music videos", for example. It'd be an easy inclusion.

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:

Cheers
Mike

Thanx, for clearing it up Mike (ala as GOD:p) but cant you get Candelight or Peacville to accept classics like, Demon, the moor or BRI on the dvd? or ar they really fucking hard?

But if you dont play Bleal (my favourite) i'll fucking bite my head off!:D

Hm, that definitely clears it up... and indeed, it is at least a little "fukked up", if not more. ;)

I'm pretty sure it's not that hard to get the rights needed to get the older songs on a DVD too, however that might cost the label money... :rolleyes:
and after all, they probably just want to promote their own catalogue, indeed.

I was really excited to get nice quality live versions of some older songs, especially from Orchid or Morningrise... these songs just sound so much more powerful live.
And Still Life is my fav album ever anyways, with MAYH coming close... oh well...:erk:

So that probably means no Face of Melinda, To Bid You Farewell and Benighted either during the mellow set... not good, not good at all, especially if there was no Hamburg date during the Damnation tour *still has a little hope for that*.:wave:

Well, I'm still looking forward to the release of the DVD of course, but I'm not sure if I'm still going to buy a DVD-player just because of that one now. :D
However, of course I expect a great performance and a nice atmosphere, as always!