About peter leaving....

Taotrac

Aug 30, 2006
Honestly I'm blaming this new album suckage on Peter leaving.
Everyone says he had to contribution to the writing process, but it even says on the Opeth site that Peter and Mike write music together. Honestly i dont think Opeth is the same without him and in a bad way.

Perosnally, when i member that writes music leaves the band, i think they should at least go in the studio with the band in the future and continue to write music. They dont have to tour or anyting. They should just help write, especially if them leaving tears the band's sound up. It would honestly take what, spending maybe a month with the band, and thats it? Half the band memebers that leave bands end up becoming producers so why the fuck dont they just come back to the band and help "produce". I wouldn't think ex-members would hate thier own band so much they dont want to ever have anything to do with it again.

Hopefully Mike finds some better people to write with in the future. Im sure even if Mike writes most of the stuff, im sure that having Peter to write with compared to someone new is a big change, especially because the guitarist used to play for a band that sounds nothing like Opeth and sound quite frankely very sucky. I personally halfway like "the lotus eater" but you gotta honestly sit back and look. It's a great metal song, but its not Opeth at all really, cept for the weird intramental parts.

I mean, the same exact song (at least the first few minutes) could have come from another band in my opinion. Heir Appearant is just too simple for them, and Porcelain Heart is a complete rip off of The Grand Conjuration no matter what anyone says. (3 songs ive heard).

Honestly, the only thing that seems still Opeth is soft vocals, and a good sense of rythem that most death metal bands dont have. Heir appearant doesnt have that normal good Opeth rythem tho, thats why it sucks to me. I love really rythmic death metal bands, to me it makes it sound more evil.
Like on Blackwater Park (the song). The part after the acoustic part with the dual growl and rythmic guitar theme. So evil, rythmic, and just perfect.

Heir Appearant was missing that sorta thing, and The Lotus Eater only had it for a little while. I also wonder if this is missing because of the new drummer.
Drumming add alot of rythem to the music that you dont sometimes notice till its gone. and Honestly i dont think alot of drummers are willing to add ryhtem to death metal. Only 2 examples of ones who do is Opeths old drummer and Dark Tranquillity's drummer.

Honestly, mike needs to at least get the old guys to come back in to at least help write =( or pick people that actually come from good bands that have Opeth like qualities. Like i could see someone from Dark Tranquillity going into Opeth, or someone from Killswitch Engage, or In Flames, or some unique type of band. But Arch Enemy? that band is so typical, and boring, and they sound just like what boring awful metal sounds liek, alot like Lamb Of God in my opinion.

Killswitch? They couldn't even play the cover tune Holy Diver worth a shit!

-If I recall correctly, Peter stated that he wasn't meeting the Opeth standard towards the end and said the band deserved better.
-Trust in Mike to appoint members of his liking.
-Listen to the whole album before you evaluate Opeth's 'new sound'.
-PH resembles TGC at some stages but 'a complete ripoff'?
-'It's not Opeth at all really' -I wasn't aware Opeth was defined within boundaries.
-Fail

Haha, your a retarded troll. Look inside man. Get outside and realize that fun can be had via other means.

If on the off chance that you're serious, I think you might want to start questioning your motives for listening to music, or hope that science will find a cure for stupid within your lifetime.

...so, you're saying that when a member leaves a band, he or she should stay and write songs with the band just to keep you happy? Are you aware that Peter is not even in the music business anymore?

I'm getting really tired of the Fredrik-bashing just because he played in Arch Enemy. What about Krux? What about Talisman? It's not like Arch Enemy is his only gig, and he's shown quite a lot of width. To me, Porcelain Heart sounds NOTHING like Arch Enemy, if anything it's guilty of sounding too much like earlier Opeth, and that's the only song he actually co-wrote. And according to both him and Mike, it was Mike that decided on the riff to use, even though Fredrik was the one who came up with it.

If you don't like his style, fair enough, but this whole thing of stigmatising him just because he was in Arch Enemy is moronic. Oh, and as for judging an album based on three songs. Just.... gah.

I think Peter left because he was tired of touring, also with a new wife and possable a family he may have felt it was the time to go. Previously Opeth had toured much less bit RR had told the band to up the work rate so i expect to Peter it turned from a nice way to ear a living to feeling that gettting up on stage almost every day for 18 months was a bit to much like normal work except you dont get time with friends and family.
He may one day regret it but why would axe want to tolarate lopez comming in to help do the drum parts or Peter commming in to record and assist on the recordings when a differnt guitarist would have to tour them.
Peter an Lopez leaving has changed Opeth, i hope they evolve which they seem to be doing but i think it will be the next album before it all gels.

I have mixed feelings from what has officially been available.

Hate dumb people, really. Read the whole post of this Tratotac and thought he is hugely dumb. Sort of these bonehead fans, who like stagnation and hate his past favourite band just beacuse one of the former members left this band. He doesn't give a fuck how good is new member - he is just worse because he is new. Assholes. Go fuck yourself with an "Orchid" tin case.