Peter Lindgren come back plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can add to what I said at the earlier in this thread, is that both Lopez and Axe are fantastic drummers. No question. Both have very different styles and people will naturally prefer one over the other. However, having seen Opeth live several times with Lopez and a few times with Axe, I can say that the band sound tighter than I've ever heard before as RoadKing pointed out. People might still not see this as a positive and prefer the looser feel that Lopez gave the band, but I think this is the one fact in all of this, live, at least based on gigs I've been to, Axe contributes towards the band sounding tighter.

Oh, and FWIW, my all time favourite drummers are John Bonham and Martin Lopez, so go figure me defending Axe!.

Un-related dude, I'm talking about their playing style, and I specified "traditional metal" style. Listen to the new guys try to play anything before Watershed and if you can't tell the difference, especially in less-traditional passages, then you really don't know what you're talking about. Watch a live DVD with Lopez, then watch/listen to Axenrot live. It makes Axenrot sound like an amateur, and that's a difficult thing to do, as he's a fantastic drummer when playing the stuff on Watershed.

rofl. how did i write burdon instead of burden?
anyway, yea, there is a difference and that's quite normal. axe style is more straight forward. but sounding like an amateur... come on man ... dont be such whiney bitch about some new members.

Two totally different fucking drum styles...no comparison. Axe doesn't do fills like Lopez does, but yes Axe is a tighter drummer in the sense that he is on point 100% of the time while Lopez had a more 'free' drumming style. - meh I suck at explaining how I feel:loco:

Axe is definately a good drummer but he just can't play the songs like Lopez.....The Roundhouse Tapes is a good example for that I don't get that same feeling I get from Lopez the Axe feels like he is skipping some of the fills..but anyway he is good on Watershed.

I don't really care what "style" you're talking about, I've seen the Lopez DVDs, and I've seen the new band twice, and I'm also a gigging, semi-professional musician, and if you think that this band in any way, shape or form for even one second comes across as "amateurish", then clearly, one of us has no fucking clue whatsoever what they're talking about, I'm just afraid you may need to consult your nearest reflective surface as to who is the real culprit.

You prefer Lopez, FINE, the guy was a great drummer, but so is Axe, and the overwhelming opinion from my other musician friends in attendance as well as pretty much everyone else I spoke to at the gig was that this band is incredibly tight, and most of those compliments were directed at Axe in particular. It's completely idiotic to insinuate that the guy sounds great playing the Watershed material, some of the most intricate and demanding shit the band has ever recorded, with breakneck time shifts, stops and complete changes in texture, yet somehow sounds like an "amateur" hack playing the earlier material, which is totally, completely and hopelessly WRONG. If you're so blinded by your man-love for Lopez that it precludes you from ever enjoying the band again, good for you, knock yourself out, just please quit trying to sell everyone your flawed reason as fact.

'Preciate it...
So let me get this straight... Because I hear something, and you/your friends don't, I'm wrong and stupid, and you're smart and right. Correct?

If you'd like to discuss the difference between playing all of the correct notes on-time, and the whole band grooving as a whole, I'd be open to do so (albeit, in another thread or Private Message, as this "OMGgz Come back Peter!?!1one" thread isn't the greatest place to discuss anything seriously). Lopez had a very laid-back style that fit with their earlier material quite well, Axenrot has a very straight-forward, super-tight/precise style that fits with their newer material perfectly. Fredrik is an extremely good, very tight/precise player, who in combination with Axenrot has brought a new/fresh more traditional metal feel to Opeth, and I enjoy it quite a lot. However, when playing their earlier material live, particularly the parts that call for a more laid-back, more groovy feel, it sounds/feels quite different than it did with the more laid-back playing style of the previous members.

If you can't hear that, and would rather personally insult me, feel free. We both enjoy the same band, and it seems ridiculous to argue about it.

You're entitled to your own opinions of course. And I loved playing with Lopez, however I enjoy playing with Axe more.

Bottom line is, it's a little pointless to discuss who's the "best", because the only drummer in Opeth is Axe. Lingering on how good it was "back then" is wasting time if you ask me. Although I kinda understand your way of thinking since I'm a nostalgic myself.

However, saying Axe is an amateur is not only out of order and retarded. It means you don't have a clue about drumming whatsoever....

I've never played with a more solid drummer in my life than Axe, and then you have to take into consideration I've played with Gene Hoglan and Lopez amongst others...

Just what I think...

Cheers
Mike

You're entitled to your own opinions of course. And I loved playing with Lopez, however I enjoy playing with Axe more.

Bottom line is, it's a little pointless to discuss who's the "best", because the only drummer in Opeth is Axe. Lingering on how good it was "back then" is wasting time if you ask me. Although I kinda understand your way of thinking since I'm a nostalgic myself.

However, saying Axe is an amateur is not only out of order and retarded. It means you don't have a clue about drumming whatsoever....

I've never played with a more solid drummer in my life than Axe, and then you have to take into consideration I've played with Gene Hoglan and Lopez amongst others...

Just what I think...

Cheers
Mike

First-off, let me apologize for my poor wording: I didn't mean to insinuate that Axe is an "amateur". Obviously, re-reading my post, there's really no other way to interpret what I said, which is why I attempted to re-phrase myself in the following post...

Lopez had a very laid-back style that fit with their earlier material quite well, Axenrot has a very straight-forward, super-tight/precise style that fits with their newer material perfectly. Fredrik is an extremely good, very tight/precise player, who in combination with Axenrot has brought a new/fresh more traditional metal feel to Opeth, and I enjoy it quite a lot. However, when playing their earlier material live, particularly the parts that call for a more laid-back, more groovy feel, it sounds/feels quite different than it did with the more laid-back playing style of the previous members.

Again, I chose the wrong wording to express what I was trying to say, and I deserve the criticism I've received for it. However, I do stand by my observations from an audience's point of view.

That said, having been through member changes in my own band, even at the extremely-microscopic-nobody-level we're at, we've received some pretty ridiculous criticism on new members, so I can understand where you're coming from, Mikael. I've said essentially the same thing to random fans as you said to me! And knowing how it feels to have dumbass fans say stupid shit like I said, makes me feel even worse about it. Especially considering Opeth has been my favorite band for quite some time, and I look up to you as much as is healthy to do so. I didn't mean to criticise or demean either/any of the new members, it'll just take me some time to get used to the new, more straight-forward vibe they give the older material.

Now excuse me while I duck out and listen to Watershed for the 10,000th time!

Status
Not open for further replies.