Peter Lindgren come back plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
How could Peter have had such an effect on an Opeth album when he contributed no riffs whatsoever ?

Martin Lopez had a much greater influence than Peter Lindgren, and he left too. If you dislike Watershed and want to blame it to the lineup changes, Lopez is the way to go, not Lindgren.
Agreed (although I must say that I really, really enjoy Watershed). My point is that their back-catalog isn't pulled off nearly as well live as it used to be. I blame the lineup change for that, but the style change was undoubtedly Mikael's idea.

Totally agree. Peter leaving has had more of an effect than most people like to admit to imo; just look at Watershed ffs - an ok album in its own right - but as you say, in the grand scheme of things (and taking previous observations into account ;) ) it's actually quite mediocre.

it's not about not liking to admit it, it's about not actually thinking that ...

Watershed is an amazing album ... after listening mainly to D&D, Ghost Reveries and Watershed the past months I finally listened again to the older ones, and the growth and development they made became so much clearer, even Still Life did less for me all of a sudden!

Perhaps in 10 years or less you might agree ... give it some time, it still is a new album and needs time to approach it with some perspective (only now I appreciate GR so much more). and like others said rightfully, listen to Lopez and Mendez on the first record(s) they contributed on and compare that with a bit later ... the new members will grow much more in Opeth (Per's contribution improved immensely from GR to Watershed).

Anyway, way am I waisting my time on this?

Mike said it himself, Fred would be looking at Mike's fingers and play exactly what he was playing to get it right and tight, he also said that often with Peter they would be playing completely different things. Peter left, nobody kicked him out, despite Mike not being that that happy with his energy delivery I think. The band sounds tight and even Mendez agrees that this is the strongest line up so far so it's not just one person that believes that. Peter was awesome but he's gone now for a looong time so just accept it!

I could easily imagine how the same Peter-praisers the would create the same thread if the change would have been from Fredrik to Peter. Poor Peter, he would be bashed probably even more.

Totally agree. Peter leaving has had more of an effect than most people like to admit to imo; just look at Watershed ffs - an ok album in its own right - but as you say, in the grand scheme of things (and taking previous observations into account ;) ) it's actually quite mediocre.

i don't see how peter has anything to do with that. he was there for GR, another "mediocre" opeth installment (imo). whether you like to admit it or not, peter's contribution to the band was basically null. whatever you hear on the album is mike's imagination.

I loved the Pete & Martin L. era as much as anyone, but after witnessing these guys tear it the fuck up again last night in Orlando, I'm all about the Fred & Axe lineup right now! Both are phenomenal players who add a whole new energy and dynamic that is at once fresh and yet decidedly still VERY "Opeth"!

If they can keep this lineup stable for a while, they're going to do some very, very great things together! I'm totally stoked to think about what the future holds for this band.

I would've liked to have heard at least one more new song last night though, either "Hessian Peel" or "Derelict Herds", but what an amazing show! The chemistry was obvious and contagious, and I've never seen Mike smile that much on stage before. And Per is officially now the King of the Headbangers in my book! I was waiting for the dude's head to come flying off and roll out into the crowd! Oh yeah, I was on his side of the stage, and Fred's JVM Marshall tone is the TITS, btw! :headbang:

[KOTNO]Narrot;7732806 said:
about both new guys in opeth being only about metal: ehm, check burdon, ok?
Un-related dude, I'm talking about their playing style, and I specified "traditional metal" style. Listen to the new guys try to play anything before Watershed and if you can't tell the difference, especially in less-traditional passages, then you really don't know what you're talking about. Watch a live DVD with Lopez, then watch/listen to Axenrot live. It makes Axenrot sound like an amateur, and that's a difficult thing to do, as he's a fantastic drummer when playing the stuff on Watershed.

lol axenrot doesnt sound at all amateur in anyway. lopez always did incredible and intricate fills that complimented the music, but in a live situation (i saw them twice with lopez) he would be up and down with his tempos quite erratically. with axenrot you can rely on everything being super tight in the live environment, just without the epic lopez fills. I think also the drums took far less time to record than on other albums because of how exact axe's drumming is..in comparison to lopez.

lopez is a great drummer though, im not discrediting, just sticking up for axe who is fucking top notch.

Un-related dude, I'm talking about their playing style, and I specified "traditional metal" style. Listen to the new guys try to play anything before Watershed and if you can't tell the difference, especially in less-traditional passages, then you really don't know what you're talking about. Watch a live DVD with Lopez, then watch/listen to Axenrot live. It makes Axenrot sound like an amateur, and that's a difficult thing to do, as he's a fantastic drummer when playing the stuff on Watershed.

I don't really care what "style" you're talking about, I've seen the Lopez DVDs, and I've seen the new band twice, and I'm also a gigging, semi-professional musician, and if you think that this band in any way, shape or form for even one second comes across as "amateurish", then clearly, one of us has no fucking clue whatsoever what they're talking about, I'm just afraid you may need to consult your nearest reflective surface as to who is the real culprit.

You prefer Lopez, FINE, the guy was a great drummer, but so is Axe, and the overwhelming opinion from my other musician friends in attendance as well as pretty much everyone else I spoke to at the gig was that this band is incredibly tight, and most of those compliments were directed at Axe in particular. It's completely idiotic to insinuate that the guy sounds great playing the Watershed material, some of the most intricate and demanding shit the band has ever recorded, with breakneck time shifts, stops and complete changes in texture, yet somehow sounds like an "amateur" hack playing the earlier material, which is totally, completely and hopelessly WRONG. If you're so blinded by your man-love for Lopez that it precludes you from ever enjoying the band again, good for you, knock yourself out, just please quit trying to sell everyone your flawed reason as fact.

'Preciate it...

^I agree on what you said about amateurism stuff. I am not a drummer myself but I am wondering this, were you serious about Axe's drumming is way more harder and intricate? Because Lopez's lines seemed harder to come up with. (though maybe playing the two may differ, but hey if you are a drummer then I would appreciate and in depth analysis of the two drummers (styles,creativity and complexity. the creativity may be subjective but speed and complexity shouldnt be))

Personally, I would rate Lopez much better than Axe, just basing my opinions on what I hear.. His drum lines stand out more, better fluidity, awesome fills and very good tempo and for that matter goes better with the music overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.