We Need To Hear From Mike/peter!...

Regardless, this really loves the manjuice. I'm not sure now if I'm willing to fork over $40 or so to buy a promotional tool, with about 95% of my favourite Opeth catalogue excluded.

I understand as Mike said up there, they can't do much about it, and the label is looking after their own interests so it's fair enough. At least I get to see them later on in the year, lookin forward to that, haha.

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
I know guys it's a little bit wierd this.
Reason is publishing rights...we have, I don't know 3 different publishers so it's gonna be a problem....I don't know exactly why really. We're only allowed to play songs from our MFN catalogue.
Thing is that Shepards bush is not a super excusive gig, other than it's set up for the DVD. We'll be on tour for "Damnation" playting only soft songs but for that show we'll pull out a few heavy numbers as it's "a night of Deliverance and Damnation". Basically it's done to promote the albums, not some night of ol' favourites. I totally understand what you mean and I do agree it's a little fukked up. The company have been on our backs for a DVD for a long time, but I reckon the real reason for this DVD is promotion.

Cheers
Mike

Cheers for getting back to us.

This clears things up alot,and im pleased that you agree with the situation being very fucked up.But i know for a fact that this show is still going to be incredible,and i know that after all of this has passed, that everyone will be chuffed with that dvd.

Is there anything else you can tell us about this dvd though.Will it include backstage drinking games with nevermore and stuff?:D
Or is it going to be just the live show?

I really don't see any reason why songs like melinda, benigted etc, even the heavy stuff can't be played at the gig. If there was an extra hour added to the show with stuff that Opeth have already rehersed that is exclusive to the fans going to the gig, that would be even more special.
I realise that a 3 hour show is maybe asking a little too much, but Mike, I'm sure i speak for everyone hear when i say that we would have been willing to pay any amount of money too see you guys performing a gig such as this.
Please talk to the guys and try and pull out some older songs for us.
I just found out that you guys arn't able to play an Irish date on this tour, so i'm spending every pennty I have to get to see you guys at this gig in London and i'm sure it will be the best night of my life, just bear in mind that we, your fans and customers love all of your material and hardly think i'ts fair that we will only hear material from the last three albums.
I WANT ADVENT!!!

I know that i'm in no position to be stating any sort of opinion on the matter, i would just like you to know that i'm willing to go to the ends of the earth for your band, and i think you should listen to us if we are at all being reasonable.

Infinite respect and love
Kevy

Regardless, this really loves the manjuice. I'm not sure now if I'm willing to fork over $40 or so to buy a promotional tool, with about 95% of my favourite Opeth catalogue excluded.

I agree with you to an extent, but what does it matter to you what the intentions of the record company are? It's still a live show. It's stupid that they'd do it as a promotional thing (if Mikael Akerfeldt here is indeed right ;p) but it's still going to be an enjoyable concert, I think. Ruins the fun of finding bootlegs a bit, but whatever.

I'm sure to make up for the limitations they'll play some songs they haven't played much/at all... for instance, Wreath, Blackwater Park, and Masters Apprentices... All three of those would be kind of bland, though. The former two would be best.

It should be a good gig for you guys regardless, and im sure with all the fancy camera work the DVD should come off flash. And y'know what? For once I think Opeth might not have technical problems with the sound :lol:. Would be funny if they did however... just see Mikael running around the stage cursing, checking the leads and monitors.

We totally understand the reason for not playing the good ol' stuff. Thanks for clearing everything up. I can't wait to get it.

segaszivos said:
We totally understand the reason for not playing the good ol' stuff. Thanks for clearing everything up. I can't wait to get it.

Yep.

and like someone else said...play Wreath! I wanted to see it at the Deliverance show...

no FOM or TBYF... I'll NEVER get to see the songs played live.. this was my only hope!! :( :( :(

But yeah.. play fucking WREATH and MASTERS APPRENTICES and DIRGE OF NOVEMBER !!!!!!!!! (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and I'll feel a lot better :) cause you might as well play some songs you have never played live before.. it would be much better than watching a DVD of the same stuff thats on all the bootlegs... i want it to be special