Weeding out the collection?

I have become pretty careful with weeding out my collection. There was a time when I tended to sell just everything I hadn't listened to within a year. Brought in some cash in the first place but turned out to be pretty expensive in the long run when I dicovered that I wanted to have back many of those CDs. Stupid me! :loco:

I just remember today to take off Pink Floyd - "The Final Cut" and get rid of it.

Wyvern said:
I just remember today to take off Pink Floyd - "The Final Cut" and get rid of it.

Good move! All Pink Floyd albums should be weeded out. Just my opinion. :Smokedev:

carnut said:
... I'm sure some of it would fetch decent prices at ebay or so, but I didn't wanna throw my youth away like that. To be honoust, I would rather had given it away to the guy being sure it's sitting right there...

I got rid of almost all of my vynils as well. The only ones I kept are Accept Kozuku Ban as it is fairly rare, and some 70's stuff that is original pressings like Kansas - "Point of Know Return" and Steve Miller "Fly Like an Eagle," but I haven't listened to those things in ten years.

Bryant

Greeno said:
Good move! All Pink Floyd albums should be weeded out. Just my opinion. :Smokedev:
I can't argue with that, I'm quite burnt out on them..
By the way, has anyone done the Floyd/Wizard of Oz thing?
You play Dark Side of the Moon as The Wiz plays...
You start the disc after the third roar of the MGM lion on the intro..
You turn the sound down, everything on the damn screen in some way coincides with what is on the damn lyrics...
Just plain Bizzare, a fluke thing, I think...
Some of the Pink Trekkies think that it was planned to
do that..
Bullshit.:devil:

sixxswine said:
You turn the sound down, everything on the damn screen in some way coincides with what is on the damn lyrics...
do that..

It's fucking mind blowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've watched it like 10 times and each time you see and hear something new. I've even made a copy of it in vhs (the movie with the album on top of it). Anyone else tried it?

BTW- you start the album on the 4th roar of the lion at the beginning of the movie. Have the cd on "pause" then start it of the fourth roar.

sixxswine said:
do that..
a) Greeno: wrong Pink Floyd rules! But that album is a total crap. Was about to be a solo Roger Waters album (that already was boring everybody with his stupid I miss Syd Barret I'm so goth and depressive) but the label made it as a PF album (which pissed off Rick Wright so he exited the band).

b) I thought it was my friends joke, we did that thing like 7 years ago (amidst a lot of :Smokin:, I wasn't because I don't smoke at all...but I was pretty baked :loco: ) And I can't remember if it really worked but they were so space out, that who cares if is true or not, they even saw Marylin Monroe I bet:lol:

Wyvern said:
a) Greeno: wrong Pink Floyd rules!

Wyvern: wrong Pink Floyd sucks! :)

hahaha.... to each his own. I just never got the big deal about them, then again I never smoked pot so maybe that explains it. :) Nothing against any of you potheads. :D

The Wiz Of Oz and Dark Side does indeed match up.... it's very creepy! Like in the movie when the wicked witch first appears (all dressed in black) as she comes spinning into the picture in the song you hear "BLACK BLack black black...". May have to watch it again tonight! hahaha

Greeno said:

hahaha.... to each his own. I just never got the big deal about them, then again I never smoked pot so maybe that explains it. :) Nothing against any of you potheads. :D
I also never got the big fuss over PINK FLOYD. They´re the kind of band where I like a few songs but never an entire album and I don´t like the later PINK FLOYD at all.

AngelWitch73 said:
They´re the kind of band where I like a few songs but never an entire album

Same here. There are a couple songs I've heard that are ok but over all I think they're over rated, just my opinion, alot of my friends love em. However the couple of covers of their songs I do like are Voi Vod's cover of Astronomy Domine and Wrathchild America's version of Time.

Greeno said:
Ah SHUT UP and go to the dark side of the moon and get obscured by clouds behind the wall. :heh:

I just weeded out another album. Queensryche - "Empire" is just bored me to death!

Wyvern said:
Ah SHUT UP and go to the dark side of the moon and get obscured by clouds behind the wall. :heh:

:lol:

Wyvern said:
I just weeded out another album. Queensryche - "Empire" is just bored me to death!

Never heard Empire.... is that the one with Jet City Woman on it? Mind Crime was the last one I bought. No wait, I did pick up a used copy of Q2k (was that the title?)... what a load of crap that was. :lol:

Greeno said:
:lol:
Never heard Empire.... is that the one with Jet City Woman on it? Mind Crime was the last one I bought. No wait, I did pick up a used copy of Q2k (was that the title?)... what a load of crap that was. :lol:
It was my only albu from them, never a band that really convinced me and I have it basically because of 'Jet City Woman', but now is over!

Wyvern said:
It was my only albu from them, never a band that really convinced me

Have you ever tried the E.P. and The Warning? Both of those or fantastic, along with Mind Crime. I was never a big fan of Rage For Order.... I need to give that album another listen now.

Greeno said:

The Wiz Of Oz and Dark Side does indeed match up.... it's very creepy! Like in the movie when the wicked witch first appears (all dressed in black) as she comes spinning into the picture in the song you hear "BLACK BLack black black...". May have to watch it again tonight! hahaha

Well Greeno I would expect more from a fellow axe-slinger. I enjoy a lot of Floyd's stuff for different reasons, but if for nothing else Gilmour is a guitar God. in fact, I don't think you need to even be even close to a musician to appreciate the soul he pours into those sweet singing solos. He is one of my top five guitarists ever.

bryant

Greeno said:
Have you ever tried the E.P. and The Warning? Both of those or fantastic, along with Mind Crime. I was never a big fan of Rage For Order.... I need to give that album another listen now.
You sure do, "Rage For Order" is one of my favourite QUEENSRYCHE album and it is quite a brilliant album if you give it the chance.

I've got to be the worst guy on the planet when it comes to the "weeding" process... right Greeno. I hold onto to absolutely nothing. I've would estimate that over my lifetime I've probably had somewhere between 5000 and 10,000 cassettes/vinyl/cds. I have never at one point in time probably had more than 1000 of any of the above on hand. If I don't listen to it on a regular basis, or it holds no specefic function or memory, then it's of no use to me. I am not a collector, and basically can't get my head around the idea of being a collector. One time I payed $50.00 for an out of print punk album on eBay, keeping in mind that I don't own a turntable!!! This album was You God Damn Kids! - Geza X. Never even made it to cassette, let alone CD. Anyway... I got the album in, and Greeno was amazed that I'd payed so much for it... I asked Greeno to rip it to disc for me. He did so, and realized that he liked the album as well, and made himself a copy also. At which point he suggested I plant that vinyl away for safe keeping, a great find!!! I promtly told him that that was insane, and that the album would be going back on sale at eBay as soon as the ripping and scanning of covers was done. Consequently Greeno offered me $45.00 (if memory serves correctly) for the album because he said that I was insane for not keeping it. Item promptly sold to the man with the gargantuan record collection... end of story.

Oddly enough just a few weeks ago, I went through all my cds and did a weeding out... as Greeno has endlessly bashed me for trading a lot of old stuff,..... this time I just packed it away for a bit to see what happens down the road. I currently have about 1000 cds, and about 300 or so are still setting on the shelf for use. The others are now boxed up in a closet and stored away for some reason as yet unknown. Presumably for Greeno to "acquire" at a future date, when I finally decide that they are just taking up space for no reason.

As for the Pink Floyd and Queensryche issues being discussed.

I'm like PF... but they are greatly over rated also. The only CD I own is "Dark Side...", but I've owned others previously but they got traded, as you can see above. I would, however, love to see them live. I really think that's where they shine. I once rented a DVD called "The Delicate Sound Of Thunder", and thought it was just brilliant.... especially the song "One Of These Days".

Queensryche.... discussing them is a very tender trap. I loved the first E.P., and The Warning was great as well. I haven't heard Rage For Order for many years... but I remember liking it overall. However they lost me on Mindcrime, just seemed to be getting a bit too radio friendly, and less experimental ( I use this term in the context of the time the first two albums came out). Overall.. they just haven't been one of those bands that held out for me over the years. I currently own no Queensryche on disc, and don't have any desire to. They just seem boring, but nostalgic, when I hear them these days.. except for the song NM-156. That song still amazes me, an incredible prophecy that we are watching come true on a daily basis. Very creepy.

I gave Queensryche all the due opportunities sinde its inception all the way to "Empire" and frankly thata last one caught me because at that time I was hooked on 'Jet City Woman' and 'Silent Lucidity', but now they bore me.
I do remember 'Take Hold Of The Flame' when it came out and didn't grab me. Half the planet tried to got me into "Operation Mindcrime" and I never found it appealing.
You know is one of those bands that just doesn't click for you...