Weeding out the collection?

Bryant said:
Well Greeno I would expect more from a fellow axe-slinger. I enjoy a lot of Floyd's stuff for different reasons, but if for nothing else Gilmour is a guitar God. in fact, I don't think you need to even be even close to a musician to appreciate the soul he pours into those sweet singing solos. He is one of my top five guitarists ever.

bryant

Bryant, you have to keep in mind that I'm not into progressive music (or as Plan13 and like to say... I'm not a "prog head" :) ... keeping in mind that Plan13 is half a Prog Head. :) ) For the most part I like my music down and dirty. I'll take the NY Dolls, The Humpers andThe Hellacopters over bands like Dream Theater, Floyd and Eric Johnson any day of the week. That's just me, I hear MUCH more passion and energy in a sweaty 3 chords song than in any of Floyd's sterile sounds. Pink Floyd songs sound like one long note to me, the music doesn't breath or have any energy.

It's all a just question of personal tastes. I tend to like the more raw sounding stuff as opposed to over produced music (excluding 80's hair metal and some 80's new wave).

Hawk said:
Please do because that album is brilliant!! :headbang: :worship: :devil:

Hawk, I gave Rage For Order another listen last night (first time in maybe 12 year.. haha). I don't know man, it still sounds like the weakest of the first 4 releases. I can hear how it was a stepping stone from The Warning to Mind Crime, but it's like they weren't quit sure what they were going for on it. The production and the song writing are lacking on it (to my ears). For my money The Warning is still their best.

plan13 said:
I've got to be the worst guy on the planet when it comes to the "weeding" process... right Greeno. I hold onto to absolutely nothing.

I can name more than a few cd's you've bought 3 or 4 times. :lol: Then there's your famous line.. "I had that on disc at one time".... damn that one always burns my ass. :lol:

plan13 said:
Consequently Greeno offered me $45.00 (if memory serves correctly) for the album because he said that I was insane for not keeping it. Item promptly sold to the man with the gargantuan record collection... end of story.

At the time that was the most I'd ever spent on an LP.... but it was worth ever dime! A great album!!!!

plan13 said:
Oddly enough just a few weeks ago, I went through all my cds and did a weeding out... as Greeno has endlessly bashed me for trading a lot of old stuff,..... this time I just packed it away for a bit to see what happens down the road.

Good man!

plan13 said:
I currently have about 1000 cds, and about 300 or so are still setting on the shelf for use. The others are now boxed up in a closet and stored away for some reason as yet unknown. Presumably for Greeno to "acquire" at a future date, when I finally decide that they are just taking up space for no reason.

I'm just a phone call away, so let me know when you want me to get those nasty cd out of your way. I promise they will go to a loving home. :)

Greeno said:
I'm just a phone call away, so let me know when you want me to get those nasty cd out of your way. I promise they will go to a loving home. :)

No way!!!! I'm supposed to be collecting them, remember. I have to keep them forever! Quit trying to convince me to get rid of my collection!!!! :loco:

PS - Greeno - Who's that it your new avatar? It looks like Roxx Gang :worship: , specifically Dave Blackshire.

plan13 said:
PS - Greeno - Who's that it your new avatar? It looks like Roxx Gang :worship: , specifically Dave Blackshire.

It's Rock Goddess, early 80's, kinda like Girlschool.

Greeno said:
It's Rock Goddess, early 80's, kinda like Girlschool.
I though it was early Girschool, still the one of the middle I'm not sure if is a girl or a guy :lol:

Greeno said:
Hawk, I gave Rage For Order another listen last night (first time in maybe 12 year.. haha). I don't know man, it still sounds like the weakest of the first 4 releases. I can hear how it was a stepping stone from The Warning to Mind Crime, but it's like they weren't quit sure what they were going for on it. The production and the song writing are lacking on it (to my ears). For my money The Warning is still their best.
Thing is "Rage of Order" may be the most experimental and diverse album they've ever done, I guess that's why some people don't like it that much and prefer Warning, OM and Empire which are easier to get into.

Greeno said:
Greeno sorry man, I completely missed your message. Well, if you don't like it why bother? :D Its definatly different, thats for sure. Did you put on some headphones. turned up the volume and read along with the lyrics? Cause thast the only way to enjoy this album. So much going on that you almost don't hear when doing other things.

Fangface said:
Thing is "Rage of Order" may be the most experimental and diverse album they've ever done, I guess that's why some people don't like it that much and prefer Warning, OM and Empire which are easier to get into.

I agree with you on that. Rage is much more "arty", and to my ears it's slow and lacks energy...... it just doesn't rock.... :LOL: There are a couple songs near the end of the album I like (can't remember titles now) but over all the album is a dud for me. But like I said, I can here them growing on Rage into the album that would follow.. Mindcrime!

Hawk said:
Greeno sorry man, I completely missed your message. Well, if you don't like it why bother? :D Its definatly different, thats for sure. Did you put on some headphones. turned up the volume and read along with the lyrics? Cause thast the only way to enjoy this album. So much going on that you almost don't hear when doing other things.

There's just an over all lack of energy on the album, the songs plod along never really going anywhere. Since so many of you guys seem to like it I gave it another listen but I still didn't like it.... to me it's just a bad album. I can appreciate that they were experimenting with their sound on that album but I think the outcome of those experiments were a failure. :) The song writing is weak and the production is lacking. But that's cool, so what, they missed the target on this album, the next one would be a bullseye!! This is all just my opinion.

Of course! I understand. I have that with certain bands that everybody and his grandmother likes and they just will not click for me.

Pain of Salvation is one Opeth is another. Both bands bore the living shit out of me. :lol:

Hawk said:
Of course! I understand. I have that with certain bands that everybody and his grandmother likes and they just will not click for me.

Pain of Salvation is one Opeth is another. Both bands bore the living shit out of me. :lol:

Yeah, it's funny how something can blow one person away and bore the hell out of another. :lol: You just never know.

Have you heard the last 2 Opeth albums? I've not heard any of their other albums (they were a death metal band right? so I'm guessing I don't want to hear them) but those 2 are GREAT!!! Very mellow.

I really like what Akerfelt did on the latest Ayreon! :) But I am not opimistic about me liking Opeth. But, since you never can tell, I will give them a try.

I HAVE sold some stuff, but it was usually non-metal CDs that I had bought on a whim. Also most of my "un-remastered" CDs, meaning, when I bought a remastered version I would sell the old one. This I did with most of my KISS and Iron Maiden CDs. Still, there is a LOT of stuff in my collection that I haven't listened to in years but I still keep it juts because it makes me feel good to have a large collection of stuff.

Hawk said:
I really like what Akerfelt did on the latest Ayreon! :) But I am not opimistic about me liking Opeth. But, since you never can tell, I will give them a try.
Hehehe. I hear Opeth the first time covering Maiden and I like the atmosphere they put on the song ('Remember Tomorrow') but then I didn't like their stuff at all. Again I must agree that Akerfeldt work on "The Human Equation" is superb. Actually he didn't like to growl and Lucassen ask him to gave his best on some songs :D

Hi, everyone. I had sold most of my metal records some years ago, and am recently trying to buy some of them back on CD. I've been lucky, because it was foolish of me to get rid of them in the first place.* I remember liking "Rage for Order" quite a bit when it was first out, but I heard it again recently and I'm not that keen on it any more. I do like the production, where it's kind of slick and futuristic-sounding, and there are some great songs ("Surgical Strike") and I applaud the weirdness of the band covering a Dalbello song, but Geoff Tate has this kind of Tortured-Harlequin-Romance-Hero-In-Ruffled-Pirate-Shirt aspect to lyrics and his vocal mannerisms that I just can't get past these days (see "Walk in the Shadows", "London", "I Only Dream in Infa-Red" - even back on the first EP with "The Lady Wore Black"). I think back when I knew of far fewer heavy bands, I appreciated Queensryche's mild progressive tendencies and reasonably intelligent lyrics. Now I don't really dislike them until "Empire", which I thought was pretty dull, and there are probably an album's worth of songs that I'd still want to play ("Blinded" being an awesome example), but I don't get too excited about hearing them these days.

*Thankfully, I wasn't dumb enough to get rid of my "Parasite" EP, because it's the greatest. I also kept "Killers" by Iron Maiden. I think if I'd heard Cirith Ungol in the 80's, I'd never have dropped the torch in the first place - that's a band for the ages.

silverydevil said:
Hi, everyone. I had sold most of my metal records some years ago, and am recently trying to buy some of them back on CD.

Welcome to the board Silverydevil.

What albums are you on the hunt for? Good luck because some of this stuff is pricey now.

Thanks for the welcome! Good God, is some of it EVER pricey - things you couldn't give away some years ago, too! Practically all I had I can find reissued on CD, thankfully (like Trouble, Iron Maiden, the early Fates Warning ones, Candlemass, even Culprit, Sortilege and Defender) - some great things have been reissued that I remember seeing but never hearing at the time, too, like Wyzard, Sacred Blade, Manilla Road, etc., and some of what I had I don't feel I really need back (like Rage, King's X, Queensryche and Living Death). All in all, I think I have more metal I can really get behind now than I ever did.

Silverydevil - you sound like me about 5 or 6 years ago when I started tracking down the old albums from my youth. I started to notice that alot of those older metal albums were not around anymore in the used shops and so on, so I decided I had better get them while I could. Next thing I knew I was even buying vinyl again. :lol: I like alot of different styles of music but metal is my fav snd it's such a fun genre of music to collect! There's always some thing new to learn... especially around here, these guys are full of useless metal knowlegde..... and I mean that in the best way!! :)