Well, I got a new guitar...

Rock Hydra

Feel the Strain!
Nov 27, 2005
Buffalo, NY. U.S.A.
I got a new guitar within the last week. I built a couple computers for someone and set up a wireless network for him. We got to talking while I was setting everything up and found he used to play in a band during the 80s. So, after I was finished, he showed me his old stuff. He had a spare bedroom loaded with stuff, like a 12 string acoustic electric, a black JEM he bought during the 80s, another Ibanez that's like the Joe Satriani sig, but..uh..not, a 1956 Les Paul and an Ibanes RG220B. he told me he bought the RG for his son, who started playing but stopped and gave the guitar back to his father. So, I jokingly said "I'd take that as payment instead of cash for labor"...and he said OK. So...I he gave it to me. I'll upload some pics later, but...it's missing one of the nut blocks for the trem system and the trem bar, but the one from my Squier works in it, so I use that.

Now my question is...about setting it up...I tried...and I get it to stay in tune sort of...at D standard with GHS 11-52 strings, the only problem is...when I set the action lower, the strings start buzzing. Any advice for setting this up myself...or should I just have a professional do it for me?

Cliffs:
Got a new guitar for seting up this guy's computer network
Tried to set up the bridge
Action is too high...doesn't stay in tune well
DIY...or professional?