What are some 2004 releases that no one talks about?

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
I recently went through my collection to locate all 2004 releases. I'm surprised a lot of the ones I have are barely mentioned. Especially since I have awesome tastes in music. :tickled:

Capricornus - Alone Against All
A lot of people probably thought this was NSBM in the vein of Thor's Hammer. But I actually read that this isn't NS, but simply anti-gov't, anti-establishment, etc. It's actually a pretty good thrashy black metal album.

Misery Signals - Of Malice and the Magnum Heart
Not surprised this isn't talked about. It is metalcore, after all. But with 2 ex members of 7 Angles 7 Plagues, I couldn't resist. It's pretty good, but it's no 7A7P.

The Ocean - Fluxion
This came out of no where, and I'm still not sure what I think. It's good, but it's a difficult listen kinda like older Neurosis and older Isis.

Stand-Up Guy
Well, other than me and lots of Irish guys, I think this one went unnoticed. A Shame, really, as I still enjoy it, and it'll probably make my Top 10.

Dargaard - Rise and Fall
Their weakest album IMO, but still, I was surprised no one talked about it.

Cult of Luna - Salvation
This one got overshadowed by Panopticon methinks. Still, a very good album.

Red Harvest - Internal Punishment Programs
I thought a bunch of people were waiting for this one, but I guess not, as their has been limited talk about it. I thought it was good, but it's no Hybreed.

Monster Magnet - Monolithic Baby
I like it, and I think a bunch of people in this forum would enjoy it.

Forefather - Ours is the Kingdom
This one seemed to have gone under the radar. I enjoyed it, and no one talks about it. Not their best, but a very good effort.

Woodtemple - Call of the Pagan Woods
Very good album, but maybe people were waiting for Graveland. Dunno....

Bergthron - Faust Fur Faust
Probably a Top 10 for me, yet only a handful of people have checked it out.

John Frusciante - Shadows Collide with People
Several people here would really dig this, it's pretty damn amazing rock w/ some heavy drug influences. Mostly just some really great pop/rock songs though. BWD, Doomcifer, and J., and maybe a few others should take note.

J. said:
Monster Magnet - Monolithic Baby
I like it, and I think a bunch of people in this forum would enjoy it.
Is it as good as Power Trip or Dopes to Infinity? Lots of sex drugs and rock n' roll?

Black Label Society-Hangover Music Vol. VI

This is what music should be, it's just pure emotion. Anyone who disregards it because of the band's popularity or previous output is doing themselves a disservice.

Anata-Under a Stone With No Inscription

For as good as this is, it has gotten a shameful lack of discussion.

Winds-The Imaginary Direction of Time

Don't recall hearing a word about this one all year. Nice guitar work and a soothing album.

All for now.

Behexen - "By The Blessing Of Satan" (spaffe will hopefully talk a lot about it when he receives my CD-R, however)

ETC, but I'm off now, so more tomorrow.

I heard a bit of that Anata, it was surprisingly good. From what I noticed nothing much new, but combined melodeth w/ some grind influences.

DragonForce - Sonic Firestorm
I'm probably just not hanging with the right online crew to see this plugged. Stunning release, guitar pyrotechnics aplenty, what more would you expect?

BLAZE - Blood & Belief
Ditto, I should return to the Blaze BB :oops: something of a grower. Life & Death is probably the best song of 2004.

Intense - Second Sight
So they rightfully made the Seven Deadly Sins feature on UM, but not enough people acknowledge that these guys are 10 times better than Iced Earth! :mad:

Leviathan - Tentacles Of Whorror
Haven't seen this mentioned round here? I need to dig it out again...

Thanatopsis123 said:
Woodtemple? Graveland? Boring? The?

I'm interested! Tell me more of this "Woodtemple"!
Yeah, this is kinda like diet-Graveland, but I think it's good. The vocals are different from Darken's croak, and the songs are near as "viking" sounding or "march-into-battle" but more naturey or foresty.

If you like Graveland (Following the Voice of Blood), you'll probably dig it, but no guarantees.

hmm..

Tankard - Beast of Bourbon

I didn't like it that much but it got good reviews so I figured someone would talk about it. Old Tankard >>>>>> new Tankard, sadly.

Lugubrum - De Vette Cuecken

Really cool BM cd, I think. A little crazy and different from usual.

Nightingale - Invisible

I'm a sucker for Dan Swanö, and this one hit just the right spot for me :)
Doesn't sound like the kind of thing a lot of you would like though.

Quo Vadis - Defiant Imagination

Sounded like some pretty killer tech-death, same with their older album Day Into Night.

Augury - Concealed

I can't fuckin stand the chick operatic vox on here, but it sounded good other than that.

Nachtmystium - Demise

Only thing I've heard from this band, but I liked it.

I've got the first Woodtemple album. It's ok. Like Erik said, I'll reach for 10 albums before I go for that one in the genre.

New Graveland > any other Graveland (that I've heard) > Diet Graveland

These come to mind first:
Crowpath
Golem
Illogicist

And I like that Red Harvest. Nothing fantastic, but very solid.

I'm just speaking for this forum when I say that "nobody" talks about:

Ocean Chief - The Oden Sessions
Angantyr - Sejr
Lunar Aurora - Elixir of Sorrow and Zyklus
Nocte Obducta - Nektar:Teil 1
YOB - Illusion of Motion
Pagan Altar - Lords of Hypocrisy
Eyes of Ligeia - What The Moon Brings
Doomshine - Thy Kingdom Come
The Gates of Slumber - The Awakening
Tyranny - Bleak Vistae
Armagedda - Ond Spiritism