What 2004 releases have disappointed you thus far...

I love Oceanic too. This one follows the trend of less heavy, but I love the layers and atmosphere. The guitar and bass tones are gorgeous.
The new Cult of Luna is good, if you're into them. I don't like 'em as well, but still good stuff. Ever heard Transmission0? Their album 0 is good.

The big ones for me, though I'd never liked much of these bands before were:

Suffocation - Souls to Deny
Fucking boring and overrated. Sure, they can play, but that doesn't count for much around here. Saw them live too, not too impressive. Exhumed (who opened) was much more to my taste.

Necrophagist - Epitaph
Seemed like for a while no one would shut up about this. "Best solos ever" and all that. No way. I've said it before and I'll say it again: there was so much tasteless, wanking lead-work on this album, the first thing I thought was "PETRUCCI!". This isn't good.

Borknagar - Epic
Just didn't catch with me, I gave it a few tries. Didn't sound like much of anything special.

In Flames - Soundtrack to Your Escape
This feels like so long ago... but I remember how quickly I deleted it after giving it a pretty brief chance. Vocals killed it.

JayKeeley said:
And as much as I hate to say this, I think the new Amon Amarth is boring. The three song sampler Metal Blade handed out to the press obviously featured the best songs, because the rest of the album is very, very bland I think. I'll give it a few more spins, but what do others think? It hasn't really clicked with me yet, but I'm hoping one day it will.
My familiarity with Amon Amarth only extends to their previous three releases, so I'm not exactly an expert on the band. That being said, "vs. the World" is my favorite release by the band. I was hoping "Fate of Norns" would at least be on par with VTW, but it's not. It has grown on me, but I doubt it will ever kick my ass the way VSE did. To my ear, they really needed a few more tracks like "The Pursuit of Vikings", where the riff just makes you want to break stuff.

Zod