What are some 2004 releases that no one talks about?

J. said:
I lump Lamb of God in with those Shadows Fall and God Forbid type bands. They all just bore me.
I realize I've been here about 5 times in the past 10 months, but I could've sworn it was you who loved God Forbid. No?

Though it of course could have been you last week, but now you're "bored" of them.
tickled.gif
:cool:

markgugs said:
I realize I've been here about 5 times in the past 10 months, but I could've sworn it was you who loved God Forbid. No?

Though it of course could have been you last week, but now you're "bored" of them.
tickled.gif
:cool:
That was Nate and PJ. :cool:

Erik said:
I have this promo, it was sent to me by JK. No idea how to review it, I'm clueless when it comes to this type of thing. :p
Erik, it was quite simple. On the front cover, there was a leafless tree standing on a hill. The press release also came with some mini-poster of a dead deer floating in some murky autumn lake. So if NAD gets promos with guys stabbing their eyeballs on the front cover, you will get promos of trees and dead deers. :loco:

Megadeth, Illogicist, and Winds are all decent albums, but I doubt any will make my top 10. Illogicist's first demo is their strongest material, IMO. And Winds needs a real singer, though he has improved.

One that will be high in my list but nobody else has probably heard:

Death & Taxes - Alaska 12 Expeditions
Anyone who likes progressive music should check this out. Some of the songs are a little more radio-friendly than my usual taste, but damn if I don't love this CD.

Other good albums that aren't talked about: Grip Inc., Crisis, Canvas Solaris. Still, none of those are mindblowing.

Unfortunately for at least 1/2 of this year I've been searching out prog and fusion from the 70s, so I've missed quite a few 2004 releases. I want to hear the TitD, Isis, Quo Vadis, and Alarum CDs. If their last demo was any indication, the Alarum should be high up in my list, too.

I thought that Grip Inc. was pretty amazing, I'm pretty sure lurch really dug it as well. That one song ahhh... RANDOM! BRUTAL! ROUGH JUSTICE! whatever it's called, that shit has some of the most punishing doublebass evAr.

I just heart the Alarum, and I was a litle disappointed. It's technically brilliant, but the songwriting is average. Not crazy about the quasi-metalcore thing either.

Wreck of the Hesperus - Terminal Dirge

It's a demo, sure, but it's pretty damn good doom/sludge or whatever. It made Album of the Month over at Metal Ireland.

listening to Tyranny's "Bleak Vistae". No one talks about this EP/album (44 minutes). I know Doomstripper has it, and digs it.

Also, does anyone still listen to the new Morgion?

J. said:
Also, does anyone still listen to the new Morgion?
I just assumed this was going to be in my top 10. And then I listened to it again and realized there were about 10 better albums out there now. Maybe I'm being harsh, but I always preferred Solinari, so although it's very good, it is a extremely slight step down, so I choose to listen to the former more often. The two albums do work well together though.

I like it, but it never blew me away. Same with the new Esoteric. I much prefer Metamorphogenesis.

I think the best doom album of 2004 is Void of Silence, with Mar de Grises right behind.

The problem I have with the Void of Silence is that it gets boring. I cannot listen to it all the way through, and that is a big negative for me. Also, his vocals seem so monotonous after a while for that style of music, you kinda get spoiled with his style after "Spirit the Earth Aflame"....nothing comes close.

JayKeeley said:
I just assumed this was going to be in my top 10. And then I listened to it again and realized there were about 10 better albums out there now.
Heh, this was the conclusion I came to when I assembled my list a week or two ago. Still a very good album though.

I do. I whip that sumbitch out every few months and am still surprised how good it is. Stellar riffs, great keyboard melodies, and they are quite unique. I still need to pick up more of their albums, what a fun group.