Non-metal 2004 stuff that turns me on

One Inch Man said:
Oh shit, looks like Shadows Collide with People came out last year! More proof that 2003 KICKS THE WORLD'S COLLECTIVE DICK IN.
Okay and yet ANOTHER alleged 2004 release with conflicting info on release date, I've read 2003 and 2004 now. :Smug:

I know no one cares, but The Arcade Fire - "Funeral" got #1 album of the year at www.pitchforkmedia.com

funeral.gif

Funeral could open on a black winter night in any North American city, inside the mind of anyone trapped by youth and desperate for a way out. Its scene is set on the fantasy of escapism-- the urgent need we all face in teenhood to break from our parents' lives, to build our own and never look back-- but as the record progresses from its opening "Neighborhood" suite to face the trials and losses that come with adult life, its characters instead long for the security they once so badly wanted to surrender. Ahh, fatalism! How can something so miserable be such an infinite source of pleasure? No one seems to know, but in the few short months since its mid-September release, Funeral has quickly ascended to the status of indie rock's de facto album of the year, winning perhaps the most concordant praise from the underground since Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Famously recorded under the duress of three consecutive familial deaths, Funeral feels like emotional concentrate: It's wracked with grief, yet paradoxically uplifts through eventual reconciliation, acceptance, and hope. 2004 may have seen a crop of strong contenders for the first-place crown, but as our calendars prepare to release their final page in The Arcade Fire's year without light, no other album seems quite as deserving.

BWD, that Wilco album is on so many 2004 best-of lists, it's crazy. I might have to check those guys out.

I listened to a great deal more non-metal than metal this year, but I'm not going to bore y'all with the jam rock, retro-alternative and rap/hip-hip that have been plaguing my ears. :cool:

Music is so much better when you don't listen to just one kind. Imagine it took me nearly 32 years to figure that out.

I'm sure Korn is trying to be pop now with that "Word Up" song.

Non-metal stuff I've been listening to: Destiny's Child, Kiesha Chante, and Ciara. Just songs not the whole albums. And were those this year or last year... who knows? I don't remember. :)

markgugs said:
Music is so much better when you don't listen to just one kind.
No fucking shit man, I learned this long ago but opened up to a lot more stuff over the past few years. Plus how can anyone listen to the same stuff day in day out?

Well, I agree to some degree, but metal is so vast and there are so many different types of metal that no one will ever know all there is to know (I guess the same can be said of any music). When you say "music" in that sense, are you lumping Nile in with Skepticism, etc?

Metal is metal, from Slayer to Sunn O))). There is an absolute ton that I'll never discover, but with so many other completely different styles of music to take up my time, I don't even want to.

One Inch Man said:
Metal is metal, from Slayer to Sunn O))). There is an absolute ton that I'll never discover, but with so many other completely different styles of music to take up my time, I don't even want to.
Totally! I have tons of metal and of course I love it and will continue to, but when I hear something great from a different style of music, I'm not going to dismiss it because it's not metal, per se.

Ideally it would be cool to own or at least be familiar with every great metal album ever produced, but that is impossible unless you have no spare time and unlimited money, and I also can't understand people who obsess over music from one genre while ignoring all others...

I don't even have the desire to do that anymore. I've come to realize that there are so many great artists that by trying to devote the time to ALL the masterpieces would limit my time with others. If I had unlimited time that would be great, but there are only so many hours in the day.

Flashback to 15 years old, buying about 12 CDs a year and fully swallowing each one, knowing every subtle nuance and who did what where when why and how on each album. That's the level I want to get back to.

I hear you dude. When I listen to albums I've had since the 70's and 80's I still think of them as Side A and Side B, which was of course how I listened to them on vinyl and cassette. Four or five songs a side, and I knew all the words and every tiny detail of the music. No album was longer than like 40 minutes and bands always released one a year.

These days, I'm lucky to know titles of songs, much less words. The CD took away the bite sized "sides" and now I'm more likely to be more familiar w/ the first half of albums than the second half. Plus, w/ today's technology and with having more cash, I get infinitely more music than I did when I was sitting in my bedroom in 1985.

'gugs tell me about Widespread Panic. You mentioned them in another thread but I felt like bumping this one because... just because. I saw them on SNL years ago and thought they were really cool, especially Beardo, but I've never checked them out.
matt99_crew said:
These days, I'm lucky to know titles of songs, much less words. The CD took away the bite sized "sides" and now I'm more likely to be more familiar w/ the first half of albums than the second half.
True, funny how everyone started buying CDs because "you can listen to any song you want, any time!" and nobody listens to the back end, at least with tapes you were all but forced to. Screw rewinding!
markgugs said:
Music rules!
Yes. Yes it does. :)

Panic is probably the preeminent jam band today with the demise of Phish, although the Panic is on a hiatus right now, I believe. decent songs but of course the real goal is to spin out of the restrictions of conventional song structure and launch into improvisational magic.

probably my favorite jam bands, tho, are Moe and Govt. Mule, although the Mule is far more heavy. their recent live cd/dvd, the Deepest End, is just incredibly amazing, with soooo many heavy hitters, among the bassists preset for a night of music that began at 10:10 p.m. and ended at 3:35 a.m. were Jack Casady, Les Claypool, Roger Glover, Will Lee, Jason Newsted, Rob Wasserman, Victor Wooten, George Porter Jr., Conrad Lozano, and a half-dozen others. Other musicians participating in the festivities -- many of whom who had gigs in the Crescent City at the same time -- include David Hidalgo, Bernie Worrell, Fred Wesley, Karl Denson, Sonny Landreth, the Dirty Dozen Brass Band horns, Béla Fleck, and Ivan Neville.

Cool! I love jam bands, but am not into the whole culture of it and only really know a handful. I think it might be something I dive into later this next year.

Here's a brief primer on the big current jambands that might - I say, might - appeal to some people here:

Gov't Mule: as Liz said, these guys are very heavy. Zod is a big fan too unless I'm mistaken. Led by Warren Haynes (the Dead, Phil Lesh & Friends, Allmans), they rip and shred long, heavy jams soaked in hard blues music. Do a cover of "No Quarter" that has to be heard to be believed.

moe.: a fun band that blows songs way out of the water, often into the 20+ minute realm, but no noodling. moe. is all about their twin-lead guitar attack and will melt your face if not careful. If they're on, they're the best band going right now.

Umphrey's McGee: a lesser-known but quickly rising the ranks jamband out of Chicago. They jam, but unlike their contemporaries, they don't allow free-form roaming. They're incredible tight and composed at all times. They also have huge progressive rock, heavy metal and classical backgrounds, so they think nothing of getting the headbanging going. They are the most likely to be appreciated by fans of prog or metal.

Widespread Panic: it's important to note that there are 2 eras of Panic. Pre-July 2002, and now. In July '02 their founding guitarist Mikey died and they changed dramatically. When he was in the band, they were by far the best rocking jamband around. Their "jams" consisted of wicked, upbeat guitar solos over hard-driving blues-based rhythm. Very southern as well. Now they're led by George McConnell. I'm not terribly familiar with them, but they still bring the "heat" with regularity. Most longtime fans just miss Mikey's guitarwork, and rightfully so, he was one of the best on the planet.

I knew we had a non-metal thread lying around here somewhere... :dopey:

And ooo, yuck, my old guitarist/roomate ruined jam bands for me. Cannot stand the Dead, Phish, Dave Matthews, Widespread Panic, Groove Collective... any of that stuff... :yuk:

But, and i must thank Evil C for this one... he gave me a cd-r months ago that I never really played. Now I am playing it, and .... WOW.

Michael Haaga (ex-Dead Horse/demonseeds/Superjoint Ritual) released an album called The Plus and Minus Show. He calls it heavy mellow. And that is the perfect description. I will post a few tracks later. You must get this album. It even has Jason McMaster (Watchtower, Dangerous Toys) on it!!

THIS ALBUM FUCKING ROCKS.

This english group called The Music are pretty good, they sound like a over the top Janes Addiction.

Oh, Coheed and Cambria is pretty good, kinda emo/rock/punk but done quite well, as I usually cant stand such a combination.

Coheed and Cambria is brought up on the Kayo Dot board a lot, I should check them shitz. out.