Non-metal 2004 stuff that turns me on

Black Winter Day said:
[bArcade Fire - "Funeral": Like Wilco, I've only heard it once but it's definitely enough to merit many more listens. Not quite indie rock, not quite new wave, not quite pop, not quite post-rock... I'm not really positive what to make of it yet, but songs like "Wake Up" are just breathtakingly beautiful.

Ghost - "Hypnotic Underworld": Probably the album of the year. A perfect mix of psychadelia, prog rock and Japanese folk music (seriously), this thing simply rules. It starts out with a 4-part, 23 min. psychadelic piece, then goes into some excellent, emotional and progressive stuff. They throw the listener for many loops thoughout, but when it finally ends (it's colse to 70 mins. I believe), you can't help but be amazed at how good this stuff is. I really can't explicate it beyond that. It's like nothing I've ever heard.

Yeah, so these two are still real good. Especially the Ghost. Did anyone ever hear this?

Black Winter Day said:
I know no one cares, but The Arcade Fire - "Funeral" got #1 album of the year at www.pitchforkmedia.com

funeral.gif

Funeral could open on a black winter night in any North American city, inside the mind of anyone trapped by youth and desperate for a way out. Its scene is set on the fantasy of escapism-- the urgent need we all face in teenhood to break from our parents' lives, to build our own and never look back-- but as the record progresses from its opening "Neighborhood" suite to face the trials and losses that come with adult life, its characters instead long for the security they once so badly wanted to surrender. Ahh, fatalism! How can something so miserable be such an infinite source of pleasure? No one seems to know, but in the few short months since its mid-September release, Funeral has quickly ascended to the status of indie rock's de facto album of the year, winning perhaps the most concordant praise from the underground since Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Famously recorded under the duress of three consecutive familial deaths, Funeral feels like emotional concentrate: It's wracked with grief, yet paradoxically uplifts through eventual reconciliation, acceptance, and hope. 2004 may have seen a crop of strong contenders for the first-place crown, but as our calendars prepare to release their final page in The Arcade Fire's year without light, no other album seems quite as deserving.

The Arcade Fire kick much ass in my opinion.

i was going to be like all, is that the japanese ghost and then it totally was...now i need to hear that too

god damn shitfucking FRUSCIANTE.

seriously, i'm fucking shocked that more of you dudes aren't into him. he is a GENIUS. i've picked up a few more of his albums since this thread and OH MY GOAT he's so amazing. gaymazing even. chrust. i mean, christ.

Demilich said:
The Ghost one interests me most of all, I must hear something from it. BWD, do it NOW!

I'll do a gaypostit when I get back from the chiropractor.

i met her on the cb, she said her name was mimi
she was like an angel come to earth (come to earth)
but when i went to meet her
boy you should have seen her
shes twice as tall and three times the girth (girth)
oh, my fat baby loves to eat (loves to eat)
big fat ol' buddha belly and her breast hang past her feet
oh, my fat baby loves to eat
my big old fat-ass baby loves to eat

IVE GOT BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS