What 2004 releases have disappointed you thus far...

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Typical thread, but always a goodie.

The Great Deceiver's 'Terra Incognito' takes the cake so far. I was expecting some great hardcore, and what I got was a half-baked nu-influenced softcore album.

Eyes of Fire also was a bit of a let down. If I hadn't of heard Mindrot before EoF, I would probably love it. But I wanted Dawning Part II or even Soul Part II. I didn't get it. I still like the album, but expectations are dangerous things I guess.

Suffocation's new one isn't all that. The vocals are a tad weak. Effigy of the Forgotten, this ain't. Though, it has been quite a while for the band, so...

But I must say, 2004 is kicking the shit outta 2003.

Haven't come across a disappointment yet. This year isn't nearly as good as 2003 though, so far.

I really like Terra Incognito.

EDIT: I've seen a handful of shitty promos this year, but I wouldn't count those as disappointments since I didn't anticipate anything for them.

Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden

Mind you, I wasn't expecting much seeing as I was never an Iced Earth fan to begin with (you can't turn down a free album!). I feel sorry for Ripper Owens...every album with him on I've heard has been shag, but not because of him!

i would also say TGB for 3 reasons.... 1. it suffers from "SWTWC songwriting syndrome", which means the first 9 or 10 songs are very generic and average songs, and all the hard work was saved for the last 3.... which makes me wonder why everyone loves SWTWC so much and hates Horror Show, i found Horror Show to have strong and more creative songwriting throughout, in addition to being one of their most intense albums.... 2. Production.... the guitar sound is just so trebly and thin.... whats up with that? every album since DS has had worse and worse production imo, but here is the first IE album where its "bad".... all the others were good.... 3. IE are pretty much a full power metal band now, hardly a thrash band.... which kinda disappoints me...

on the bright side, Owens simply rules. i like him more than Barlow.

Borknagar's "Epic" was rather disappointing. Too much flirting with prog and dissonance. Decapitated's "The Negation" didn't live up to my expectations either.

Sunlapse said:
on the bright side, Owens simply rules. i like him more than Barlow.
It's cool that they have a singer who doesn't sound like he's only been speaking English for a week, eh? I could never stand Barlow's accent.

J. said:
The Great Deceiver's 'Terra Incognito' takes the cake so far. I was expecting some great hardcore, and what I got was a half-baked nu-influenced softcore album.
That's why I compared it to the new In Flames album, seeing as fans would like both. But oh no, I got teh flamed for it.

not that i think that anyone else has heard it but i'll have to contribute with something here :)
"lik - må ljuset aldrig nå oss" was a true crapfest -- shitty vocals, worse lyrics over an extremly boring rock/black metal soundscape

JayKeeley said:
That's why I compared it to the new In Flames album, seeing as fans would like both. But oh no, I got teh flamed for it.
Hahahhaah lozlozlzoz....

Even though I like Terra Incognito there's no way I'm checking out the new In Flames, I didn't even like them when they were good.

Bump.

Funny how "Soundtrack to your Escape" came out this year. In Flames doesn't even warrant discussion anymore so it seems.

Borknagar's "Epic" is this year's "Crimson ][" for me so far. Good album, but I wanted it to be mindblowing. And as good as he is, they need to get rid of Vintersorg asap because he's leading them up the garden path. This whole chaos blur spiral thing he's into these days will be the death of him.

The Haunted are finished. Somebody needs to tell the city of Gothenburg that nuMetal isn't popular with rich American kids anymore. You watch, The Haunted will tour the US now for the next 12 months with anyone willing to share a minibus, probably Shadows Fall.

And as much as I hate to say this, I think the new Amon Amarth is boring. The three song sampler Metal Blade handed out to the press obviously featured the best songs, because the rest of the album is very, very bland I think. I'll give it a few more spins, but what do others think? It hasn't really clicked with me yet, but I'm hoping one day it will.

spaffe said:
not that i think that anyone else has heard it but i'll have to contribute with something here :)
"lik - må ljuset aldrig nå oss" was a true crapfest -- shitty vocals, worse lyrics over an extremly boring rock/black metal soundscape
Good thing I read this, I was thinking about getting that CD. I was thinking it would be good since I like Armagedda....

Death Angel was a little disappointing. Not bad, but not great either. Not nearly enough thrash for my money.

The new Borknagar is OK. I'm not taken aback by it, but it's listenable. I agre that they need to toss Vintersorg. His vocals just don't do anything for me. Simen>Vintersorg

I lke the Amon AMarth more than I did Versus the World and The Crusher. But like Borknagar, nothing new here.

The new Helmet album has been released, though I've read that it doesn't match up to classic Helmet.

New Graveland this month some time.

Void of Silence continues to blow me away, and the Stand-Up Guy (who is in Metal Archives) album has not gotten old at all. The newest Woodtemple and Bergthron are also still impressive.

The Great Deciever did not dissappoint me, but it isn't as good as the first one.

In Flames is by far the biggest disappointment. I wasn't expecting much, and I got even less.

The Haunted continues to spiral in a similar direction as In Flames. That's a disappointment.

Electric Wizard's new one is definitely weak, but not terribly disappointing.

I was actually very impressed with The Glorious Burden. I am NOT a power metal fan (or whatever Iced Earth calls themselves), but TGB is very good.

The new Shadows Fall is starting to fizzle a little quicker than I hoped. But that's probably partly because new Lamb of God and Converge are kicking me in the mams.

2004 has been the best year in metal since 1994. Not much to complain about this year.