What are some good drum heads to record with??

doclegion

Contagious Destruction
Dec 31, 2006
I have a tama starclassic performer birch shells .
I usually use evens G2 coated they sound good on my drums
just thought i would post and get a suggestion or 2 :kickass:

im into g2 clear, or g1 coated for batter side. the g1`s are actually really good for recording! nice and open sound. I dont use muffling, or moon gels or anything.
I use g1 clear for resonant side.

I was using the genera dry for my snare, but switched to good ol ambassadors! cant beat em IMO.

I use evans emad on my kick. super punchy!

I Match the size of the drum to the thicknes of the Head.

Currently I have

-10" Remo Ambassador (Single Ply / Evans G2)
-12" Remo Emperor (2 Ply / Evans G2)
-16'' Remo Powerstroke 4 (2 Ply with Control Ring)

The Idea of using this Method is that the thicker heads provide Less Resonance and a "deader" sound. Bigger Drums Create More Resonance. Try this, and you will Find Your drums will Sound a lot more tonaly consistant while still maintaining the correct pitch for the drums "sweet Spot".

As for Kick and Snare That Really depends on your Taste.

I currently have evans g2 on toms, but I like the sound of the remo pinstripes better. Also powerstroke 3 on the kick.

I tune the batter head very low (just enough so you cant see anymore creases) and then tune the reso head a bit tighter than the batter. That gives me the fast attack and small sustain, but still has the meaty tom sound.

Also my kick is tuned almost as low as it will go and muted with a towel for the "click"

I Match the size of the drum to the thicknes of the Head.

Currently I have

-10" Remo Ambassador (Single Ply / Evans G2)
-12" Remo Emperor (2 Ply / Evans G2)
-16'' Remo Powerstroke 4 (2 Ply with Control Ring)

The Idea of using this Method is that the thicker heads provide Less Resonance and a "deader" sound. Bigger Drums Create More Resonance. Try this, and you will Find Your drums will Sound a lot more tonaly consistant while still maintaining the correct pitch for the drums "sweet Spot".

As for Kick and Snare That Really depends on your Taste.

That's some damn fine tips dude!

I was gonna say "go for thinner heads for clearer sound" but I think yours might make a bit more sense really. Thin heads on 16" toms might not be the best..

ew... someone said Remo Ambassador on snare batter-side. yuk... Remo Control Sound for me thanks. Powerstroke 3 for kick batter.

currently enjoying Evans G2 clears for toms, batter-side.

ew... someone said Remo Ambassador on snare batter-side. yuk...

That's my favorite on my Brass.... and a single moongel & it's wonderful.

Maple.... I like the Evans Genera Dry.

For actual snare wires, I've really been liking these alot:
banner_blasters_244X315_3463.jpg

Puresound Blasters.

i like ambassadors on snare with re enforced dot , nice snap.
yep, that's what i'm using.. the coated Controlled Sound with reverse black reinforced dot... looks gray from the playing surface... not into amassador-weight snare heads without the dot though

pic of the Controlled Sound w/ reverse dot
372115.jpg

for those of you that are interested in this head, this is from Remo's site:

"CONTROLLED SOUND heads are single-ply Ambassador-weight heads with a 5 mil thick black or clear dot in the center of the head. This combination offers a controlled, centered sound without undesirable overtones.

These dual-zone heads have a combination of medium and heavy-duty drumhead characteristics. The outer area of the head's playing surface offers a midrange tone and sensitivity while the laminated center dot eliminates high frequency overtones and adds durability and tonal focus to meet the demands of heavier hitters."

Diplomat, Ambassador, and Emperor are not just product lines for Remo, they are weight-classes, and so are incorporated under and into their product lines as such... so it can get confusing, e.g., the Controlled Sound, available only in the Ambassador class, as opposed to the Weatherking (which has no dot) which is available in Diplomat, Ambassador, and Emperor weight classes.

so when someone just says "ambassador on snare batter-side" i don't automatically assume "black dot"... and i just don't like Ambassador class snare heads without the reinforcement. personal pref, but i think we really meant the same thing Glenn and beyond dead... if you meant ambassador weight w/ dot.

those dotted ones look interesting....gotta check those ones out (the lighter ines I mean, didn't like the dotted PS3 .
I do like the non-dotted powerstroke 3 on snare though but I'm sometimes missing some "crispyness" with those.

I'll try the dotted ambassador next time

evans genera dry or supertough on snare batter.
ec2 or g2 or even g2 coated for more rock stuff
eq 3 on kick.

Dotted Ambassadors or CSBF (Controlled Sound Brush Finish), are probably the most popular snare head. I Work in a large Music Store and we would easily sell half a dozen a day I would say.

Controlled Sounds are Ambassadors? Didn't know that...

I thought that's a unique line. Just like the pin-stripes and powerstrokes are different models...