What are you doing right nao?

I've had 8 lessons now so I guess i'm learning really slowly :( still trying to figure out tense but we haven't learned a lot of detail on that yet. same with plurals, we only started to look at that last night. and we havent learned about the how or why of the different prepositions really at all.

I tried to make a sentence out of the thought i had while walking home. I had to use the dictionary for Vägerbete and utsida, but now i look up utanför and it has the exact same meaning as utsida. so is utsida technically correct but you wouldn't use it in that sentence?

And ok yes, I get the min/mitt thing i think. Its because of ett sovrum? so its mitt instead of min?

And i think i am maybe beginning to understand why it is det de, but thats going to take a while for my slow brain to really cope with :(

Tack så mycket!

Yes but it is more like this; "utsidan" means "the outside" and "utanför" means "outside of".

You are correct it is "ett sovrum", yay! :)

Hahaha most Swedes cannot even use "det, de and dem" properly really :lol:

I've had 8 lessons now so I guess i'm learning really slowly :(

I tried to make a sentence out of the thought i had while walking home. I had to use the dictionary for Vägerbete and utsida, but now i look up utanför and it has the exact same meaning as utsida. so is utsida technically correct but you wouldn't use it in that sentence?

And ok yes, I get the min/mitt thing i think. Its because of ett sovrum? so its mitt instead of min?

And i think i am maybe beginning to understand why it is det de, but thats going to take a while for my slow brain to really cope with :(

Tack så mycket!

i think you're learning very quickly if you've only had 8 lessons tbh, it's a hard language :)

as jonas said, you use them in different situations. "utsida" is used when talking about the exterior of an object, for example "husets utsida" (the outside of the house) which in this case would be the wall for example. "utanför" is used more like "outside" in general, i think you get what i mean

you're using the min/mitt thingy correctly :)

the same rule applies to den/det as in min/mitt, en/ett etc

then there is de/dem (which is sometimes bundled together into the word "dom", which is how both words are pronounced really), these are used the same way as they/them (which is more logical in english, so i somtimes think the sentence in english if i'm unsure which one to use, haha)

mycket bra :)

oh! and fy fan i seem to remember from Trollhunter originally i think :lol:

dat movie <3

utanför insidan , innanför utsidan. Swedish :erk:
Someone explain, why do we talk like this? Jocke?

because retard, that's why :)

Yes but it is more like this; "utsidan" means "the outside" and "utanför" means "outside of".

You are correct it is "ett sovrum", yay! :)

Hahaha most Swedes cannot even use "det, de and dem" properly really :lol:

ok :D i can see its sort of like the difference between exterior and outside. sort of. I am writing all this stuff down so I can try and remember, but im sure i will sound like a reverse version of Skwisgaar for a long while yet :lol:

Are you sure?? And what about Denmark? I hear they speak a very correct version of Viking down there. Thats what I'm learning isn't it? Vikingska?

wait

sorry

vikingarska? ;) I will speak the language of plural vikings!!

i think you're learning very quickly if you've only had 8 lessons tbh, it's a hard language :)

as jonas said, you use them in different situations. "utsida" is used when talking about the exterior of an object, for example "husets utsida" (the outside of the house) which in this case would be the wall for example. "utanför" is used more like "outside" in general, i think you get what i mean

you're using the min/mitt thingy correctly :)

the same rule applies to den/det as in min/mitt, en/ett etc

then there is de/dem (which is sometimes bundled together into the word "dom", which is how both words are pronounced really), these are used the same way as they/them (which is more logical in english, so i somtimes think the sentence in english if i'm unsure which one to use, haha)

that makes sense, de/dem, even sounds kinda similar to they/them. I get tripped up when the word order changes compared to english, or when you seem to add in a word for no reason (like det). But am starting to remember things like 'verbs in second position in sentence'. so that helps.

i think english is easier because there are less words, everything is very general in comparision to swedish where we have a new word for every situation. so i guess swedish is more efficient sometimes (when you actually can speak it fluently) since you use emphasis and more specific words instead of having to explain what you mean.

that made for two confused sentences, but i think you understand what i mean :p

an example would be this scenario:

your father's father is having a birthday. you would say:

in english:
"my grandfather, on my father's side, is having a birthday"

in swedish:
"det är min farfars födelsedag"

we have a specific word for each "kind" of grandfather/grandmother, so instead of having to explain it, you already know by the sentence if it's the mother's or the father's parent, and if it's their mother or father.

oh lawd. :D

lulz, teh postjump ^^

that makes sense, de/dem, even sounds kinda similar to they/them. I get tripped up when the word order changes compared to english, or when you seem to add in a word for no reason (like det). But am starting to remember things like 'verbs in second position in sentence'. so that helps.

when do you mean we add in "det" for no reason, example? :) den/det is used like "it"

!!! actually i have already learned mormor and farmor :D but apparently our teacher doesn't care about grandfathers :lol:

I try and direct translate stuff to understand word usage, and most of the time that works ok. i would translate:
det är min farfars födelsedag

it is my fathers fathers birthday, which is a fucking retarded sentence in english. which you will probably tell me isn't actually a sentence because it lacks some form of critical structure ;) statement. it's a statement.

but i think direct translation is making the prepositions harder to figure out.

lulz, teh postjump ^^

when do you mean we add in "det" for no reason, example? :) den/det is used like "it"

ok let me see...
I was trying to say:

what are they doing
Vad är de gör

that seemed to be the direct way of saying it. so adding in the det seems strange, but it sounds like Jonas said

Vad är det de gör = what is it they are doing?

but then i inserted are to make sense in english. is it tense thats messing with me? something to do with the tense of gör? but thats probably wrong.

"what is it they are doing" is what i would translate that to as well, to have it as similar as possible to the swedish statement.

i think most people would only say "vad gör de?", which would translate better into "what are they doing?".

saying "vad är det de gör", feels a bit old fashioned to me. same with the english equivalent, old fashioned and/or british :D