What are you G.A.S.ing for right now?

Yeah, the VMs are great rock amps... the very straight and simple circuitry with the additional, selectable gainstage doesn't leave too much room to fuck it up ha.

I know guys who have unloaded their entire amp collections aside from Vintage Moderns. I played one and wasn't THAT impressed, but I'll tell you maybe with a few mods...

I'm cravin' me some Russian MUFF! :loco:

...mm..mmm...mmmmmmm....

big-muff-pi-russian.jpg

The RG? Yep, RGT6EXFX. Neckthru with mahogany wings.

I like the new version with the Gibraltar-whatever bridge. I didn't quite like the Fender-style bridge on the old one.

Looks like the old one was also basswood?

Ibanez RGT6EXFX Electric Guitar Features:
  • EMG 85 (H) Neck PU
  • EMG 81 (H) Bridge PU
  • Basswood Body
  • Wizard II (neck-thru)
  • 5pc. Maple/ Walnut Neck Material
  • 24 jumbo frets
  • Bound rosewood fretboard
  • Fixed bridge
  • Off-Set Dot Inlay

I heard a clip from a recent album of some washed-up hair metal band (I think Whitesnake :lol: ), and as I recall the guitarist was using a Vintage Modern, the tone was incredible :worship:

As far as i know, Reb Beach is playing on the Suhr OD100, and Doug Aldrich on modified Marshall 1959's.
And i wouldnt really say that Whitesnake is "washed-up", they still kick an equal amount of ass today, as they did back then! ;)

I know, they still definitely hold it down, it's just hair-metal is so inherently dated a genre that any band from that era still playing makes me chuckle :D (and I'm sure they've updated their sound a bit, so no more epic gated-verb snares or whatnot :lol: )

Do want (for some time now):

GHNGN_lg.jpg

OFR, DiMarzio Super Distortion, Grover Tuners etc. = sex

Just tooo bad they don't make that dual humbucker version anymore.

A lot of old Kramers and whatnot seem to do it, it honestly looks retarded to me (unless it makes a difference in the sound, but even so, I doubt it's a very significant one)

It does make a pretty big difference in sound.
The closer to the bridge the polepieces are, the brighter the tone.. and of course, closer to the neck = more bass.
And for you guys that havent played around much with EQ's before the amp, more bass means less attack and smoother notes, more mids makes the sound tighter/crunchier, more treble means more attack & pick noise.

And considering this, i think the pickup is angled the wrong way.. because that setup basically makes it brighter on the bright strings, and more bass on the low strings.
I would prefer it in the other way, to get a more balanced frequency response between the high and low strings.

And considering this, i think the pickup is angled the wrong way.. because that setup basically makes it brighter on the bright strings, and more bass on the low strings.
I would prefer it in the other way, to get a more balanced frequency response between the high and low strings.

Wow, seriously, I completely agree - I guess they were using the logic of "more lows for the low notes and more highs for the highs man YEAH METAL LET'S DRINK BEER" :loco:

It's a relic from pre-trembucker/F-spacing days, guys like EVH (who else haha) started to angle their pickups to have a better alignment with the polepieces (at least in the first row).

If you're a super picky lead guitarist nerd, it makes a difference because not F-spaced pickups tend to be not as responsive on the highest and lowest string.

So yeah, definitely NOT (technically) angled wrong, the rest is down to personal preference. But really:

Edit: It doesn't really affect the sound that much.

Edit 2: Raising the outer polepieces on a not-F-spaced pickup usually does the trick to, but not every pickup has adjustable polepieces to do some proper staggering.

Edit 3: Bridge closeup:

img56095860.jpg

I'm sort of GASing for an Epi Valve Jr. or a Blackheart Little Giant. I mostly use sims for high-gain stuff, and can re-amp through a 6505+ if I need to, but lately all the stuff I've been writing has been just straight up rock. I actually recently bought a Fender Frontman to use with some old OD pedals (2 little kids = no loud amps) and I just hate the thing. They're cheap enough so if I don't like 'em, I can always resell them quickly.

A lot of old Kramers and whatnot seem to do it, it honestly looks retarded to me (unless it makes a difference in the sound, but even so, I doubt it's a very significant one)

You have a little difference but personatly I prefer oposite angle config like this
DSCN0444.jpg

:D

Or a better pic from my buddy (and previous owner Zebutcher):
Wr1.jpg