What are you listening to today?

Been listening to a few different things today, mainly while at work :kickass:

1. Arch Enemy - The Book of Heavy Metal (Dream Evil cover)

Its a bazillion times heavier, faster and better than the original :kickass::kickass::headbang::headbang::headbang:

2. Trail of Murder - Nightmares I Stole

Very prog-rockish, and sounding like an updated version of Balance of Power, this is Urban breed's lastest offering - something to hold us over to the next Pyra-album - if it EVER COMES OUT (I'm looking at you Jonah! :cry: )

3. Cradle of Filth - Manticore

Only one thing to say about this album - THE OLD CRADLE OF FILTH ARE BACK!

4. And lastly, since I'm going to see them next month, new-ish Testament with their version of Maiden's classic, Powerslave, from their latest album, Dark Roots of the Earth

Last edited by a moderator:
LOTS of Manticora! Since Christmas anyways. I've been listening to "Darkness with Tales to Tell" non-stop since, and then later ordered "Hyperion" (didn't read the book which this concept album is based on) which arrived a few days ago. For some, the vocals are an acquired taste but it's excellent after you jump that hurdle.

Dragon's Mist from "Darkness with Tales to Tell"

Cantos from "Hyperion"

Gotta love metal from Denmark! :kickass:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Love Manticora! Been a fan since 8 Deadly Sins when I got to interview bassist Kasper. Lars vocals are fairly distinct, but at the same time very similar to Jens Carlsson's on the Dark Empire album Distant Tides and Humanity Dethroned. Got their whole discography. Great picks Korruption!

Here, check out some Dark Empire if you havent heard them yet:

Dark Empire - No Signs of Life (from Humanity Dethroned)

Dark Empire - The Alchemist (from Distant Tides)

At the time when "Humanity Dethroned" was released, I can't say I was hugely interested.

I focus on the vocals a lot (which makes Manticora a very unique band to me, cause--as you said--Lars' vocals are very distinct), and I really liked Jens' lower register in "Distant Tides."

I don't know how Manticora does it :D. Solos didn't always stand out for me for other bands, Lars is a hell of a singer and some of the instrumental stuff they pull off in the songs in my previous post (and more) really stood out.

Biomechanical went absolutely ape fuck in some of their instrumentals and I'd just play the track over and over. Sadly, they're pretty much done for as far as I know.

Back to Manticora, Lars' vocals really tore me a new one at the end of "Beauty Will Fade," that's some serious goosebump fuel right there! :worship::kickass::headbang:

Well, if vocals are you're primary focus (as they are with me) when settling on a new band, check out these guys:

67446_logo.jpg

Their singer sounds like a mash up between Hansi Kursch and Russel Allen. Pretty unique, clean and powerful. Kinda like old school thrash meets Nevermore and Annihilator.

Their founder played for both Annihilator and Nevermore and their drummer also played for Annihilator. The Nevermore influence on the music is very obvious, as it takes a very talented person to match Jeff Loomis' leads, and Curran certainly gives Jeff a run for his money.

The band's first two albums dealt heavily with anti-religion/anti-christianity (hence album titles like Never to Play the Servant and God Burns Like Flesh lol). But they're a phenomenal band. Certainly worth checking out. Their third album is due out in the VERY NEAR future.

Shatter+Messiah+-+Never+To+Play+The+Servant.jpg

Never to Play the Servant (from Never to Play the Servant, 2007)

All Sainted Sinners (from Never to Play the Servant)

Bleed To the Shadows (From Never To Play the Servant)

SHATTER%20MESSIAH%20COVER.jpg

Pathway (from God Burns Like Flesh, 2008)

Idolator (first single from God Burns Like Flesh)

...Yup I'd say the Russell meets Hansi vocal approach nails it. I'll try to check them out further when my attention span allows it. :kickass:

Speaking of Russell and Hansi...
Note to Jon Schaffer - how's about some Demons, Wizards and Pirates for your next collaboration album HMM?! :D

This is what I'm going to be listening to... In my opinion, the band that started it all...

Listening to and watching AMON AMARTH live in Wacken (12'). What to say...this band blows me away on nearly a daily basis. Fate Of Norns is such a great CD and the title track is a non-dry eye everytime! Find the lyrics.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKtQpMfNssQ&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

Finishing up with my Manticora gushing, the samples I posted above should be able to reach to anyone really. But my favourites are easily
When Forever Ends

and

The Chance of Dying in a Dream.

The first songs from "Roots of Eternity" and "Darkness with Tales to Tell" respectively. :headbang:

However I think 8 Deadly Sins is by far their most accessible album (that's the one that introduced me to Manticora also), especially for power metal fans. They jolted up the bombastic factor to 11 on that one.

Whew ok I'm done... I think. :D

Stratovarius - Stand My Ground
(yes it leaked, and I pre-ordered it despite a very bleak outlook on it at first)

I didn't like "Unbreakable" at all. The drums sounded a little too trashcanny and the chorus was horribly unoriginal, some parts in there sound like they were lifted directly out of "Season of Change," and the overworld theme in Final Fantasy VI. Anyways fuck that song.

"Stand My Ground" is really good! Triumphant! Cheesy as hell but I've come to expect that by now. It didn't start out too promising when Timo started echoing "Thees ees!" a few too many times... However the absolute standout was that huge fucking chorus! Glorious! Glorious I tells yuhzz!! This better be the song they make the music video for!

Some of the 3 other songs I listened to a few times were great too.

I've been on a HUGE kick of Swedish Melodic Death Metal for the last little while, so much so that I now only have the stuff filling my tablet, ipod and car stereo.

While I've know of Arch Enemy for a long while, I never truly got into them until their most recent release, Khaos Legions. I'm now in the process of rediscovering their back catalog and have been spinning Anthems of Rebellion in my car every day for the last two weeks.

I've also been paying very close attention to the progress of the upcoming 2 disc album THE LIVING INFINITE from my all time favorite Swedish Melo-death band, SOILWORK. The new material that has been released thus far is awesome, but I don't think they're going to be able to top Chainheart Machine and A Predator's Portrait.

Lastly, after listening to the latest Insomnium album, One For Sorrow, constantly since its release, and picking up the 2 disc Century Media 25th Anniversary edition entitled One For Sorrow: A History of Hate, I've gone back in my archives and pulled out their demo and first three albums (Underneath the Moonlit Waves, In The Halls of Awaiting, Since The Day It All Came Down, and Above The Weeping World), and they're all highly unknown to the average fan, but are masterpieces and can not go unheard if you're a fan of the Swedish Melo-death scene.

Insomnium are great. Found them bout a year or so ago and still listen to them periodically. I would recommend another band- Before the Dawn...theyre not too bad either.

Nemesis was recently added to my growing collection of physical CDs yesterday. Great stuff but it's still shedding the newness factor with me so far, so I haven't really "discovered" the album yet.

Hmm ok well, it hasn't grown on me so I just wanted to get this out:
Nothing special, nothing original, and especially nothing melodic or memorable except for "Stand My Ground" but the lyrics are laughably cheesy at best (but not tragically shitty like "Fantasy"... *cringe*). I don't know what kind of magic Tolkki used before leaving the band, but with the exception of the self-titled album, I prefer his songs over these attempts. Except for "Deep Unknown" which was a masterpiece and the only listenable song on Polaris.

In my opinion, this is just a "Meh..." album that's extremely overrated. Suffice it to say - I'm not a fan of this version of Stratovarius.

Ahh there, I feel better now. :D

Listening to a Insomnium- compilation.

Amon Amarths- Twilight Of The Thunder God. This has to be one of the best f'in cds ever made. Embrace Of The Endless Ocean is such a hidden gem.

note: I know one thing I wish I was listening to...A NEW PYRAMAZE CD!?:yell:

Love this shit...what a great song!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX-XoZHwszc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

...Yup I'd say the Russell meets Hansi vocal approach nails it. I'll try to check them out further when my attention span allows it. :kickass:

Speaking of Russell and Hansi...
Note to Jon Schaffer - how's about some Demons, Wizards and Pirates for your next collaboration album HMM?! :D

Demons, Wizards and Pirates?! Sounds like something I can totally get behind. Would love to see something of the sort, or at least more Demons and Wizards, hell, anything Jon Schaffer I'd get behind. (There's a reason I have 'Iced' in my username ;))

It's been a little while since I've listened to some Manticora, personally I got into them through When Forever Ends. Right after hearing that song I decided to jump on board, checked out all their songs and instantly fell in love with the band.

For me I've been listening to a lot of:
Týr
http://youtu.be/YcXwrKmRAvQ

http://youtu.be/NMGQd6OyB1Y

some Circus Maximus
http://youtu.be/wcHX-14rOhk

and just came across Heljareyga recently.
http://youtu.be/fJLbBuq8Vug

Welcome aboard. :wave:

Yes yes! When Forever End fucking slaughters! I never tire of that song! Alas (with the other exception of Beyond the Walls of Sleep), it's not really among my favourite albums from Manticora.

I would really like to know who (if it isn't fictional) Circus Maximus' song "Last Goodbye" is referencing. :(

Currently listening to Stratovarius - Fireborn:

DAMN this song fucking RUUUUULEEEEESSSSS!!! It fucks with me that is wasn't included on the main album - which, if so, I think should have been the first track. My little joke "rant" on the album I posted may hint that I didn't like the album. Far from it in fact, it's pretty good except for the awful title track. "Power whaaaaaooaohh power WHAAAAOOHHAAHHH!! power power!!!!!..." spare me. :yuk: :yell: