What are you listening to?

Okay, so between spins of UtRC :headbang:, I followed a link to Enshine's label, hunting for more info on their upcoming second album. Found out there that Jari Lindholm has another project with a bit more of a doom metal flavor: Exgenesis.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of weeks ago a friend was ranting about the new Puscifer and said it was brilliant. Well, it is. Maynard James Keenan is such a talented bastard... I guess his wine is also very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just purchased this awesome album called Refugium.

The album as a whole is a combination of melodic black metal and catchy rock attitude, with occasional post-rock thrown in. His first album (yes, essentially one guy) is pretty standard post-black, so the evolution of sound on Refugium is pretty impressive.

Still trying to wrap my head around Scott being gone forever. STP and Velvet Revolver were among my favorite bands. I was always hoping Scott would shake off his demons eventually... :(

Stumbled over this band by accident. The most relaxing stuff I ever heard. I usually am drawn to beautiful, cool, interesting voices, so I'm surprised I got hooked on this.

What I'm NOT listening to right now is Borknagar - Winter Thrice, because CMDistro has AGAIN screwed up its pre-orders and won't be fulfilling them until after the start of February.

First world problem, for sure, but not a situation that restores my faith in CM Distro. I've never had an order for anything new go as planned when I order from them.

Dream Theater - The Astonishing (well, not right now actually)

The first disc is rather good, at times they haven't sounded like having this much fun writing since Scenes from a Memory. Disc 2 isn't bad either, there's just a pretty serious moment of tediousness halfway until things pick up again towards the end. It's a rock opera and certainly makes for mixed opinions.

Last edited:
What I'm NOT listening to right now is Borknagar - Winter Thrice, because CMDistro has AGAIN screwed up its pre-orders and won't be fulfilling them until after the start of February.

Bought mine from our trusted local (& independent, long may they rule!) Keltainen Jäänsärkijä the other day but only now found the time to listen through all four sides. Gotta say that I'm not disappointed at all. :):headbang:

...aaaand Winter Thrice has finally arrived (with t-shirt and patch in tow). Downloading and then listening.

Meanwhile, while I was waiting for it to arrive, I went off in search of music to play for my class where the students are reading science fiction from the 80s. Played some old Skinny Puppy and C-Tec and somehow wandered from there to Gary Numan. Listened to some of his more recent recordings that had been under my radar and ended up buying his Dead Son Rising and putting a couple others on my wish list. Looks like all his hanging out with Trent Reznor has rubbed off. His current sound is somewhere between NIN and early 90s Depeche Mode. I'm still a sucker for good Electro-Industrial.

Winter Thrice is uniformly excellent. All individual performances are strong. The songwriting is as strong as it was on Urd as well. So far I especially like "Winter Thrice" and their excellent use of Garm's vocals to add a soulful dimension to the song. Lazare's "Panorama" is also a really nice, more progressive tinged break from Oystein's epics.

I've read at least one review (Angry Metal Guy) faulting the production on the album, and while I don't think the production is bad by any stretch, I do think that it suffers a bit from too much "loudness wars" style compression. As dynamic as the compositions themselves are, most of the songs have only a 5-6 db dynamic range and the guitars themselves seem to suffer from this especially (as you can hear in the bluesier solo on "Noctilucent"). Since Jens Bogren did the final mixes and, I assume, the mastering, and he's usually one of the best at creating loud, compressed mixes that still sound live and dynamic, I have to think that the overall compressed sound is the result of having so many members of the band recording in different locations. Reading the liner notes leads me to believe that a lot of the album was put together remotely in each member's own studio and then assembled together. If that's the case, then Bogren may have been hard pressed to get all of the tracks to sit together well in the final mix.

Whatever the case, though, the recording is clean and all the instruments are well balanced. It's a far cry from sounding like it was recorded in the woods at night and mic'd from the other side of a hill. I just think it would benefit from a slightly more organic sound and some more dynamic range.

I wonder how the vinyl compares?

I wonder how the vinyl compares?

Honestly I couldn't say. First of all I don't have the CD for comparison and secondly I've only been listening to it in the daytime on my "office stereo" here which is not as good as the one over in the living room. But I don't have the ears anyway to identify decibel ranges and I rarely pay much attention to the width and depth of a mix or find myself annoyed by a "flat-sounding" recording. (One striking exception being the second-last Dimma studio album which I just listened to this morning - gotta give a presentation about them in class next week, but the song example(s) I'll pick will definitely befrom the latest one which literally sounds a lot better.)

I'm not overly sorry about the missed nerd points though, because I'll forever remember my guitar teacher (who also owned and worked in a recording studio) telling teenage me a long time ago how much he envied us unspoiled kids for being able to listen to music as "just music" without noticing recording flaws or wasting thought on technical details. I made a half-conscious decision there and then to hold on to that ability, and so far it seems I have succeeded pretty well. ;)

Reactions: tuonelan
Yeah, my ears cant pick out decibel ranges either. I use a DR meter for that. And I only use the DR meter when I have an impression that the sound is either dynamic or compressed.

I know Angry Metal Guy is a DR nerd and an audio snob, which is how the subject came up in the first place.

Music wise, the last 2-3 songs of Winter Thrice still blend together for me a bit. They are all good, they just still run together and make one really big, really long Borknagar song. Once they sink in a bit I might have individual impressions.

Definitely not complaining, though. It's a really good album.

Reactions: Eurynome
Initially, I really enjoyed the new Borknagar, but the album has worn thin after about 5 spins through. I've come to the somewhat surprising conclusion that I'm just not a fan of this band even though I always get excited when they announce new records and grab them when they get released. I love Empiricism and it's by far my favorite of theirs. Some of the earlier albums are great too. But again, I really only like one album, start to finish, out of their entire catalog.