what are you reading?

I'm reading: In God's Name.

It's about the possible murder of Pope John Paul I who was pope for only 33 days when he died mysteriously just when he was going to reform the Church of it's corruption and an emerging Vatican Bank scandal was going to unfold with ties to the Mafia & a illegal secret society group called P2 (Propaganda Due). Fascinating true crime investigation book.

The Knight Templar by Jan Guillou. A well written historical novel (2nd part of trilogy) about a swedish templar.
and
Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. Well, sort of reading, more like building up courage to continue it. This is one of the most bizarre, most daunting and most ingenious books I've ever laid my eyes on.

I can't believe all these threads still exist...

Currently I am reading Smartest Guys in the Room. About the rise and fall of Enron. Last one i finished reading was Cod: A History of the Fish that Changed the World. by Mark Kurlansky. Very interesting reading and very well written. I plan to read his other books including Salt and The Big Oyster.

7201891.jpg

Get's one thinking...

Just started reading Eragon series...heard it is supposed to be almost as good as LOTR.

i've read both the eragon series and LOTR and i personally would say that the eragon series is better

everyone just thinks of LOTR as "classic" because everyone else already thinks of it as "clasic"
to me this is a really great example of "groupthink"
people just agree with the group

many (if not most) of the people that refer to LOTR as being "classic" and "awesome" are people that read abridged versions, or read "graphic novel" versions, or listened to it on an audio book, or just simply watched the freaking movie, as opposed to the people like me that actually read the whole unabridged version, and actually honestly thought about it in comparason to other fantasy works, but just because it was an "early" example of it's type of "epic" fantasy, all of the newer "epic fantasy" stories are just considered "rip-offs" by people that don't even stop to consider the idea that a newer fantasy book might actually be better than the "original" "classic" LOTR series
as a person that actually analysed the content and structure and flow of the stories, i personally think that a great deal of the "fantasy" written AFTER LOTR was actually in fact better, with some of the authors actually seeming to learn from Tolkien's mistakes, although, to imply that Tolkien's LOTR series even had any mistakes to begin with is something that will prolly start a flame war

Eragon series >>> LOTR

just read SYBIL for the 3rd time, always makes me sick and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up plenty of times reading this one, also Cobra Event.

I've just finished reading The Passage by Justin Croning. I'd heard a lot about it and it actually turned out to be really good. Scary, gripping and really eerie at times, it's definitely worth giving it a go.

I'm probably going to move on to some more supernatural fiction, this one might be interesting when it comes out: http://romeospikes.com/. I'm not quite sure what the angle is but i'm definitely intrigued

i've read both the eragon series and LOTR and i personally would say that the eragon series is better

everyone just thinks of LOTR as "classic" because everyone else already thinks of it as "clasic"
to me this is a really great example of "groupthink"
people just agree with the group

many (if not most) of the people that refer to LOTR as being "classic" and "awesome" are people that read abridged versions, or read "graphic novel" versions, or listened to it on an audio book, or just simply watched the freaking movie, as opposed to the people like me that actually read the whole unabridged version, and actually honestly thought about it in comparason to other fantasy works, but just because it was an "early" example of it's type of "epic" fantasy, all of the newer "epic fantasy" stories are just considered "rip-offs" by people that don't even stop to consider the idea that a newer fantasy book might actually be better than the "original" "classic" LOTR series
as a person that actually analysed the content and structure and flow of the stories, i personally think that a great deal of the "fantasy" written AFTER LOTR was actually in fact better, with some of the authors actually seeming to learn from Tolkien's mistakes, although, to imply that Tolkien's LOTR series even had any mistakes to begin with is something that will prolly start a flame war

Eragon series >>> LOTR

no one's going to respond to this?

I'm soon finishing " The Shining" once again, I read that a sequel will becoming out in 2012 so i had to read it one more time, but in 2 days I'm starting Salem's Lot by Steven King

The Book of Vice by Peter Sagal. I trade boxes of books with a buddy of mine from college every year or so. Haven't talked to the guy in close to a decade, but we make it a point to compile the oddest assortment of books to mail each year.