what are you reading?

speed said:
Haha, well thats what I wanted to read. Someone passionate about the genre, explaining its merits.

But you have admit, 99% of fiction is plagued by bad prose, characterization and lack of intellectual stimulation. And no, I see nothing elitist about it. Is taste a crime? Why eat hamburger when one can have a filet? Oh the cliche.
not really moreso than non-fiction
most of "classic" non-fiction is really truly completely unreadable to a random guy of the street, so saying that non-fiction is better than fiction is unmistakeably elitist

Tongue_Ring said:
not really moreso than non-fiction
most of "classic" non-fiction is really truly completely unreadable to a random guy of the street, so saying that non-fiction is better than fiction is unmistakeably elitist
what i meant by "classic nonfiction" was "Mein Kamf" and books catogorized as "philosophy"/books written by people refered to as "Philosophers"
most of that is completely unreadable for a random guy off the street, that's why i read the superhero genre, they're able to illustrate social messages in a way that a random guy off the street can understand, and i don't wanna hear any of this crap about superheros being for kids either

the X-men was all about the civil rights movement, the mutants were representative of black people, proffessor Charles Xavier was representative of doctor Martin Luther King, Magneto trying to have the mutants rule over the humans was representative of Malcolm X's goal of having the blacks take rule the whites, the only difference was that Magneto's goal was actually feasable

DC's "Superman" was originally a dipiction of an actualized specimen of Nietzche's "Superman"

the fantastic four were representative of the four elements of the human psyche

Spiderman was altruistic to the point of psychosis/personal detriment from day 1, the mantra "with great power comes great responsibility" was in Amazing Fantasy #15

Batman/Punisher have no superpowers, they've become psychotic from post-trumatic stress disorder and Batman was originally just the most popular of a huge group of hero types with out any superpowers, the Phantom, the Spirit, the Shadow, the Rocketteer etc etc etc, and these were just illustrated versions of the "pulp" novels from before the great depression

i could go on and on, but i think i made my point

well I'm reading a series called " mission earth ". It's tupid, but It's long so it'll give me something I wont finish in like 21.563 minutes.

Montu Sekhmet said:
well I'm reading a series called " mission earth ". It's tupid, but It's long so it'll give me something I wont finish in like 21.563 minutes.

I really loved mission earth but I could never get over how much jettero heller was portrayed as this immaculate hero and nothing bad ever happened to him it kindoff bothered me for some reason. anyway, they were Great books and im glad I read all 10 of them.:)

Well I don't normally read, but I'm reading a book that just might turn me into an avid reader.

It's called Roses are Red by James Patterson. This book is the fucking shit. Great details and an even better storyline. A great read for fans of suspenseful thrillers.

I'm reading for school Shakespear's McBeth and Bernard Schlink's "The Reader".

In my freetime I read a book by Walter Moers but it has not been translated into English so it won't be interesting for anyone of you.

Neith said:
'The Zahir' by Paulo Coelho. I really like what I've read of his. Does anyone else read any of his stuff?

I've read The Alchemist, and it's alright. I'm not a huge fan of his style, it's sorta direct, maybe even ineffective but I sorta enjoy some of the mysticism. The Zahir is the one recently banned in Iran, huh? I should probably pick it up.

Maybe I'm just not as picky about what I read but I've quite enjoyed them :) Yeah apparently it has been banned in Iran which was the first country to actually sell the book.

Human Traces by Faulks, beautiful book. I just finished it. Winding and varied narrative, interesting characters, dynamic, emotional...hell yeah. No pseudo-intellectualism or pretence, just honest story-writing.

Plus, since Faulks is quite famous you can pick this up in paperback for next to nothing in decent book stores.

the gap saga by stephen r donaldson. book one was great, book two was ehhh not so good, book three was terrible, and book four (which i am on) is decent so far. but do to the declining quality of the books, i am losing interest.