what are you reading?

In Cold Blood - Truman Capote

Liking it very much. I saw the film "Truman" a couple of weeks ago and discovered my g/f has a copy of the book.

Seize the Day by Saul Bellow. It's for an English class project. It's one of the most self-indulgent things I've ever read.

Dead Beat: A Novel of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Very awesome series. Strikes a nice balance between crime/mystery, fantasy, horror and comedy.

Stephen King- Insomnia
Dean Koontz- Phantoms

reading both at the same time :) Both are quite boring to be honest.. expected more from King.. and never read Koontz before, but heard a lot about him. The beginning of the book was actually really good, but it just started to get more and more boring later on... Reminds me of some cheap horror film now.. when you dont feel anything for any characters...

I have just finished reading the first book of the Eragon Trilogy. Excellent book, though it can't compare to Lord of the Rings.

Nor can the second. The movie won't compare either.

Anyway I'm reading Tempest, a new Star Wars book.

I know, I'm a nerd:p

I recently read Vladmir Nabokov's Lolita, a book about a pedophile and his love for a little girl named Dolores. Yup, it's pretty much even more awesome than it sounds. There are also two movies, a play, and a musical made from the book but I haven't seen any of them.

The book was named fourth best novel of the century by Modern Library but my real motive for reading it was that Alizée's first song, Moi... Lolita, was based on the book.

These lists of best-ofs are out of control. Its obviously impossible to be objective when judging literature, art, music, etc. I really wish they'd do more of a Harold Bloom greatest of type list, which doesnt rank said works, but merely selects the great books written, and takes into account works from all over the world--not just the English language.

Anyway, Lolita is easily the most stunning display of prose since Ulysses, and one of my favorite books.

Curt, did you know that Nabokov suffered from synthaesia? I found that highly interesting.

I do, which could explain his very detailed imagery and vivid language. He also was notorious for being tongue-tied if you will in regards to oral communication. His literary gifts and impressive vocabulary did not translate when he opened his mouth. Plus he wrote non-linearly on note cards, stood up when he wrote, etc. Genius's are very interesting methinks.

But most interesting is that such a gifted writer was all but unknown until Lolita, a book that was rejected by publishers a number of times.

I do, which could explain his very detailed imagery and vivid language. He also was notorious for being tongue-tied if you will in regards to oral communication. His literary gifts and impressive vocabulary did not translate when he opened his mouth. Plus he wrote non-linearly on note cards, stood up when he wrote, etc. Genius's are very interesting methinks.

But most interesting is that such a gifted writer was all but unknown until Lolita, a book that was rejected by publishers a number of times.

This has some parallels with a talented writer I happen to know. :loco:

'The Ascent of Rum Doodle' by W.E. Bowman. 'Tis rather amusing, in a very ironic, satirical sense.

Now I'm reading 'The Wasp Factory', by Iain Banks, a once-local writer of immense talent. It's really rather disturbing, yet equally fascinating all the same.

The Bridge is better.

AND he has a greater talent for Sci-Fi. Check the Algebraist or Consider Phlebas. I've met him before too, thoroughly nice guy, definitely worthy of folks reading his varied and interesting back catalogue.

Fuck's sake. Now I've got...'Complicity', 'Whit', and 'The Bridge' to get through, and I don't really like confining to one particular author. My dad was saying that his sci-fi work is superior (and that his book on whisky was a load of self-indulgent pish, incidentally); yet my Media Studies teacher thinks he's never bettered 'The Wasp Factory'. Hmmm...My uncle used to work with him (Banks) on the riggs at Nigg. It's rumoured that he based both Frank and Eric on two local "weirdos".

Apologies, for I'm still quite blazing.