What aspects of production do you consider important in terms of Saleability?

Cryo114

Jan 8, 2008
Kent, UK
Think about the question before reading the rest of my post.

I ask this because while it's obvious that while the tonality of each instrument is/can be a major factor in the personality of a record, I would still buy a record with a song I liked if it had a few obvious mistakes here and there or if the timing was less than perfect in places.

That's just me though, do you really believe the general public would care about that sort of thing?

I really want to think this whole "everything-must-be-perfect" thing isn't just a producer/engineer/studio vs producer/engineer/studio thing.

*I am in no way knocking "perfect productions" I'm just getting the lay of the land from those who live in it.

I notice this when talking to my friends about new releases, they always comment on how they like, say the guitar tone on a record, but never mention that they noticed that it was an ampsim. I have never had one of my friends respond with a comment about the production as a whole or the subtleties of the mix, ever. In fact I'm pretty sure if I ever brought the intricacies of a mix up in a conversation, they'd all look at me as if I'm talking bullshit, or lose interest because it doesn't matter or they don't care. It's not exactly as if they lack musical ability either or a musical ear even, some of my friends are great musicians!

For me it's that the production fits the style of music at the end of the day. The production doesn't have to be perfect, but it has to fit the music, in fact some genres need minimal editing and to have a live in the room sound to fit. The listener would notice only poor production when the band/song needs tight production, but the product is sub standard.

I think that the "everything-must-be-perfect" attitude is a producer vs producer thing, since the criticism that matters always comes from your peers in this industry in my opinion.

Most people aren't all that interested in music, rather, sound + image (and the image evoked by the sound)
Those two genres are examples of this.
Both are extremely popular/trendy (as subcultures) and both are full of breakdowns with as much sub as possible.

Interesting question. I would think that being able to get the best out of the musicians you are working with plays a large role in how it will sell. Most of the people who buy records are interested in great songs, not necessarily the sonics. I'm actually not a producer - yet. But I plan to try and become one in the future, and that would be what I'd be most interested in.

Edit: Oh production in terms of sonics then. Guitar tone has always been important to me, so that's what I say.

Production isn't even remotely important as most producers think it is.

The song comes first, then the overall 'fit' of the sonics for the music in question.

The third most important aspect of a recording is a sense that the musicians know what they're doing, the 'sound of skill' if you will. Go listen to 'sultans of swing' for an example of what I'm talking about.

The intricacies of whether a tube amp was used or ampsims or sample replacement or mics and pres and outboard vs plugins... Its way down at the bottom of the list of importance

Professional sounding products are good. I don't mean that they have to be perfect, I like flaws that add character, but they should sound like they were recorded well and there was attention to detail. Before I got into audio properly, my band worked with a guy for these very reasons.

I also think being able to cover a variety of different styles is a great selling point. I'm certain a lot of guys around here do really great metal mixes, but I'd love to hear people round here do other genres that were perhaps more pop based. I'm sure they do, you just don't seem to hear about them as much over here.

Most importantly, I think the producer has to be the right fit with the band. I like to have a joke while I'm recording a band, make fun of them and have that back. I've been at festivals with a band I've worked with and drank well into the night with them. It's the comfort factor really. The guy might not get the best sound available, but if he gets a good sound and he's good to work with, I'd choose him over the guy that got the best sound and was a dick to work with.

Vocal at the forefront, and a lot of well-mixed low-end content. As long as the listener can hear the words and feels the bass, he/she is happy.

Production in terms of arrangement, pacing, layering etc. is much more important than how a song is mixed. Though with a good mix you CAN give the illusion that a song is better than it is. By making it feel 'large' you can sneak by deceptively simple ideas. The listeners won't be able to differentiate the music from the production, and you'll have helped the band get it through.

Shitty production can really hurt good songs though; I've been getting into Kalmah's "They Will Return", and man am I not a fan of that guitar tone, to the point that it slightly hampers my enjoyment (still pretty awesome though).

Shitty production can really hurt good songs though; I've been getting into Kalmah's "They Will Return", and man am I not a fan of that guitar tone, to the point that it slightly hampers my enjoyment (still pretty awesome though).

I feel this way about IX Equilibrium from Emperor.

Five more posts until the Post of the Beast haha

Clarity.

As long as it isn't a trial to listen to, and as long as you can hear the main focus point clearly, people will think it sounds good.

Though with a good mix you CAN give the illusion that a song is better than it is. By making it feel 'large' you can sneak by deceptively simple ideas. The listeners won't be able to differentiate the music from the production, and you'll have helped the band get it through.

i agree that this is the effect that happens first, but most of those albums won't be taken out of the shelfs again a year later, to get some more plays.
IMO, subconsciously the (pure) music will be judged.