What Borknagar do yuo recommend?

Derek, I'm reconsidering my recommendations. You should start with the self-titled debut. You will like it the most as it sounds a lot like old Satyricon old Ulver. After that you can simply go chronologically by getting TOD, TAC, and Q in that order.

^Ok, cool, I'm going to buy me some Borknagar this month, probably after I get paid for my Ebay auctions. Could you send me a song from the Self-Titled on AIM tonight? I remember liking the stuff from that album via Black Metal Radio but can't remember much about the music or the song titles. I've been listening to a lot of Quintessence and Archaic Course music lately.

Haha it's pretty funny, most people I know that don't like Borknagar think that's one of the best produced BM albums ever. :lol:

S/t has it's moments but overall it's just a slightly above average black metal album. If you deny that you're just blinded by fanboyism.

I'm not agree at all.

For me, a guy who started to hear black metal black back at 93-94, the S/T album was something unique (and still it is).

On those days, to hear a song like Vintervredets Sjelesagn was truly amazing. The rawness, the furious Grim drumwork, that 'ancient' vibe generated by the folk guitars and the amazing Garm voice were something with no equal. (Ulver's bergtatt wasn't so brutal as this album, and the next Ulver move on 95 was an acoustic departure - Kveldsjanger).

I agree, Bergtatt doesn't sound as brutal, but I kinda prefer it over the Borky s/t. It sounds amazing for a early 90's folk-BM release . I love the "production" - good acoustic drum sound and cymbals aren't overpowering, upfront bass, nice acoustic guitars.

Hmm, I'm a huge Ulver fanboy, but I always found Bergtatt a bit boring. I don't know why, it just never got to me. That might be the only Ulver album I'm not in love with.

Rivfadír;7135962 said:
Hmm, I'm a huge Ulver fanboy, but I always found Bergtatt a bit boring. I don't know why, it just never got to me. That might be the only Ulver album I'm not in love with.

That's my fav Ulver album :rofl:. I dunno, for me was one of the most groundbreaking albums ever released on the (black) metal scene . That acoustic guitars are too beautiful and mystic, that abrupt changes from acoustic to harsh (black) metal (I can hear Opeth? :rofl:D), that voices (I troldskog faren vild is unique)... The awesome intro for Soelen Gaaer Bag Aase Ned, the Sverd's insane piano interlude on capitel III and the grand finale, the acoustic Outro for Ind I Fjeldkamrene... damn...

I think there's no folk metal band who aren't inspired by that album. At least Empyrium was an Ulver worshipper and Vintersorg said Bergtatt was something too amazing (and inspiring listening their first 3 releases at least).

^What's Ulver's best stuff post-black metal? I like some songs from Blood Inside but the others just seem weird.

Depends what you like, really. None of it is metal, but there's an album for every single mood in their Discography. What do you like, apart from metal? I'll make a recommendation based on that.