UNIVERSAL review/s

I thought you were going to give it a lower score :p .

Me too! I'm telling you, headphones did the trick for me. I've listened to it twice more since posting it too and have even considered raising it and re-writing the last paragraph. Fucking deadlines. :p

Still, I stand by what I say about it feeling unfocused. But I also stand by what I say about there being excellent tracks on here. And despite what some might say to the contrary, I think Vintersorg is a perfect fit in the band.

For a band that has run over ten years, almost all reviewers claim they have sold out with the new one, or have neglected the roots that have brought them to the dance...

Not everyone is Iron Maiden, making the same album for thirty years. Or Rush (one of my favorite bands), who have stopped being eye openingly (yeah, its not a word) innovative.

I just re-read that, and it seems like I'm talking about just Borknagar. I'm talking about how reviewers treat all veteran bands in general. I however, have rarely ever shared this opinion.

Except Sonic Syndicate and they're not veteran. First album was awesome, the following ones were poppy garbage.

I just re-read that, and it seems like I'm talking about just Borknagar. I'm talking about how reviewers treat all veteran bands in general. I however, have rarely ever shared this opinion.

Except Sonic Syndicate and they're not veteran. First album was awesome, the following ones were poppy garbage.

Well, as a reviewer I would say when it comes to Borknagar that their earlier stuff is actually easier to "digest." As I said on another forum, I'd recommend the first four records to cursory fans of black metal, but I'd probably only really suggest their later records to fans of prog. I don't think that Borknagar has sold out—I'd say the opposite is true. They've got to a far more difficult place in the spectrum to navigate: the wonderful world of prog. Sure there's still black metal elements, but I'd say that they're more a prog band than anything else these days.

Well, as a reviewer I would say when it comes to Borknagar that their earlier stuff is actually easier to "digest." As I said on another forum, I'd recommend the first four records to cursory fans of black metal, but I'd probably only really suggest their later records to fans of prog. I don't think that Borknagar has sold out—I'd say the opposite is true. They've got to a far more difficult place in the spectrum to navigate: the wonderful world of prog. Sure there's still black metal elements, but I'd say that they're more a prog band than anything else these days.

Oh yeah, without question :p . Even more now, the new album is very prog.

One of Norway's largest papers reviewed Universal today.
http://www.dagbladet.no/2010/02/25/kultur/musikk/musikkanmeldelser/anmeldelser/borknagar/10586222/

Can't be bothered to translate all of it now, but it basically says that Borknagar is back after some years of being "sick", and now they are as good as they were in the TOD, TAC and Q years. They highlight Havoc, Abrasion Tide and My Domain as the best tracks on the album. They also say Vintersorg is better than in a long time.

One of Norway's largest papers reviewed Universal today.
http://www.dagbladet.no/2010/02/25/kultur/musikk/musikkanmeldelser/anmeldelser/borknagar/10586222/

Can't be bothered to translate all of it now, but it basically says that Borknagar is back after some years of being "sick", and now they are as good as they were in the TOD, TAC and Q years. They highlight Havoc, Abrasion Tide and My Domain as the best tracks on the album. They also say Vintersorg is better than in a long time.

Here's what Google Translate coughed up:

"Fresh Notified metal veterans

"Although Borknagar has never been away, can we allow ourselves to call this a good comeback."

ALBUM: It is not to sweep under the carpet that the latest records from Borknagar not hear with the band's most inspired works.
Now, however, it appears that it is time for a friskmelding.

After the "Universal" to judge heard it at least appears that the gang has taken back to some of the glow that made "The Archaic Course" and "Quintessence" to fine alternatives to the darker and more puristiske extreme.

Nature Photos
Opening track "Havoc" is undoubtedly the better creations Borknagar added in the table for a long time.
With its almost chasing melodies and intense drive, throw it out on a trip among steep cliffs and spectacular nature.

Temperature-wise it represents the energetic limit.

The bulk of the material orbiting the more Progg page to Borknagar, set in the system of the band's familiar chord signature.

It does not mean sextet are set in the doors, Vintersorg singing better and more determined than ever and the gang take care to supplement the most sweet melody lines with some pace-filled break here and there.

Powerful ending
"Abrasion Tide" is steady as a kind of concluding the center axis of the plate, while none other than former Borknagar vocalist and now ex-Dimmu Borgir bassist, ICS Vortex, borrows its vevre voice to the powerful closing track "My Domain".

Although they have never been away, can we allow ourselves to call this a good comeback."

Also, great photo in the article! :headbang: