UNIVERSAL review/s

Thank you very much Tyr.
Looks like the media are starting to really enjoy your album. Now you just need to know our opinion. We can't wait to have Universal on our hands, and I guess you can't wait too. The expectations are already sky-high, we just need to check if the album can handle that pressure.

And yes, the wait is killing me......... :bah:

"While most of it was stripped down and more or less acoustic on the previous full length, "Origin", Borknagar is back where they really belong. In other words: intricate and progressive Extreme Metal is on topic.
In my view this album represents the natural next step from what the band started with "Empiricism" and "Epic". Cleverly fusing Extreme Metal with complex progressive parts and elements from Folk Music. The album contains a fantastic atmosphere which varies from near silence in calm piano parts to a brutal inferno. All of this we get served through eight excellent songs, wrapped in an equally excellent production. With Vintersorgs charismatic voice on top of it all, this becomes an album completely to my taste, and I can't to the best of my abillities find anything negative to put my finger on. With "Universal", Borknagar have committed their best and most complete album to date. A must-buy. people!"

Thanks a lot Erik! :kickass:

February is going to be a great month :) .

Thanks a lot Erik! :kickass:

February is going to be a great month :) .

Oh hell yes. Borknagar AND Dark Tranquillity. Both bands that put out albums that you do not get bored of very quickly...or at all.

Origin and Fiction have been out for a long time and I still listen to them regularly.

Oh hell yes. Borknagar AND Dark Tranquillity. Both bands that put out albums that you do not get bored of very quickly...or at all.

Origin and Fiction have been out for a long time and I still listen to them regularly.

Yeah!!! Two great bands in one month! I listen to those two a lot, I love listening to Origin whilst being on the train. I did that when going to Bergen (or was it Oslo…?), with a disc-man of al things :p, and it was simply epic. Listening to that wonderful music, going up and up the mountains, nothing but snow and tress (and a resort every now and then). Simply wonderful, I'll do that again tomorrow when I go to Montréal by train. I love trains. I love Borknagar. Trains + Borknagar = Magnificence!

Yeah!!! Two great bands in one month! I listen to those two a lot, I love listening to Origin whilst being on the train. I did that when going to Bergen (or was it Oslo…?), with a disc-man of al things :p, and it was simply epic. Listening to that wonderful music, going up and up the mountains, nothing but snow and tress (and a resort every now and then). Simply wonderful, I'll do that again tomorrow when I go to Montréal by train. I love trains. I love Borknagar. Trains + Borknagar = Magnificence!

I can relate, only Wintersun and driving through the wintery landscape of Edmonton. Nothing but snow, mountains and oil rigs in the distance. Maybe a music video calling for "Time"?...which will never come out.:cry:

At first I thought I wouldn't like Dave's drumming either, but luckily I was proven wrong when I saw them last year. He's like a freaking machine, even better.

thnx for the translation Tyr!
gee, i'm starting to worry :rolleyes: all that praise, all that waiting, all those expectations... the pressure might just prove too high... i'm keeping my fingers crossed i won't be disappointed. Although "Extreme Metal with complex progressive parts and elements from Folk Music" almost can't go wrong at all! :D:headbang: (even if i hate this fancy term "extreme metal")

Alteredminddeath, it seems like your mind really is dead... Maybe you'd like to check out some of the videos, both LIVE and RECORDED of Dave playing the songs... might get you up to speed. :rolleyes:

looks like a fair review to me, thnx for sharing!

Vintersorg presents a new dimension to his voice on tracks such as ‘Reason.’ This voice brings to mind the jester character often assumed by ex-Borknagar vocalist Garm but without his skill.
that sounds quite alarming :rolleyes: hope it's not so bad...

While early Borknagar releases related a production akin to a rugged, snow-capped mountain peak, “Universal”—as well as all of the Vintersorg releases—conveys a clear, star-twinkling cosmos.
love this metaphor! :D

There should really be someone to review the reviewers, because a lot of the reviews (for any band) that I read are so subjective that they completely fail to cast any light on the quality of the object at hand.

Metal Invader said:
the band nowadays has completely changed more into Folk Metal than the first true Black Metal days
:zombie:

Reviewers these days should clean the crap out of their ears and get their facts straight before posting bullshit on the internet about great bands.

One thing I learned a long time ago is not to listen to reviewers. Not for movies, and especially not for music. Reviewers often have shit opinions that either deliberately fly in the face of what's good/popular to garner attention/make them feel unique or they are overly critical of what's good and praise crap such as Alestorm. Some of my favourite movies and albums have been slammed by reviewers. Best thing if you want to really trust this guy is to find his other reviewers on stuff you do have access to and see how different his point of view is from yours. Everyone has their own taste.

One thing I learned a long time ago is not to listen to reviewers. Not for movies, and especially not for music. Reviewers often have shit opinions that either deliberately fly in the face of what's good/popular to garner attention/make them feel unique or they are overly critical of what's good and praise crap such as Alestorm. Some of my favourite movies and albums have been slammed by reviewers. Best thing if you want to really trust this guy is to find his other reviewers on stuff you do have access to and see how different his point of view is from yours. Everyone has their own taste.

Exactly, this is one of the main reasons why I stopped writing reviews. I might think an album is total rubbish, and even if it really is, someone might still like it.

And I've noticed how most of the reviews posted here are of guys that adore old Bork, but can't stand the 'new' one. So why make a review of the new album in the first place? :rolleyes: