UNIVERSAL review/s

Jun 19, 2002
www.borknagar.com
http://azm-magazine.blogspot.com/

Borknagar- Universal-CD (The End Records/ Indie Recordings)

Oh wonderous sounds from the frozen north Borknagar are back and in a form I have not heard in a good long while. I clearly know that Simen is on longer the frontman and Vintersorg is the vocalist over last few release with Universal it feels like there is a rebirth with the band . Where Borknagar is back to the majestic sounds of Archaic Course or Quintessence again . Borknagar is mixing the Epic Prog Metal sounds with the viking and folk metal styles that so made the band who and what they are. The influences of band members from bands like Vintersorg and Solefald are now more then ever a major source of extra skills and talents. Vintersorg voice has never sounded more powerful with the clean sung bombastic nature or those grim and menacing growled/ Blackened vocal attacks. The organ once again plays a major role in Borknagar and I feel that is what always made them one of the more interesting out there. There is a sound that will always be Borknagar as well no matter who sings for this brilliant cosmic unit. I simply love the very prog passages that are right out of the best Nightingales, Yes and Ayreon albums made all there own by they way they are arranged so thought out on the guitar. Not sure what else can be said but there are just a handful of bands that have made such an impact on the Post Black Metal sound as much as Borknagar . When your in company with bands like Arcturus, Ulver, Satyricon, Mayhem, DHG and Code these are some great people to be surrounded by... Long Live Oystien and his mighty mighty Borknagar!!!! 2010 is going to be a very good year for music if it starts out with Universal!!!!

http://theendrecords.com/

Great review, I was already really excited to get this album so I don't like the read anything about it because it just reminds me of the wait :p but I also read on that site that it won't be released in NA until March 2nd. . . With only two months to go hopefully we will get a new track put on the myspace to hold us over the next 8 weeks :D that would be wonderful!

Great review, I was already really excited to get this album so I don't like the read anything about it because it just reminds me of the wait :p but I also read on that site that it won't be released in NA until March 2nd. . . With only two months to go hopefully we will get a new track put on the myspace to hold us over the next 8 weeks :D that would be wonderful!

*hint hint*

Yeah it's about time the band uploads a new song and the next video :) . Please? I wouldn't mind listening to the one that sounds at the beginning of the videos.

If I read it correctly: Natural progression started with Empiricism and Epic? I can imagine it. Both say that Vintersorg truly shines, I hope so.

Can we please get some sort of picture or description of what all the versions are for the release? I don't want to miss out.

Wow, I just realized I understand Norwegian :D

ahahaha
me too :oops: (not every single word but more or less 7 words out of 10)
but the review is quite simple, it uses common terms.

and the guy seemed to enjoy the album very much! :headbang:

Can we please get some sort of picture or description of what all the versions are for the release? I don't want to miss out.

borkjewel.jpg

borkdigi.jpg

borkcdbox.jpg

borklp.jpg

Mange takk! I wouldn't mind a translation, though :p . I can't wait, especially after reading 'best Bork album to the day!' :headbang: .

"While most of it was stripped down and more or less acoustic on the previous full length, "Origin", Borknagar is back where they really belong. In other words: intricate and progressive Extreme Metal is on topic.
In my view this album represents the natural next step from what the band started with "Empiricism" and "Epic". Cleverly fusing Extreme Metal with complex progressive parts and elements from Folk Music. The album contains a fantastic atmosphere which varies from near silence in calm piano parts to a brutal inferno. All of this we get served through eight excellent songs, wrapped in an equally excellent production. With Vintersorgs charismatic voice on top of it all, this becomes an album completely to my taste, and I can't to the best of my abillities find anything negative to put my finger on. With "Universal", Borknagar have committed their best and most complete album to date. A must-buy. people!"