What do you guys think about combining trance with metal?

SidMonitorLizard

New Metal Member
Jul 27, 2021
Pittsburgh
Trance is that melodic dance music you hear at raves.
This is actually related to a dream I had once before. I sometimes hear music in my dream and sometimes inspire new ideas for music. At first I thought it seemed weird, but then when I was listening to it in my dream the way it went was this:
You know how trance music has that distinct rolling bassline using like 16th notes? Well instead of the synth bass, use...obviously the regular bass, and using 16th notes on the bass and tremolo picking on the guitar. The melodic part will be like delayed arpeggios on the guitar. Its really something to experiment.

I wouldn't use extreme genres like thrash metal or death metal since trance is supposed to be mellow, but I guess I can see where it goes

Trancecore is a thing, which combines metalcore and trance music. And you have "Cyber Metal" like Sybreed. And you have the blend of Djent and Dubstep....

Waltari is an avant-garde alt metal band that has incorporated a lot of trance in their sound

And if you're into that sort of thing, Mors Pricipium Est blends trance stuff with In Flames type of melodeath.

When it comes to genre crossover I think it's important to recognize a difference between metal that "incorporates elements" of other genres and metal that seamlessly fuses with other genres. I personally haven't heard any true fusions of trance and metal (and I don't consider the above Waltari song a true fusion), but The Algorithm is a band I respect for achieving some kind of fusion within the broader genre of electronic dance music:

Reactions: Sophii
When it comes to genre crossover I think it's important to recognize a difference between metal that "incorporates elements" of other genres and metal that seamlessly fuses with other genres. I personally haven't heard any true fusions of trance and metal (and I don't consider the above Waltari song a true fusion), but The Algorithm is a band I respect for achieving some kind of fusion within the broader genre of electronic dance music:

Alright, I'll admit Waltari was a poor example and that The Algorithm was probably the BEST example, fuck. I forgot how amazing that guy was.

Reactions: zabu of nΩd
xQN3HLd.gif

Reactions: Sophii