TRrEiTxIxRiE DTrash

New Metal Member
Apr 14, 2001
I go:

1. Dio
2. Ozzy
3. Ozzy-era Sabbath
4. Dio-era Sabbath

3 and 4 are very close but Dio is easily my #1 choice and Ozzy my #2. I guess I prefer Dio's great songwriting and the flashy '80s sound of Ozzy's solo material over Sabbath's sound.

Well I prefer Dio's voice, but I was never happy with the way he tried to take over Black Sabbath and changed their lyrical viewpoint. The songs he did with them were great though! But I prefer Ozzy's stuff with Sabbath over his solo work.

For me it's:

Ozzy
Dio-era Sabbath
Dio
Ozzy-era Sabbath

Of the Sabbath that I've heard, Ozzy-era is easily my least favourite. I love Ozzy's solo stuff though, it's second to none!

In order of preference:

1. Ozzy era Sabbath (genre defining stuff here)
2. Dio era Sabbath (three words- Heaven and Hell)
3. Dio (only have a best-of compilation but I like it)
4. Ozzy (enjoy his solo stuff in small doses but wouldn't fall over myself to get every album)

For my money, the best Sabbath singer ever was Tony Martin. Why does he never get the respect he deserves?

W

What stuff has Tony Martin done apart from Sabbath? I've only heard him on "Tyr" and thought he was fantastic.

Tony Martin's quite a common name for famous people, actually:

Tony Martin - the singer (Sabbath)
Tony Martin - Late Show (D-Gen)
Tony Martin - the actor (Wildside, The Interview)
Tony Martin - the rugby league player (Melbourne Storm, London Broncos)

I'm pretty sure there's another one I'm forgetting too!

crap. This is hard.
I prefer Dio for sure, but I can't really decide between Dio with Sabbath or Dio solo.. :confused:

dio

ozzy is a fucked up sellout and zakk wylde is a fucking dickhead who is constantly named a "guitar god" when he couldnt play guitar to save his life......

Spiff, Tyr is one of my favourite Sabbath albums :headbang:
If you get the chance, have a listen to The Eternal Idol, Headless Cross and Cross Purposes. Mr. Martin is in fine form on all of them.
He also did a solo album in 92 (Back Where I Belong), and has made two records (one just recently) with a group called The Cage.

W

There's a live video with him on as well, isn't there? Pretty sure I saw one of those CD/video packages a couple of years back.

'Tis called Cross Purposes Live and was recorded on the tour to promote said album. Came out in early '95 I believe. Haven't heard or seen it though.

Not the best tour by all accounts. Tony Martin was ill for most of it, plus you had all the fun of Tony Iommi and Geezer being at each other's throats. Pity, because that lineup had potential in bucketloads. Bobby Rondinelli (from Rainbow and now Blue Oyster Cult) was on the drums.

W

Originally posted by Haupassia
zakk wylde is a fucking dickhead who is constantly named a "guitar god" when he couldnt play guitar to save his life......

Are you drunk Haupassia? :eek:

Jake E. Lee rules :headbang: Watched Ozzy - The Ultimate Ozzy video last nite and Jake is so underrated in my opinion.

I agree Tony Martin rules, but this was more a Dio vs Ozzy type poll with Sabbath involved hehe.