What do you think about Iconoclast?

Yea I am really glad to see they are having polls for the setlist... not just for Iconoclast but for EVERY album. That is a great sign. Now if they would only come to Japan. Hopefully this influences the set they use for the live DVD that they keep mentioning they want to make.

btw I voted for
Iconoclast
When All Is Lost
The Lords of Chaos
Reign in Madness

my easy top 4

I voted for End of Innocence, Heretic, Electric Messiah, and Reign in Madness for the poll thingy. I think Heretic would be cool live, and although a lot of people think Electric Messiah is filler, it's actually one of my favorites from the album. Hopefully we'll get to vote on stuff from every album, and they'll play some older stuff, because I don't want to hear a bunch of Iconoclast songs when I see them in Houston.

Jax seemed to imply that every album will be up on the poll, with one new one each day. However, the fact that the poll is going backwards also means that there will be a lot more votes for Iconoclast songs (and newer material in general) than there will be for early stuff (provided each album is added to the poll as opposed to us, say, only being able to vote for Paradise Lost songs on December 2nd). It also isn't made clear when the poll will end.

Still, I'm glad there's a poll at all. Although this next leg of the tour doesn't affect me at all (since they're coming nowhere near the third largest US city), I voted for Iconoclast, WAIL, Prometheus, and Reign. I really want to hear the last two played live, even if they're only on YouTube videos.

I've already made up my mind on the others...

PL: Babylon, Revelation, Seven (never played live), Sacrifice (never played live)
TO: Accolade II, Awakenings, King, Wicked
V: Fallen, Communion, Absence (never played live), Rediscovery (never played live)
TIO: Church, Looking Glass, Relic (never played live), Orion (never played live)
DWOT: Accolade, Divine Wings, Candlelight, Pharaoh (never played live)
DG: Edge, Dressed, Winter's Dream pt. 2, Whispers
SX: Absinthe, Lesson, Premonition, Shades of Fucking Gray

Still, I'm assuming that the poll will return the same boring results (Sea of Lies, Sins, Inferno, Smoke, etc.)

^For the most part, I agree with you on those tracks. I don't really care for Sacrifice, but everything else from that album seems overplayed, so idk what else there is to pick. Maybe Eve of Seduction. I would absolutely love to hear Awakenings live. It's such a great song. I'm surprised they've never done Rediscovery live, especially around the time V was released. The Relic is such a cool song, and it doesn't seem very popular. I also wouldn't mind hearing Masquerade.

I kind of don't want to hear The Odyssey live again. It was neat, but I'd rather hear Divine Wings. If they could do a special show where they had an orchestra and choir, I think The Odyssey would work really well. Then they could also do stuff from V. I know a lot of people here don't like Set the World on Fire, but I would imagine if they had an orchestra and choir, that actually playing Oculus and leading into that would be extremely cool.

And on a side note, I think that thing they did on the live album where they combined Candlelight Fantasia and Death of Balance was just weird.

Eh. The results will look just like the results from the Paradise Lost tour poll. And the setlist will look just like that setlist except Iconoclast songs will be in place of the PL songs and PL songs will be in place of stuff like King of Terrors or Evolution.

Was there a poll for the Paradise Lost Tour? And from what I've seen, there is no limit on how many times we can vote. So technically we could just ditch our lives and do nothing but vote when the polls for the earlier albums come out..... That'll show 'em!

^ Yeah, there was one. Check the first page of the news thread. And lol...if you feel inclined to do this, here's my list (songs in order of preference, btw):

IC: Reign, Messiah, Prometheus, Heretic
PL: Seven, Revelation, Eve, Babylon
TO: Accolade II, Awakenings, King, Wicked
V: Communion, Fool, Egypt, Rediscovery
TIO: Church, Lady, Orion, Glass
DWOT: Divine, Accolade, Medusa, Candlelight
DG: Edge, Haunting, Dressed, Secrets
SX: Rapture, Premonition, Thorns, Absinthe

Maybe Eve of Seduction.

It's a good song, but I don't feel it comes across as well live as it does on the album. They don't even sing the harmony in the chorus live, and to me that's like the coolest part of the song.

I would absolutely love to hear Awakenings live. It's such a great song.

I've heard them do it a few times in 2003-2004, but it doesn't translate well live. The song is so keyboard heavy, and there's only one Pinnella. When they did play it live, they cut the intro entirely and just started from the quiet verse.

I kind of don't want to hear The Odyssey live again. It was neat, but I'd rather hear Divine Wings. If they could do a special show where they had an orchestra and choir, I think The Odyssey would work really well. Then they could also do stuff from V.

Agreed on all counts. The Odyssey is a brilliant song, but live it suffers without an orchestra. Divine Wings isn't nearly as heavy on the orchestration, plus I feel that it's a bit more "metal" (which newer fans may embrace). A live choir to do the intro would be amazing, though.

I know a lot of people here don't like Set the World on Fire, but I would imagine if they had an orchestra and choir, that actually playing Oculus and leading into that would be extremely cool.

Agreed. Oculus is my favorite thing about that one-two punch; it's a perfect lead-in. I just wish that they'd extend the outro to STWOF live, since it's probably the grooviest part of the song.

I think that thing they did on the live album where they combined Candlelight Fantasia and Death of Balance was just weird.

I think it was lazy, for two reasons. One: they didn't want to learn the last three songs of the masterpiece album they had just released, or they thought that Absence and Fool's were more filler than Rediscovery was good (if that makes any sense). Two: they didn't want to play the verse parts in Candlelight where Romeo uses delay on his guitar, either because he didn't have the pedal or because he didn't want to mess around with it (it depends on the tempo of the song).

IC: Iconoclast, When All is Lost, Light Up the Night, Reign in Madness
PL: Walls of Babylon, Seven, Sacrifice, Revelation
TO: Wicked, Accolade II, King of Terrors, Awakenings
V: Fallen, Communion, Egypt, Rediscovery II
TIO: Church of the Machine, Dragon's Den, Orion, Lady of the Snow
DWOT: Accolade, Eyes of Medusa, DWOT, Candlelight Fantasia
DG: Damnation Game, Dressed to Kill, Savage Curtain, Whispers
SX:
Shades of Fucking Gray
played in loop mode.

I really hope that they have at least two different setlists with 2-3 unique older songs that are alternated from show to show on this tour. One song from each album probably isn't even a reasonable expectation during a single set.

I've heard them do it a few times in 2003-2004, but it doesn't translate well live. The song is so keyboard heavy, and there's only one Pinnella. When they did play it live, they cut the intro entirely and just started from the quiet verse.

How dare they cut out the intro! It's a shame that it doesn't sound that great live, because it's such a great song.:worship:

I think it was lazy, for two reasons. One: they didn't want to learn the last three songs of the masterpiece album they had just released, or they thought that Absence and Fool's were more filler than Rediscovery was good (if that makes any sense). Two: they didn't want to play the verse parts in Candlelight where Romeo uses delay on his guitar, either because he didn't have the pedal or because he didn't want to mess around with it (it depends on the tempo of the song).

I think I get what you're saying. Like it wouldn't make sense to play Rediscovery unless everything from V is played, but playing Absence and Fool's just wouldn't be worth it, or be good live? I think I just confused myself a bit.

I really hope that they have at least two different setlists with 2-3 unique older songs that are alternated from show to show on this tour. One song from each album probably isn't even a reasonable expectation during a single set.

That would be really cool, but it just doesn't seem like the band would want to take the time to do that. But then again, I wouldn't imagine that it'd take that much time because I'm assuming they know their own music... And it'd also be a nice change from hearing the same tracks from the older albums played at every show.

I think I get what you're saying. Like it wouldn't make sense to play Rediscovery unless everything from V is played, but playing Absence and Fool's just wouldn't be worth it, or be good live? I think I just confused myself a bit.

Lyricly maybe. But who cares. It wouldnt feel weird at all if they started with the riff at part 2, or maybe even the segue.

Lyricly maybe. But who cares. It wouldnt feel weird at all if they started with the riff at part 2, or maybe even the segue.

I was talking about the live album, where they played the first nine tracks from V. It would have been weird if they just skipped Absence and Fool's and went straight into Rediscovery. My guess is that they initially wanted to play Rediscovery for the album, but since they would have had to play those other two songs before it, it just wasn't worth it (in MJR's mind).

As a stand-alone song, I agree that Rediscovery would not at all be weird. And as it stands, Rediscovery is currently winning the set list poll for V.

Typical results for most of the others, though. Who wouldn't have predicted that Smoke, Church, and Looking Glass would be winning the Twilight poll?

I'm calling it: Sins, Sea, and DWOT will take the top 3 in the DWOT poll. As if any of us ever want to hear those first two songs live again...

I dont get why MJR would think AoL and AFP are among the lesser songs on V. Personally I think both of them are among the best, espessially AFP, and Rediscovery II is my fav SyX song period. I think they just didn't want to play the whole album so that there would be more room for stuff from other albums on the live album and they simply cut the last songs because of their position on the album. After that, once they stated touring for Odyssey, they just didnt play many V songs at all, and they simply stuck with the ones that they had already been practicing live.

Yeah, agreed with Elven. It also just seems to be the way they organize their tours in support of an album. Just like their recent setlist on this tour. They play about half of Iconoclast first and then go exclusively into older material for the rest of the show.

I don't get why people pick the same songs. Is it because of the newer fans? Or are people really just stupid?

EDIT: I mean, they aren't necessarily bad songs, it's just when they get overplayed, it takes away from the song. I remember the first time I heard Sea of Lies live. It was so cool! But then, you know...

I don't get why people pick the same songs. Is it because of the newer fans? Or are people really just stupid?

EDIT: I mean, they aren't necessarily bad songs, it's just when they get overplayed, it takes away from the song. I remember the first time I heard Sea of Lies live. It was so cool! But then, you know...

I would think that they are new fans, or fans who will soon be attending their first show. And I agree about the top choice songs; they're good songs, but far too overplayed.

I wish Symphony X would pull an Opeth and play one or two tunes from each album, or just randomly pull out semi-obscure songs to play. It's just more exciting that way. If the guys actually think they'd lose fans if they didn't play Sins or Inferno, they need to get their heads on straight. I wish they'd play more of what they want to play (which in MJR's case is the more proggy stuff).

SX on autopilot. Thoroughly disappointing.

I don't like the keyboard solos on Paradise Lost or Iconoclast nearly as much as the ones Pinella's done in the past. The solos sound a lot like Children of Bodom to me, which isn't bad, but it's just not the same as the godly solos of Church of the Machine, A Fool's Paradise, or The Turning. Symphony X is NEVER going to put out anything I don't like, but I think their best stuff is behind them.

I love symphony x to death but I didn't like this album

they tried to go too "metal" and lost alot of the creative genius of previous albums