Are you going the see Symphony X on the new tours? If so, where and when?

Symphony X are amazing live. Unfortunately, I can no longer justify paying to see them owing to the fact that they play the exact same songs at every show on every tour! Sure, they add in stuff from whatever the new album is, but please, it is time to retire Sea of Lies, Of Sins and Shadows, Smoke and Mirrors, Inferno, etc... YOU HAVE OTHER SONGS IN YOUR CATALOG!!!! I would be so bored with those tunes if I were those guys. They need to switch it up just for the sake of their sanity! I mean, seriously!

they are doing this again, total autopilot

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=16106

Luckily I saw them 6-7 times in between the releases of V and The Odyssey, but still...if Psychotic Waltz wasn't on this tour there is no way I would go.

The Nevermore setlist is incredibly lame as well.

Nothing earlier than Dead Heart material wise. Good thing I also saw them 5-6 times in between DNB and Dead Heart.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nevermore/2011/turbinenhalle-oberhausen-germany-43d2178b.html

Nevermore had the worst sound I have ever heard at a concert, hands down. It sounded like they were playing the exact same note for four minutes during each song, and afterwards, you could hear the droning up to at least two thirds of the way to the back of the venue. People actually laughed awkwardly because of this, it was ridiculous. I could never get into those guys anyway, but that made sure I won't try again.

Luckily, they played last so I didn't have to sit through an hour of this to keep my place in the crowd for SX. As for their setlist, I liked it, but it was my first time seeing them and I'm aware that this has been a longstanding discussion among fans. They only played two pre-Odyssey songs and four off of PL, which is fine with me. The title track isn't a bad substitute for TEOF or Accolade II, to be honest. I would have liked to hear one of their full-blown epics, but that wasn't possible due to the concept of the tour.

As for Psychotic Waltz, they were absolute magic. I was surprised at the fact that they played three songs off of their debut album. Highlights for me were "Morbid", "Haze One" and of course "Into The Everflow"... bands not named Psychotic Waltz shouldn't be allowed to play harmonized leads.

James MacDonough (ex-Megadeth, ex-Iced Earth) fills in for Jim Sheppard (bass) on this European tour.
A was standing a long way from the stage during their gig, but it looked more like a black-haired girl was playing the bass for them.

Finally I am going to witness the Godness of Symphony X on 26th March in Tunis and I am coming from Bangladesh..Finally my dream is going to come true :D

Nevermore had the worst sound I have ever heard at a concert, hands down. It sounded like they were playing the exact same note for four minutes during each song, and afterwards, you could hear the droning up to at least two thirds of the way to the back of the venue. People actually laughed awkwardly because of this, it was ridiculous. I could never get into those guys anyway, but that made sure I won't try again.

Luckily, they played last so I didn't have to sit through an hour of this to keep my place in the crowd for SX. As for their setlist, I liked it, but it was my first time seeing them and I'm aware that this has been a longstanding discussion among fans. They only played two pre-Odyssey songs and four off of PL, which is fine with me. The title track isn't a bad substitute for TEOF or Accolade II, to be honest. I would have liked to hear one of their full-blown epics, but that wasn't possible due to the concept of the tour.

As for Psychotic Waltz, they were absolute magic. I was surprised at the fact that they played three songs off of their debut album. Highlights for me were "Morbid", "Haze One" and of course "Into The Everflow"... bands not named Psychotic Waltz shouldn't be allowed to play harmonized leads.

A was standing a long way from the stage during their gig, but it looked more like a black-haired girl was playing the bass for them.

Then that's the girl that plays in Warrel's solo band. I think she's Jim's roadie or something so she knows all of the Nevermore and Sanctuary tracks.

Symphony X are amazing live. Unfortunately, I can no longer justify paying to see them owing to the fact that they play the exact same songs at every show on every tour! Sure, they add in stuff from whatever the new album is, but please, it is time to retire Sea of Lies, Of Sins and Shadows, Smoke and Mirrors, Inferno, etc... YOU HAVE OTHER SONGS IN YOUR CATALOG!!!! I would be so bored with those tunes if I were those guys. They need to switch it up just for the sake of their sanity! I mean, seriously!

I know, many of us have complained about this for years now. Seriously, where are Out of the Ashes, Church of the Machine, Fallen, Wicked, King of Terrors, etc?! All good tunes (arguably better than those listed above) that aren't overplayed. And now with Paradise Lost having been out for a while, expect tracks 2-5 from that album to become regular set staples, too. I think we might as well face the fact that the only melodic song we're going to get from them live (aside from possible new material) is Paradise Lost. Gone are the days of Accolade II, Awakenings, Egypt, Communion and the Oracle, Though the Looking Glass...

And they're not even playing the good stuff from Paradise Lost! Seriously guys, skip Set the World on Fire and Serpent's Kiss; play Walls of Babylon and Eve of Seduction instead! Set the World on Fire as a closer? Are you serious?! It's not that strong, guys...

I don't think I'm alone when I say that they should play at least one song per album (possibly barring the debut). I still don't get all the Paradise Lost material; don't most bands typically play less off of their 2nd-to-most-recent album, anyway? Play Domination and Babylon (also possibly Eve) and leave it at that. I'd rather hear Communion than the title track, anyway.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just so sick of the same damn songs on every tour!

James MacDonough (ex-Megadeth, ex-Iced Earth)

Haha, what metal musician isn't ex-Megadeth or ex-Iced Earth?!

I know, many of us have complained about this for years now. Seriously, where are Out of the Ashes, Church of the Machine, Fallen, Wicked, King of Terrors, etc?! All good tunes (arguably better than those listed above) that aren't overplayed. And now with Paradise Lost having been out for a while, expect tracks 2-5 from that album to become regular set staples, too. I think we might as well face the fact that the only melodic song we're going to get from them live (aside from possible new material) is Paradise Lost. Gone are the days of Accolade II, Awakenings, Egypt, Communion and the Oracle, Though the Looking Glass...

And they're not even playing the good stuff from Paradise Lost! Seriously guys, skip Set the World on Fire and Serpent's Kiss; play Walls of Babylon and Eve of Seduction instead! Set the World on Fire as a closer? Are you serious?! It's not that strong, guys...

I don't think I'm alone when I say that they should play at least one song per album (possibly barring the debut). I still don't get all the Paradise Lost material; don't most bands typically play less off of their 2nd-to-most-recent album, anyway? Play Domination and Babylon (also possibly Eve) and leave it at that. I'd rather hear Communion than the title track, anyway.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just so sick of the same damn songs on every tour!

Haha, what metal musician isn't ex-Megadeth or ex-Iced Earth?!

I'm sure every longtime Symphony X fan agrees with you, but it seems that they'd rather gun for more fans than please their old ones.

Nevermore is doing the same, they are totally ignoring everything pre-Dead Heart, which is by a very large margin their most creative and innovative material imo.

Both bands are looking towards a more youthful crowd that likes fast, heavy, catchy songs that are to the point and straightforward, which most of us old fans don't want to here.

Like I said before, I'm going to this show to see Psychotic Waltz and I'm just happy I'm old enough to have seen SX and Nevermore multiple times in their prime (1999-2002).

Both bands are looking towards a more youthful crowd that likes fast, heavy, catchy songs that are to the point and straightforward, which most of us old fans don't want to here.

While I agree, in one of Russell Allen's recent interviews, he mentions that they will not keep going down the same road. And apparently, they've already talked/discussed doing another 20 minute long song. And apparently have idea/some music in the works.

Symphony X was never labeled Progressive Metal, and nore did they go by that. They said in many interviews over the past decade "People call us progressive metal, we just prefer metal..." 'Paradise Lost' was a little more on the less dynamic/power metal side. But based on the new song 'End of Innocence'. I believe they've stepped back a little bit into 'The Odyssey' territory. Heavy prog parts, heavy metal parts. Its show casing everything new, and everything old about symphony x, in a modern, and interesting to listen to way.

I guess we will see when the album comes out. But from what I've heard Iconoclast will be taken what was great about 'Paradise Lost' and removing what wasn't so great. This new song, IMO is already stronger than 75% of the Paradise Lost material.

I don't know if they're going to change the set for european tour,if it reamins
so I'm not happy at all in listening only songs of the last 2 records.

And i quote: " And now for something completely different! "

I'm happy with the show last night and also with the setlist and i don't give a rat's ass if they will play it this whole tour. I must admit, Symphony X would not get away with it, if they would not play Sea of Lies. I love that song and for me it's their 'Angel of Death', i would miss it if it would not be on the setlist. Thát's when i'd start complaining. I understand the remarks about their aiming for new fans rather than pleasing the old ones but it's the best thing to do for a band, when joining a package like this. Rather let them win new and young fans, who are still capable of attending shows and buy their records and merchandise without dealing with too many issues and responsibilities. The old ones (ok, i don't find myself old but i'm also old enough to have seen Nevermore and Symphony X a couple of more times) are having a life along the way (kids, work, house,payments, etc.etc.) and if bands would not aim for new fans, they'd all be baking hamburgers in their spare time, instead of jamming and making great riffs for a new album because looking at myself, i sure am not capable of supporting a band like i did 15 years ago. Call me a whiner if you want to, but i think bands don't have another choice because nowadays, nobody does anything for free anymore and a tour does not run on volunteers. They appreciate the fans of the old days pretty much because they interact with the ones who sing along with all the songs and it's nice to receive that from a band.
Nevermore does that too. Always.

Back on topic: i think they put up a great show. Sound was not so great, imo. We did hear a lot of guitar but that came more from the stage than through the speakers and for me, the drums and bass sounded 'wooly'. I rather hear more definition but nevertheless, their energy and show made up for that. Russel Allen's voice was in great shape and after all this time, i still <3 Rullo! :oops: How i love to watch the working man do his tricks and play his magic on the measures but please, take away that bell in front of his face or give the guy a cushion and blocks underneath his feet...
I CAN'T SEE HIM!!! Anyway, i had a great night and it was great to see Symphony X perform again. Last time i saw them was 7 years ago.