What do you think about Iconoclast?

Man, the verse sections in "Reign in Madness" are awesome. That's gotta be my favorite thing from this album.

I like them a lot, too. The keyboard in particular stands out, since you don't generally hear Pinnella using a synthesizer tonality outside of solos. Also, the polyrhythmic feel of the guitar/bass riff drives the song forward. To top it off, Russell's vocal melodies are some of the coolest on the album. The lyrics are typical metal cheese, but it's not like this band has ever been known for their lyrical quality.

I love the whole futuristic feel of the whole section. It's very different for them.

I had almost forgotten how great the earlier albums are compared to the new ones... I've tried to listen IC and PL a bit more lately, but can't seem to get "into" them... I just listened my Odyssey cd after a while, and WOW it sure is better than IC and PL combined... btw the part in Wicked, after the guitar and keyboard solo... It has been in my head ALL day.... :Spin:

Wicked is SUCH a great tune. I would kill for another one with as sick a groove as that. And nobody say "Serpent's Kiss", "Dehumanized", or "Heretic". :yuk:

"Reign In Madness" is definitely one of the only few halfway decent songs on IC. I like the Romeo homage to Randy Rhoads interlude toward the end with Russell SINGING, wow.

So I've been listening to Iconoclast a lot this week. I hadn't really touched it since the month it came out. The album certainly still doesn't hold a candle to works from the Damnation Game-Odyssey period, but it sounds a lot better than it used to. I guess the months of thinking it was trash has changed my perspective and allowed to me to enjoy it for what it is. This is a list of what I enjoy from each song:

Iconoclast: Very good song all around. One of the album's highlights.

The End of Innocence: Decent song. Nothing really stands out as spectacular though.

Dehumanized: I love the pre-chorus. The chorus riff is pretty cool too. The guitar solo is fantastic. I think it's the best on this album and it's right up there with the older material.

Bastards: Uh. The best section is from the keyboard/guitar harmonized part until the little bass solo leads back into the chorus.

Heretic: I love the throwbacks to Church of the Machine here. There's the intro/pre-verse riffs being very similar. The lyrics in the pre-choruses ending with "On your knees!" and "faceless masses falling to their knees." And then there's "counterfeit's the kingdom you devise" sort of paralleling the "my empires rise / artificially devised" part. Overall, the riffs are just pretty sick. Russell's vocals definitely work with this style.

Children: "All I aaaaam / I give to YOU" sounds kinda cool.

When All Is Lost: Great melodies, etc. If nothing else, almost everyone tends to enjoy this song.

Electric Messiah: Another highlight. This one has some of the best vocal/instrumental sections. What I mean by that is there are actually decent melodies on top of the cool riffs in the verse and chorus.

Prometheus: The intro is nice. Very unique sounding. So is the pre-chorus. Also, the chorus is has a nice feel. I especially like the ending - the "within you I..." bit.

Light Up the Night: The guitar solo is good.

The Lords of Chaos: I like that the intro guitar sort of has a different tone from everything else on the album. The riffs are alright too.

Reign in Madness: Best song. This is probably the only thing that hasn't changed since my first listen. It's only marred slightly by the "from shore to shore" bit.

Wait a second: You're that guy who has been trolling people on sputnikmusic by pretending that Lulu is a good album. Nice one.
Hahaha, man. Didn't know you guys were on there. Yeah, sputnikmusic is not a serious site at all to me even though my ratings/comments up until now have been real.

But look, I honestly don't think Lulu is a 1/5 album/worst thing ever etc. So many users there are just blindly hating on it so I've just been representing the other extreme.

to me Iconoclast is by miles their best work.

Im usually pretty easy going when i hear people who enjoy the new SymX more but...no, you're wrong and im sure someone smarter than me can show a math equation showing how TIO is better in every way.