What do you think about Iconoclast?

It's like I'm in third grade again. Seriously, what would possess Russell to think that these are in any way good lyrics?!

No kidding. "lyrics before music" my ass. I bet was playing video games all day and procrastinating until it was vocal tracking day and he had to come up with all those lyrics on the way to the studio or else romeo would kill him.

Either that or he just sucks now. Let's all listen to the Accolade and pretend that's not the case. :(

And now this plays in my head... "The sword he once held tight, falls forever from his haaaaands!!" It's a shame I can't listen music while im working :yell:

Haha. Really, I think they just need some new subject matter. How many times can you write about imaginary gods of (insert word), skies of fire and unleashing hell? I'd be running out of ways by now too. Way too much of this album was lines from Paradise Lost with upgraded technology thrown in. And Paradise Lost was just an extended version of something they'd already done (better).

Seriously though. Symphony X needs to be banned from using the word "fire" on the next album. And "shore" too. Ugh.

Haha. Really, I think they just need some new subject matter. How many times can you write about imaginary gods of (insert word), skies of fire and unleashing hell? I'd be running out of ways by now too. Way too much of this album was lines from Paradise Lost with upgraded technology thrown in. And Paradise Lost was just an extended version of something they'd already done (better).

Seriously though. Symphony X needs to be banned from using the word "fire" on the next album. And "shore" too. Ugh.

YES. We can add a few other words too, like "reality" and "darknesss" and "forever". Challenge a metal band to write an album omitting them, and it'll probably turn out interesting. Far too overused in the genre.

How many songs on Iconoclast did they use the phrase "I'm dead inside?"

Seriously, they need to let P, Lepond, and Rullo back in on the lyric (and music) writing process.

I wonder what Pinella thinks about the lyrics...he's always the quiet one. All the other members of the band seem to like the album a lot though. I think I saw two interviews where Lepond and Rullo said they were proud of Iconoclast.

I'd be curious as to what Pinnella thinks of the album in general. Yeah, his keyboard parts are a bit more frequent and have been turned up a bit in the mix when compared to the previous album, but the overall sound in general strayed away from organic patches like pianos and strings and more into the realm of cybernetic sounds. I'd love to know how he feels about that.

I'm sure Lepond and Rullo are proud of Iconoclast, but I remember a recent interview where they said their favorite albums were V and The Odyssey, respectively. Good for them!

Seriously, they need to let P, Lepond, and Rullo back in on the lyric (and music) writing process.
Has Lepond ever written any lyrics? I know Rullo and Pinnella got partial writing credit on some of the V stuff, but even that probably only happened because they scrambling to fill the void left by Miller.

I haven't listened to Iconoclast in a while but I do think it's a good album. It lacks variety, but most of the songs are still awesome. I do miss the old days though. I'd like more songs like When All Is Lost.

Has Lepond ever written any lyrics? I know Rullo and Pinnella got partial writing credit on some of the V stuff, but even that probably only happened because they scrambling to fill the void left by Miller.

Lepond had a hand in writing the lyrics to Part VII of The Odyssey (Champion of Ithaca), but that's pretty much it.

A bit off-topic, but does anyone know had writing credits for the music and lyrics of Frontiers? I can't seem to find that info anywhere...

Lepond had a hand in writing the lyrics to Part VII of The Odyssey (Champion of Ithaca), but that's pretty much it.

A bit off-topic, but does anyone know had writing credits for the music and lyrics of Frontiers? I can't seem to find that info anywhere...

Oh man, I used to have the Japanese lyrics sheet. From what I remember; and I do remember for sure that it was written by at least 4 of the guys; lyrics was, I think at least 2 of the guys.

Sorry, I can't say who for sure. But it definitely wasn't limited to a Romeo/Allen production.

LLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!!!

Holy Shit...its true. :yell:

Also, if they use a warhammer line again, I'll kill myself.

A HA!!!!!!!!!!!!

I posted it before(to you as well). Bow down to the thorough Prismatic machine!!! :worship:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/8001521-post16.html

From the Japanese booklet that came with the import Odyssey:

Frontiers
Music by Michael Romeo, Michael Pinnella, Michael Lepond, Jason Rullo
Lyrics by Russell Allen

Another reason why I LOVE "Pharaoh". For the writing credits, it simply says SYMPHONY X. :heh:

^Cool to see that everybody contributed to Frontiers. I wonder what it'd be like if all the members had write 2 songs each for an album.

YES. We can add a few other words too, like "reality" and "darknesss" and "forever". Challenge a metal band to write an album omitting them, and it'll probably turn out interesting. Far too overused in the genre.

Last edited by a moderator:
We rule, we fly
Above the lights of the neon sky
We fight, we cry
The lords of chaos will never die

:lol:

It's like I'm in third grade again. Seriously, what would possess Russell to think that these are in any way good lyrics?! It's MJR's fault, too, for allowing this stuff (including the "sunnavabitch" line in Dehumanized) to actually be used on the album. Did it come down to crunch time and they just went "fuck it?"
Also, does anyone else think it's a coincidence that Russ ended up writing the lyrics to (in my opinion) the three weakest tracks on the album?

The problem is that the lyrics don't go anywhere, don't describe or evoke coherent imagery. The words were thrown in just to make rhymes in a disconnected way.
Next time they should get inspiration from something like this:

INVICTUS

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley​

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that the lyrics don't go anywhere, don't describe or evoke coherent imagery. The words were thrown in just to make rhymes in a disconnected way.

This is exactly the problem a lot of power metal bands have lyrically, but I don't think it quite describes any song on Iconoclast. Iconoclast's lyrics are coherent. I do agree, though, that some bits could have more depth instead of just being the typical crush! kill! destroy!-stuff you see all the time in metal.

That being said, Iconoclast is badass and my favourite Symphony X album alongside Paradise Lost.

@PurpleDink:

I loathe you for connecting Meshuggah to a comment about uninteresting or otherwise bad lyrics. The stuff they write is mind-blowing.