What do you think Katatonia will do with their next album?

Katatonia have never been about standing in one place and certainly not about moving in reverse. Once you start doing that your career has pretty much run it's course. Besides, how can you expect them to get in the mindset they had as teenagers and furthermore revert back to the completely amateur songwriters who wrote DoDS? If you want to hear something that's been done before than simply throw on the old records.

Nonsense. Amorphis released Eclipse and started to incorporate all of their past influences into their sound, as well as their more recent soundscapes, and they became a much better band. Many of my friends who did not even like Amorphis before have loved the last 3 albums and are big fans now. Perhaps I should not have said Dance Of December Souls and mentioned Brave Murder Day instead, as the band have shown on songs like Increase, Inside the City Of Glass, and Nephilim that they clearly are still masters of doom when they decide to incorporate it into their music. You could have said Katatonia were immature when they wrote Dance Of December Souls or Brave Murder Day (as you could say about other masterpieces that bands released as their 2nd LP: Turn Loose The Swans/My Dying Bride, Tales From The Thousand Lakes/Amorphis, and Unorthodox/Edge Of Sanity come to mind), but so what? All these bands were very young, barely in their twenties (or under in some cases) and produced what are widely regarded as metal classics! I could care less of the age of the band, I am only concerned with the quality of the music and if it resonates with you personally and moves you. Besides, exactly when have Katatonia done this before: release a song with influences from BMD, DO, LFDGD, and NITND? That is why I want to hear it all in one song, because in fact they have NOT done it!

17%20Attempting-To-Give-A-Damn%20Large%20-%20353x132.gif

Only flaw is your logic or lack thereof, but it's no biggy cuz Katatonia have never been about regurgitation. Furthermore, let me make an analogy for you: just because you puke up everything you ate during the day and make stew out of it doesn't make it fresh, nor would it likely taste very good.

Only flaw is your logic or lack thereof, but it's no biggy cuz Katatonia have never been about regurgitation. Furthermore let me make an analogy for you: just because you puke up everything you at during the day and make stew out of it doesn't make it fresh, nor would it likely taste very good.

Logic does not apply here, and never will when it comes to an individual's personal taste. No such thing as right or wrong there. 'Katatonia have never been about regurgitation' is also subjective. One could easily argue that Viva Emptiness and TCGD are extremely similar records, but who cares if both records were excellent? Musical quality trumps progressing sometimes. Check the quote that Klosure posted in this thread below:

I personally think that the last 3 albums have been more samey its just the arrangements that separate them. But they are all very chuggy chuggy.

I never had a problem with any of the work they did. But I always feel that the diversity through the songs would be better, as in dark and then something to break it up in the middle.

But ultimatly its the lead lines that are asked for again and again. Theres loads of chuggy chuggy stuff ever since Viva so I feel that too much more of that will start to feel the same.

You claim there's no logic, yet you also claim there's flaws in my prior statement. Quite the contradiction. Also I'd love to hear you argue how Viva and TGCD are extremely similar. While you're at it explain how Increase has anything to do with doom. I'm all ears.

Edit: Please explain besides the whole riff based and lack of melody. There's more to the music than that. Now you're claiming the past three are samey? NitND added a bunch of brand new elements.

jonas did say in an interview that nephilim was sort of written as a tribute to their doom roots.

I remember Jonas saying there was a doomish track and also that it was sort of an ode to "Fields of Nephilim." Really it sounds nothing like FoN or Katatonia from days of yore. It's just a slow grinding track.

I just hope that the vocals stay relatively similar to how they are on TGCD and NITND. They are what made all the difference for me and finally won me over to Katatonia. However, I would not mind a slightly more prominent guitar sound with nice leads in there. Violins and piano are also great for more solemn tracks. I would not want a full album of "Unfurl's" though like someone else suggested. I think a full album of songs like "Unfurl" or "Sold Heart" would be extremely boring. Those songs work great as "breakers" for the rest of the heavier material on the albums, but as a full album of them, it'd get dull very quick.

You claim there's no logic, yet you also claim there's flaws in my prior statement. Quite the contradiction. Also I'd love to hear you argue how Viva and TGCD are extremely similar. While you're at it explain how Increase has anything to do with doom. I'm all ears.

Edit: Please explain besides the whole riff based and lack of melody. There's more to the music than that. Now you're claiming the past three are samey? NitND added a bunch of brand new elements.

A flaw us an imperfection by definition. You stated that when a band regresses, their career is over. I responded and stated that Amorphis have done exactly what I would like Katatonia to do, and since they have done so they have been resurgent and as popular as ever (no career over there, period). I also said that Katatonia could continue to progress, perhaps with more of the mellow/electronic moments on NITND while also incorporating more of the style from BMD and LFDGD. That is entirely possible! There are flaw's in any person's opinion, including my own, how can an opinion be perfect? What you would like a band to do is not logical, it is based on what moves you, what really hits you emotionally (at least for me).

I feel Increase has several sections very reminiscent of leads/riffs off of BMD. If you disagree, fine. You say NITND added a bunch of new elements with NO detail, no explanation, and want me to explain how TCGD and Viva are similar? Hilarious! Besides, if you had not been the ONLY person in this entire thread to respond to another user's opinion in a condescending manner, belittling another person's opinion for no good reason, I would never have responded to your post.

My post was a general statement not aimed specifically at anyone so it could hardly be considered condescending. If anything it was in response to Daimonion's post right above it. You stated your opinion and I stated mine. Then you claimed my opinion was nonsense. Obviously you're upset, but at the same time you haven't exactly been gentlemanly yourself. I still think this is a rather silly argument because Katatonia is going to do what they do regardless of what we have to say here. Truthfully I don't even care that much for the last two records, but I still respect that they've always strived to evolve. I'm not the kind of fan who thinks my opinion matters more than the band doing what they feel is right.

If there is no logic then how can there be any flaws? That's a rhetorical question btw.

I know you're not a regular contributor to this forum; however, I've stated plenty of times all the elements that comprise NitND:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/katatonia/635261-nitnd-vs-tgcd-round-1-a-2.html
There's no tracks on any of their records that are quite like Idle Blood, Inheritance, Day & Then, Debarter, or even Nephilim. I shouldn't even have to explain this.

My post was a general statement not aimed specifically at anyone so it could hardly be considered condescending. If anything it was in response to Daimonion's post right above it. You stated your opinion and I stated mine. Then you claimed my opinion was nonsense. Obviously you're upset, but at the same time you haven't exactly been gentlemanly yourself. I still think this is a rather silly argument because Katatonia is going to do what they do regardless of what we have to say here. Truthfully I don't even care that much for the last two records, but I still respect that they've always strived to evolve. I'm not the kind of fan who thinks my opinion matters more than the band doing what they feel is right.

If there is no logic then how can there be any flaws? That's a rhetorical question btw.

I know you're not a regular contributor to this forum; however, I've stated plenty of times all the elements that comprise NitND:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/katatonia/635261-nitnd-vs-tgcd-round-1-a-2.html
There's no tracks on any of their records that are quite like Idle Blood, Inheritance, Day & Then, Debarter, or even Nephilim. I shouldn't even have to explain this.

Yes, perhaps I reacted too strongly, I am just as flawed a person as anyone! I apologize. Guess since I like DODS and don't consider it amateurish (just different) and feel that a band can certainly regress a bit to the old stuff that worked well and progress all at once, I behaved as a bit of an ass.