What happened to the Rock Star Image in Metal?

Anyone who plays music in order to become a star has no business in not only metal but music in general. The whole rockstar bullshit is what ruins music. Someone who wants to be a rockstar will only play to the lowest common denominator in order to gain as much popularity as possible. As a result, the music suffers. I don't want or need to hear about how many drugs a band abuses or how many groupies they fuck. It's entirely irrelevant to whether the band in question is good or not. And about the stage presence thing, I don't need a band to dress up in stupid costumes or have excessive amounts of pyrotechnics for me to appreciate them. If you can't dissasociate these stupid visual and entertainment aspects from the actual music then you obviously are not fully appreciating or understanding the music.

Well think about this...Why does it seem that metal bands dont have fun? There is to much seriousness in metal.

Everyone is gonna hate me for saying this but Children of Bodom seem to have fun when they play live and from what I'v read in interviews. Metalheads seem to think they need to have a tough im gonna kill you attitude. ................................you may flame me.........................................NOW! GO!

You guys are all lying, are you all saying that never once in your life- not even when you were like a horny 14 year old- you didnt want to become a rock star? Bullshit. No one thinks about the shallow image etc, and what the hell who wouldnt want to be in Led Zeppelin? Christ we have a bunch of overly serious moralists here.

And why do we feel the need to stay a closed society of overly serious people only concerned about musicianship? Im sure bands would like to see more than 50 people at their concerts, and hell everyone would like to make a decent living doing what they love.

Thank you kriggoloch- someone is getting my point, which isnt a big deal or anything, it just seems metal guys are becoming fine upstandign citizens these days.

You are so on the pop side of things I don't know where to begin. Newsflash: Not everyone would like to become a rock star. In fact, I feel it would be outright horrible. Also, not everyone would like to make money off their music; I actively avoid it. Welcome to extreme metal, please leave your mainstream values at the door.

Playing to 50 people who appreciate the talent, emotion and honesty that goes into your music is infinitely preferable to playing to an enormo-dome full of vapid, trend-whoring hipsters who've come along to the show to compare hairstyles and to be seen to be into the next big thing.

speed said:
You guys are all lying, are you all saying that never once in your life- not even when you were like a horny 14 year old- you didnt want to become a rock star? Bullshit. No one thinks about the shallow image etc, and what the hell who wouldnt want to be in Led Zeppelin? Christ we have a bunch of overly serious moralists here.
Never. I'm 15, so I can remember clearly, and I have never wished to be a rock star, or even famous.

I'd like to make a living out of music (which is unlikely right now because I suck at guitar at the moment), but that's about it - fuck that rock star bollocks, as long as I could keep my rent paid and my fridge stocked by playing music, I'd be happy. That's not a lack of ambition, it's just that I set more store by the quality of the music and being true to myself than by how many teenagers the record label can help me hypnotise into handing over their greenbacks by the truckload...

Ive never wanted to be a rock star but i have wanted to play shows in front of fans.

I doubt many people do not want to make money from their music. why make cds if they dont want to make music? just stick to playing free live shows and making super low budget tapes to pass out.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Nothing interesting happens in metal?

Do the words "Mother, I Will Flee" mean anything to you?
haha varg is everyones bitch now

speed said:
the point is that we're not 14 year olds... we don't hold onto unattainable goals and none of us care about being a huge rock star.

Krigloch the Furious said:
Well think about this...Why does it seem that metal bands dont have fun? There is to much seriousness in metal.

Everyone is gonna hate me for saying this but Children of Bodom seem to have fun when they play live and from what I'v read in interviews. Metalheads seem to think they need to have a tough im gonna kill you attitude. ................................you may flame me.........................................NOW! GO!
What makes you think other metal bands aren't having fun with what they do? Just because they don't smile, or jump around on stage or make stupid faces while they're playing? How can a band such as Nile, for instance, possibly try to appear all happy-go-lucky on stage when they're playing friggin' death metal. It would negate the feeling of the music. And of course COB looks like they're having fun. They play happy, ear candy music.

When did being a rock star mean you have to play shitty music? Look at Black Sabbath, Zeppelin, Morrison, Hendrix, Ac Dc, The Beatles, the stones etc. All damn good bands that happened to become rock stars, and have mass appeal.

Now of course there are few rock stars and the ones that are stars have little talent. But hey, The Darkness seems to be changing this trend. Im not saying they are the best or anything, but at least they understand people want to have fun, the masses care about image, and whats so wrong with that- if one has to sell out a little bit to bring ones music to the masses, who cares in the end?

Fuck you guys are really trying to defend this obscure brand of music, I mean I think we all like sme of the aspects of the underground etc, but jesus, one doesnt have to be an elitist all the time. Fuck it is nice to talk music or go see shows with other people that might not be into this metal scene. And it is always nice seeing the opposite sex at shows( rock stars like metallica, Ozzy etc attract some women).

I just dont understand why there is such hatred of any metal band making it big or having fun, or trying to make money. Lighten up people my god.

But bands who lower the quality of their music, just to appeal to the masses, certainly aren't deserving of praise. This is usually the case. As far as I'm concerned, bands who play because they want to express their emotions and ideas creatively, rather than just to make money, tend to be the ones who play the most interesting music.

welkin97 said:
What makes you think other metal bands aren't having fun with what they do? Just because they don't smile, or jump around on stage or make stupid faces while they're playing? How can a band such as Nile, for instance, possibly try to appear all happy-go-lucky on stage when they're playing friggin' death metal. It would negate the feeling of the music. And of course COB looks like they're having fun. They play happy, ear candy music.

my mistake.

the thing is you need a balance between being a rock star and being a musician. you dont go to a concert just to hear music. if you just want to hear music you can buy a cd and it will be cheaper that way. it seems like a lot of modern metal acts these days just arent too entertaining to see anymore and that is a problem. the point being you dont have to play pop music to be a rock star; for a show to be worth seeing rock starishness is somewhat required. besides if i had a band i wouldnt mind a few women being in the audience that arent fat smelly mexicans. thats what metal is missing, eye candy.