What hot cheese?

Lisra

starlight spectre
Sep 27, 2007
Nijmegen, Netherlands
So I was reading the Bravy Murder Day reissue booklet today again and I kept thinking about one thing.

We all know Dan stepped down from producing the record because he had another vision than the lads, and good thing too because we all love BMD. What band, however, did he mention as a guide for their sound previously? Anders didn't name it, because "the hot cheese would melt the booklet in your very hands".

So please, baseless speculations about what band Dan could have meant. :D

It was German, presumably dommy/gothicky and very cheesy.

My suggestion would be "Samsa's Traum" but they haven't been around before 1996, so... but they'd certainly fit the bill. Insanely cheesy, rather darkish.

Any silly ideas to ease the waiting for the new record? :D

Bravy Murder Day? :3

Funny... just a couple of days ago I stumbled upon some old Samsas Traum songs I hadn't heard in about 6 years and was awkwardly happy about it. However, cannot agree on Samsas Traum at all... apart from that project not even having been around at that time. Cheesy? Yes! Some releases could certainly be considered as Gothic Schlager :loco: but soundwise I think it's a different approach. For some reason I have this thing stuck in my head that Mr. Kaschte was actually appreciating (older?) Katatonia and got inspired by them and/or related bands. Haven't I even seen him wearing some suspicious band shirt some time, too...? Hmmm... too long ago to remember properly but back in school I used to hang out with some folks who were really into Samsas Traum and similar/related projects.
So if there would be any relation between THESE two bands... I'm 100% positive the sound guiding went the other way around!

German, probably cheesy, darkish band from around BMD time... hummm... looks like a fun challenge to find out, somehow! XD

yeah, don’t agree about samsas (not samsa’s :D) traum either, the very first albums are (were?) quite good, especially ‘oh luna mein’. now that i think of it, i haven’t listened to any songs of his since.. uhm… 2002 or so, but i really, really loved it back in time (not only for musical reasons, errr).
the artwork of that album is also splendid.
i'm also pretty certain i had read in some magazine back then that kaschte was indeed somehow inspired by (early) katatonia.

have no clue about the rest :eek:

Brave Murder Day, of course. What was I typing.

You two make good points..

Where to look then? Germany has been full of gothic bands for a while, but they mostly sit around in the darkwave/electronic type scene like Umbra&Imago and whathaveyou. Probably not what was meant. More towards metal then..

I also wondered about this when I read the booklet. My initial thought was Crematory, but I am sure there are countless German bands that fit this description, even though most of them probably did not emerge until around the turn of the millennium.

Bethlehem used to be an incredible band. Suizid, Dictius & Dark Metal are ridiculously great albums. Don't care for what they've produced recently.
Likewise, SUIZID especially is one of the best dark albums ever. everything after Profane.... is largely forgettable from what I've heard, especially the frankly crinegworthy decision to include that twat from Shining on vocals and completely butcher SUIZID with a terrible remake.