What I hate today

sigil23

Aug 19, 2002
California
gnosis2000.net
I absolutely hate those damn stickers that labels like Century Media and Southern Lord put on the jewel boxes of their CDs. Particularly because there ARE stickers that you can put on that come off easily and don't leave residue that takes ages to get off.

Been trying to get this sticker off the Khanate all morning. Undoubtedly there is some chemical that would have made my life easier, but it ain't here. This sticker also got tangled up with the thing they seal the CD with (the bar code strip you find on most mainstream labels).

m

Southern Lord's one of my favorite labels, cuz i like the classic doomy stuff they put out like Goatsnake, The Obsessed, Place of Skulls, & the Want (Greatest Hits Vol 5!!) as well as the more experimental stuff like the sunnO))) & Boris. Those limited 7"s they do are really cool. I never was a big fan of Warhorse; saw them live and wasn't too impressed. But it seems to be just me.

I have yet to get the Khanate, but me and some friends are looking at apartments in the city tonight, so I think I'll drop by good ol' Metal Haven and pick it up. If Mark doesn't have it there, I'll put him in a Stranglehold NUGE STYLE!!

http://www.southernlord.com/

I'd been told that Warhorse was really excellent, but when I saw them live they were very stoner-doomy and, while good, didn't interest me much. They might be one of those bands that's only awesome on disc, though--nothing wrong with that, and even more of a reason for you to buy the disc.

I hate construction workers.... Not only have they built this hell like building that i work in, called brown college. They never fail to place cat calls as i try to mind my own business outside on a break, enjoying a nice marlboro. How insulting and annoying.

I also hate how i cant identify this bottled cream substance at east side pockets, and im too afraid of the man that works there to ask.

Originally posted by chupe666
Southern Lord's one of my favorite labels, cuz i like the classic doomy stuff they put out like Goatsnake, The Obsessed, Place of Skulls, & the Want (Greatest Hits Vol 5!!) as well as the more experimental stuff like the sunnO))) & Boris. Those limited 7"s they do are really cool. I never was a big fan of Warhorse; saw them live and wasn't too impressed. But it seems to be just me.

Would you mind giving me 4-5 titles you recommend that I could check out? 'ppreciate the info...

m

You might be better off going to the label's site and checking the listen section; they have a clip from 16 of their releases. Depends on what you like; if you're looking for slow desolate doom stuff, you might like that Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine (with Lee Dorrian from Cathedral i think) or the Burning Witch stuff. The Want is more like classic rock- Humble Pie mixed with Led Zeppelin, and Place of Skulls is more like The Obsessed- 3-piece power trio doom rock.

There are sound clips on the PoS site:
http://www.placeofskulls.com

Actually all that stuff sounds good. I don't actually spend a lot of time going through MP3s on line, I'd prefer to listen to full albums. I know the Obsessed though and can probably make leaps from the info you gave, so thanks!

m

I gotta get ahold of more Southern Lord stuff too - I really like the Warhorse disc. There's so damn much of that doom/stoner/whatever metal out there right now, and a bunch of it seems to be kinda southern rock retro boogie stuff which doesn't really float my boat. www.stonerrock.com has a million mp3s and is a great resource, but I can't listen to all that stuff...

My ideal band in that style would be slow and doomy like Sleep's "Jerusalem," but would include tons of analog keyboards and acoustic guitar parts. And would have awesome lyrics about kissing the goat and such. Might be a little like "Voyage of the Homeless Sapien." Any suggestions?

mike t

Originally posted by ProgWest
My ideal band in that style would be slow and doomy like Sleep's "Jerusalem," but would include tons of analog keyboards and acoustic guitar parts. And would have awesome lyrics about kissing the goat and such. Might be a little like "Voyage of the Homeless Sapien." Any suggestions?
mike t
Man, I bought that Sleep Jerusalem disc, and I gave it away to a friend. Maybe I didn't listen to it closely enough, but I really think there's not a whole lot there to keep my interest.