What I like

oh really now? what about some My Dying Bride/Anathema/Katatonia?

@Ferret: it's all sorted out. I got my visa on Thursday. it's on my passport so I didn't need to hijack a plane haha.

@Taghreed: damn straight. we never needed excuses to party!!

@Todd: I land in early November. I will need a couple of days to sleep off the jet lag and unpack and see Shane and my family. and then I will be ready to party :D

I can't wait!!

That is sooo awesome ive got a grand idea for one of the many welcome home sabine Binge fests

colour1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

This sets a whole new standard for cool.

Warning: may be mildly 'geeky'
http://www.asimo.com.au/

Honda have taken the android concept to a whole new level of tangibility.
Of course everything it does is probably within the realm of the expected rather than the amazing these days but I was still intrigued enough to be going along to check it out.

This sets a whole new standard for cool.

Warning: may be mildly 'geeky'
http://www.asimo.com.au/

Honda have taken the android concept to a whole new level of tangibility.
Of course everything it does is probably within the realm of the expected rather than the amazing these days but I was still intrigued enough to be going along to check it out.

Yeah i heard about that. Is the things brain a neural network? can it learn?

I don't think so... was reading a negative story about it the other day. It can only move freely when it is in it's "puppet" mode (ie, copying peoples movements) otherwise it just does what it is programmed to do.

Still, it's a pretty nifty little unit

It uses connective neural networks for learning but it's not completely adaptive ie- basically it can't "teach itself" anything or learn things at random. For example if they trained it to navigate a staircase then tried it on an escalator and simply crossed their fingers it would quite likely fail like Immortal more often than not and never 'understand' the conditions for successful traversal. Higher artificial intelligence was never one of the primary goals of the project anyway. So no, the future prophecised in Terminator is still not on the cards for any time soon (or at least not in the form of ASIMO :))