What if Emperor reunited for ProgPower 2013?

Out of curiosity, I want to see what people would think if Ihsahn emailed Glenn asking if he got his old 'boy band' back together, if they could play their reunion show at PP. Like Arcturus, but less hibernation sickness.

I for one think this would be amazing. Though most label them as "black metal", they are a very progressive form. Even in one of their earliest songs, "I Am The Black Wizards", you can notice Ihsahn's extreme talent in progressive music. And he was 16 when the song was recorded, younger when he wrote it.

Glenn has been shifting ProgPower into a more diversified festival genre-wise. This year he had Forbidden (Thrash Metal) and Ihsahn (Progressive Black Metal) playing. And next year he has MaYaN (Symphonic Death Metal).

Note: Emperor is most likely NEVER getting back together. I just want to start a discussion on "what if".

And it may be a little nudge for Glenn to bring it up to Ihsahn if it is a universally accepted idea. :oops:

It's diversifying, but only in one direction. If it was diversifying in the softer direction as well as the more extreme direction that would be cool. Like have Emperor and Spock's Beard. I would think that the prog crowd would be just as interested in progressive rock of the Flower Kings/IQ variety as in progressive black metal.

How many times is this band going to reunite? Any more and it's just going to look extremely sleezy.

1. They won't reunite. It's done.

2. Even if they did, the price for a show would be astronomical.

It would be a dream come true, though.

One more thing - do you have any idea how much Emperor would charge for one more show? :lol: It's not pretty.
This. If Glenn wanted to ignore his budget and spend his 401k on a headliner, I'm guessing Emperor wouldn't be the first band he'd call.

Yeah, since I've never seen Emperor live before, it did pain me to see Ihsahn say "I'm not really concerned any more with the stuff I did in my teens." (paraphrase)

So let's just hope Immortal headlines one year, right? Right? :erk:

This. If Glenn wanted to ignore his budget and spend his 401k on a headliner, I'm guessing Emperor wouldn't be the first band he'd call.
I think Glenn would only consider it if Savatage got back together....with the caveat that Michael Oliva's coffin was dug up and brought to Center Stage, and put on the stage during Savatage's performance. Then, and only then, would Jen even tolerate Glenn considering blowing his 401K and his 1199 Pension on it. :lol::lol:

I think Glenn would only consider it if Savatage got back together....with the caveat that Michael Oliva's coffin was dug up and brought to Center Stage, and put on the stage during Savatage's performance. Then, and only then, would Jen even tolerate Glenn considering blowing his 401K and his 1199 Pension on it. :lol::lol:

I highly doubt Savatage reuniting would even be a fraction of what it would cost to get Emperor to reunite.

So let's just hope Immortal headlines one year, right? Right? :erk:
Saw them when they first reunited...I love their music and it was a fun show, but the expense factor isn't far off from Emperor and honestly, seeing a band like that is more for the sake of crossing it off your list than seeing a truly great performance at this point.

They're no longer young and out to prove themselves, and I don't fault them for utilizing their stature and demand to their advantage, but I'd want to see a band like Therion 9 times out of 10 before opting for another Immortal show.

Yeah, that would be Criss Oliva, and show some respect.

Do you think Chris and Al would reunite Savatage for peanuts? I bet you that they would ask for Emperor-type cash to reunite.
Honestly dude, what kind of drugs are you on? Do you really think Al and Chris are the ones holding up any potential reunion of Savatage? REALLY?

Neither of them is an original member, and it's not like either of them is super busy setting the world on fire. Both are talented and I respect them, but Chris's solo career isn't exactly moving a ton of records and has Al even done anything outside of TSO since he left Megadeth?

Edit: Not to mention, Chris performed with Jon/Steve under the Weapons of Mass Destruction moniker, so he's obviously into the concept and not holding out for money...

Do you think Chris and Al would reunite Savatage for peanuts? I bet you that they would ask for Emperor-type cash to reunite.

I'll have to agree to disagree. Do I think they'd do it for peanuts? Absolutely not, but it just wouldn't be the same level of cash as Emperor would ask for a reunion. Also, and I know they're a huge band on this forum and some may get pissed at me saying this, but Savatage isn't as big of a name...at least over here. When Emperor did those reunion shows, from what I heard they were pretty much all sold out. I don't think Savatage could do that...or at least to the same level of venues. Could Progpower sell out with them? Absolutely but not anywhere else like Emperor can. In other words, Emperor draws more.

I'll have to agree to disagree. Do I think they'd do it for peanuts? Absolutely not, but it just wouldn't be the same level of cash as Emperor would ask for a reunion. Also, and I know they're a huge band on this forum and some may get pissed at me saying this, but Savatage isn't as big of a name...at least over here. When Emperor did those reunion shows, from what I heard they were pretty much all sold out. I don't think Savatage could do that...or at least to the same level of venues. Could Progpower sell out with them? Absolutely but not anywhere else like Emperor can. In other words, Emperor draws more.

I think Stingray is right. In order to justify the main people in the band from doing something else in addition to TSO, which makes big money, a Savatage reunion would indeed require Emperor money. That's the big problem, (and of course NO OFFENSE to any fans of the band) is Savatage worth the money to promoters? Unfortunately at this point probably not.