What if...

What are they about? Fantasy stuff im assuming? Gormenghast sounds like a black metal band :)

Koichi: Sprucey is right, you are a cockhead.

It's an epic fantasy set in a massive castle called Gormenghast. Virtually the whole of the first two books take place complete within the walls of the castle. There's no epic battles, wizards or dragons though, but it doesn't need them. The third book is bizarre in the extreme as the author died before he could finish it properly. Genius though. Did I say genius? Yes. Good.

I'm in the middle of rereading Gormenghast right now! I'm not going to read Titus Alone again though. I think it ruins the other two books. Not that it's bad, mind you. It's just not as good. Which is fair enough.

As I said, Titus Alone would have been as good as the others, but Peake died before he could rewrite it. The version that was published was pretty much the draft. There is some really sinister stuff in that book though, especially the part with the factory and the two robot things.

I know that. That's why I said "Which is fair enough". :)

The thing I like best about the first two books though is that they're gripping, even though pretty much nothing interesting happens most of the time. They bring out the plodding, timeless nature that he describes perfectly and when things start happening towards the end shows the confusion that's going on because no-one's used to it.

That is how books should be written.

phlogiston said:
I know that. That's why I said "Which is fair enough". :)

The thing I like best about the first two books though is that they're gripping, even though pretty much nothing interesting happens most of the time. They bring out the plodding, timeless nature that he describes perfectly and when things start happening towards the end shows the confusion that's going on because no-one's used to it.

That is how books should be written.
Yes. Utterly agree. Those two books are two of the best books written in the 20th century. Mind you, some of the occasional inconsistencies in the storyline let it down a little. :)