What is it with people these days...

starting a band can be as stressful as it is rewarding finding people that share your vison is the biggest bich of em all I mean where im at almost every wants to do punk (and bullshit punk at that) or that poser ass metal and right now my band is on its 3rd drummer in the last year. the first one was good but a real bad alcoholic and he stoped shoing up to practice so we had to dump him the next guy was good at first but after awhile he just kept doing the same shit over and over so got rid of him the drummer we got now is good and I hope he works out, so look out for us, we're a speed/ hardcore/ death group called :hotjump: WARHEAD :hotjump: we should be getting a demo going after we get a couple more songs down :headbang:

I've recently hooked up with a new band and we rehearse near my work. I was fortunate to find a group with a bunch of people that are willing to actually put in the time to do some work. It's pretty obvious which bands are actually dedicated to their craft when you can come into our rehearsal lockout on a Friday or Saturday evening and find that we're the only ones in the building rehearsing for our upcoming shows and recording for an album or writing new material.

Doesn't bother me, though. Remember: not everyone can fly the space shuttle. :D

Yeah that sucks. I'm kind of in 5 bands... But I'll just join anyone's band if they want me to, I love playing music with anyone else. Out of 5 bands, only 2 actually practice. The grunge and the death metal one. The rock one, my drummer is probably going to quit drumming because another drummer is better than her. What the fuck. Just practice. Christ... The other one, they only wanna play Metallica, the other guitarist sucks though.. but the drummer is good.. And the other one is rock/punk, and the other guitarist is one of those "Oh I only play guitar to say I do and don't practice for months"...
I know other guys, they're good at their instruments, but they'll only play when they're drunk. It's their only way to enjoy music. Gah. And the other thing is, I want to be a musician as a living (I'm 14.. tomorrow! Mwahaha), and everyyyone 15 to 20 a.k.a. my band members ages, wants to play music as a hobby. So they practice once a week. How are they supposed to improve?!

I think it depends on the person: if he/she fits well with the band and you can see he/she has tallent id say: give him/her a chance. you'll see if the person will improve enough to become a good member of the band

I have been there and it is tough. I just decided to play it all myself. I have my brother to help who is a very gifted vocalist, though a fan of and who has a voice suited for Southern rock/classic rock type stuff. My suggestion is to just hang in there and go to the local music stores and post a note on the wall that yuou are looking for musicians.

bryant

[X] said:
I have a question

If one of your band member is not too good at his instrument, will you kick him and find a better one or let him practice together with you?
If he/she does not practice and is not motivated to practice, I'll kick him out. I'm in that situation but I'm gonna quit cos we're only 2 in the band so if I kick her out, I'm gonna be alone :yell:

England is a bad place to start a band! I was asked to join a band with some people i sort of knew from school. The "Drummer" has never played drums and doesn't have a kit. The guitarist has been playing for 2 weeks and uses a really cheap stratocaster copy which sounds terrible. And the bass player is a fucking snob :heh: And like almost everyone else it seems, they are asking me to play Blink 182, Lost prophets, and Greenday... for anyone who has ever had the displeasure of playing a piece by any of these, it is so boring :cry: I have tried being my own band, but i don't have good enough recording equipment and stuff. oh and wait... to top it all off, they decided the band too be called "Piracy of Noise" .... that sounds really stupid in my opinion, and it gets frustrating that i'm the only member in the band who doesn't get an input on anything.

That problem is not something that happens exclusively in England. I've had to deal with "musicians" that don't have their own gear or ability to perform the instrument that they say they can. Lose those people. They're just wasting your time and aren't serious about music to begin with.

As to the frustration with the material that you're being asked to play, just do what I've done in those situations. Walk away from it and just let them know, "It's not anything personal, I just don't want to do this style of music." If they're not allowing you any input, you're in a dictatorship. If that's not to your style, split now and save yourself the heartache.

Hewy80 said:
Musos are pretty much a bunch of lazy fucks man. I've had the exact same experience as you when I was looking for a band. Everyone is more interested in the drugs than actually playing. I'm in a band at the moment and we're having a hard time finding a reliable bass player. All we need is some bastard thats goin to turn up to rehearsals or ring if theyre not. Its not that hard but it seems we still cant find anyone will the common courtesy to ring when they aint showing up.
Thats why I been working on my own shit. Fruity loops for drums and wack the guitar on top. I may get a vocalist to do some shit for me but I make it clear its my shit your not in a band with mye your singing on this and thats it less hassles that way.
Say bro I'll play bass for you, I work from 4 PM to about 12 AM. hope its' not a problem, and where are you located? I'm out here in Grapevine TX.
If you need me email me at madcheese9377@hotmail.com