What laptop do you own?

What type of laptop do you own for your audio work?

• Mac

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • PC

Votes: 16 47.1%

• Total voters

53Crëw

Jan 31, 2007
Vote whether you own a Mac or PC laptop. Feel free to post what manufacturer/model as a response, and what you like/don't like about it.

Just curious what people are using...

Cheers.

ASUS Q500A
8 gb RAM
i7 processor
Win8 :puke::loco:

Nice laptop, just not sure about Win8 yet.

My work has taken a huge sidestep in recent years, more recreational/hobby work, but I'm running reaper on a really old ('07) Dell Inspiron using Windows XP...

I'd kill to upgrade it.... but at the same time its still serving its purpose...

HP Probook 4530s (i5 2.3Ghz, 4 gig of RAM)
Dual boot Mac OS X 10.8.2/Windows 7
Use a firewire expresscard for working with Profire, latency has been great.

just upgraded a few days ago from my old silver keys mac book pro from like 2006 to a new 13" MBP

OSX 10.8.2
2.9Ghz Intel core i7
8GB RAM
750GB HDD

i'm in love with it bar one or two plug in discrepancies :bah:

My work has taken a huge sidestep in recent years, more recreational/hobby work, but I'm running reaper on a really old ('07) Dell Inspiron using Windows XP...

I'd kill to upgrade it.... but at the same time its still serving its purpose...

I had to use an early 2000s pentium 4 single core desktop the other year for a while and my mixes actually got better.

early 2011 MBP 15"
2ghz i7 (sandy bridge)
16gb ram

My only complaint is that thunderbolt is still virtually useless 2 years later.

With the Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter you can run your hard drives on a separate bus from your firewire interface. I'm doing that on my iMac and made a pretty nice improvement, well worth the $35.

With the Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter you can run your hard drives on a separate bus from your firewire interface. I'm doing that on my iMac and made a pretty nice improvement, well worth the $35.

I use a usb interface but that is a nice tip. It still doesn't account for the dearth of TB products on the market as apple continues to subtract ports and drives.

Macbook and an HP running Windows 7.

The Macbook recognized my firewire Firepod without problem. Even after buying 2 approved express cards, the PC still refuses to play nice.

Öwen;10553698 said:
HP Probook 4530s (i5 2.3Ghz, 4 gig of RAM)
Dual boot Mac OS X 10.8.2/Windows 7
Use a firewire expresscard for working with Profire, latency has been great.
Did you install OSX yourself?
I am looking to get one of these,and I wonder if OSX ML works out of the box,if you have to replace wireless card,or fiddle with videocard to get it working properly?

My current laptop is Dell Latitude D630 - Core2duo 2.0Ghz ,3Gb RAM,Dualboot Mac OSX 10.6.7 / Win 7

Edit: I thought the HP has got native firewire...does the firewire via expresscard work on OSX side?

Just got 15" mac book pro retina 2.6 i7 16GB RAM 512GB flash storage + external thunderbolt drive. Very good unit but too expensive, they have already upgraded it and I have only had it about a month.

Did you install OSX yourself?
I am looking to get one of these,and I wonder if OSX ML works out of the box,if you have to replace wireless card,or fiddle with videocard to get it working properly?

My current laptop is Dell Latitude D630 - Core2duo 2.0Ghz ,3Gb RAM,Dualboot Mac OSX 10.6.7 / Win 7

Edit: I thought the HP has got native firewire...does the firewire via expresscard work on OSX side?

The Atheros wifi chipset in mine works in OS X; if the 4530s (there are multiple revisions) doesn't have that then you have to use the card reader to add a compatible wifi card. The HP doesn't have any native firewire (on any of these models I believe); the firewire with the expresscard slot works perfectly though in OS X and I ran my most recent session on it tracking with 5-6 instances of Pod Farm at 128 samples perfectly.

Obviously you have to do the usual fiddle with Unibeast to get a bootable copy of ML but once I had this up and running on a USB stick I installed the whole thing in about 30 minutes (I had previous experience with a custom Hackintosh desktop but the Probook installer in the TonyMac forums makes this easy). My 4530s also has the radeon card and I had to disable that for the initial boot but have it reenabled so it runs in Windows too after I installed the custom Mac kernel in the Probook installer to ignore it. The card itself won't run in OS X but the i5's onboard HD3000 is fine although I do get the odd mild graphical glitch.

The only other thing worth mentioning is that the bluetooth doesn't work from startup it only works after coming out of sleep mode - which is weird but I never really fully shut my laptop down and rarely use the bluetooth so its not an issue.

Overall its really dependable though - and I wouldn't use it for tracking if it wasn't; my desktop build is more rock solid but if you want a fast PC that runs OS X on the cheap its definitely a great option.

Toshiba Satellite x205 sli series laptop w 8GB RAM running Windows 7 x64.

2011 (mid) 17in MBP. Quad i7 / 16gB / 750Go

I like : Use it for everything. I love the Os, it can handle everything I need, the full HD screen while being compact for a 17in screen laptop is why it's awesome. It doesn't feel like using a monster like other 17in I tried before, it's comparable to 15in competitors in terms of ergonomy. The keyboard and especially the trackpad simply own the competition IMO, I simply don't use a mouse anymore, and every other trackpad feels unresponsive and like rubbing a concrete wall because the apple one is smooth, big, and responsive

I don't like : the price although got it refurbed + declared as a pro expense. I still think it's worth it if you can afford it, it's 2 years old and is smooth as fuck with no major problem ever, I haven't rebooted it in weeks.