What scene, where you live.

In Adelaide Australia, there is a Metal scene, but everything is overrun by Indie. But its not totally dead. Infact its flourishing but we dont have the numbers. Those Pesky Emo's are still around but it seems like theyre converting to indie to follow the trend lol'skies.

While there aren't great turnouts to local Adelaide gigs, there are quite a few decent bands. Have you ever heard Asphyxia? They're pretty decent so check em out if you haven't already.http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=62067682

All different bands, all different genres. A lot of excellent ones, a lot of horrible ones.

While there aren't great turnouts to local Adelaide gigs, there are quite a few decent bands. Have you ever heard Asphyxia? They're pretty decent so check em out if you haven't already.http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=62067682

No i havent,

only bands that ive heard really are the enigma bands if ya know what i mean.

basically

red dawn
truth corroded
universum (who are doing some great things atm)
jones town syndicate (defunct)
Double Dragon
and all that.

To tell the truth i dont like em all that much, but you have to support your local music.

I'm also in Melbourne, Australia. The indie pretty much is the new emo here. I actually don't mind some indie bands, but I'm very very picky. I generally don't like the more indie/pop/dance stuff.

There is a bit of a metal scene here, though I haven't really found many local metal bands that I could call a 'favourite'. Most of the local/interstate bands that I really like bridge into the post rock/post metal genre (Laura, sleepmakeswaves, These Hands Could Separate the Sky). That scene seems to be growing slightly, which is cool.

Most of the local/interstate bands that I really like bridge into the post rock/post metal genre (Laura, sleepmakeswaves, These Hands Could Separate the Sky). That scene seems to be growing slightly, which is cool.

Yeah, those are some great bands and are actually doing something a bit interesting.

We also tend to have that alternative/metal thing, whatever you want to call it - stuff like Cog, Butterfly Effect, Karnivool, which seem to more popular - along with all the generic tough guy hardcore - than actual heavy metal, unlike back in the 90s where there were plenty of great extreme bands.

Raleigh:

terrible... terrible hardcore
terrible... terrible grindcore.

good black metal bands from chapel hill about 15 minutes down the road.

BTBAM from winston like 1.5 hours away but wouldn't really say they're local anymore.

Heh, interesting. I just replied to a different thread you started, and now I see you're pretty much down the road. Anyways, here in Fayetteville, home to the second largest US military base, its more or less formulaic radio/mall style metal. I haven't seen too many local bands, as I'm pretty picky, mainly just locals opening up for the few relatively big death or progressive bands we have coming through here. Jesters is the only place here that ever gets any decent bands, and aside from the occasional Arsis or Into Eternity, they haven't gotten a whole lot lately. The local bands that open generally remind me of a slightly more metal Linkin Park, playing it safe with clean vocals, less than gutteral harsh vocals, and breakdowns. You see the occasional Slayer throwback or whatever, but the biggest band in this town is kind of a modern day hair metal band called The Fifth. Their lead singer is Roy Cathey, who fronted a short lived hair metal band in the 80's called Cold Sweat. So, from what I've seen live and checked out online, the scene here doesn't do much for me. But hey, I'll give them credit. At least they're on stage.

Here in Quebec, as someone said before, there's a huge Black Metal scene that is really good. There's a lot of underground shows and excellent bands like Monarque, Culte d'Ébola, Sombres Forêts, Gris, Blackwind, Csejthe, Utlagr, Forteresse and many others. There's also bigger bands that some of you probably know like Kataklysm, Cryptopsy, Gorguts, Unexpect. In Doom metal I don't know too much about it but there is Longing for Dawn that is excellent and a Black/Grindcore band named Nefastus Dies. Well you should look at some bands that I mentionned

In Greece we dont really have much local bands but you got a lot of people listening to metal, especially old school shit like Iron Maiden and early Metallica, Judas Priest etc.
We got the Rockwave festival every summer where big time metal bands come and play. Oh, and Iced Earth are really really big here. They even made a live album/dvd, Alive in Athens. Its funny cause whenever I ask someone from America about Iced Earth they dont know them. It seems that an American band is more popular in Greece than it is in its own country.
Anyways a lot of emo's have sprung up out of nowhere at an alarming rate but the government is taking drastic measures to annihilate them.