What scene, where you live.

phew, in istanbul there is a scene for...everything basically! maybe not as equally big, but they are here all the same. metal, pop, arabesque, punk, hardcore, electro, techno, jazz etc. this city is just waaay too crowded...

Just curious about the type of scenes all over the world.

In Adelaide Australia, there is a Metal scene, but everything is overrun by Indie. But its not totally dead. Infact its flourishing but we dont have the numbers. Those Pesky Emo's are still around but it seems like theyre converting to indie to follow the trend lol'skies.

Well, Mournful Congregation is from Adelaide, Australia correct? That's where I liked to be. Here in Pittsburgh,Pa, people care more about the Steelers than any music. Steelers just galvanize this town.

haha yeah.

Thats close to springdale right?

No, it's on the complete other side of the state. I live about an hour away from Memphis.
Memphis actually has a decent metal scene, there are a few good bands in a vast sea of shitty ones. But I figure that's how it is in just about every big city.

Im from Tunisia, and i think the metal scene here is going from bad to worse !!! I mean the audience, it's really disturbing to see little kids around with all their problems, fights and every stupid thing !!! They say that it was pretty much better before (im into metal since 04 so i don't know what was going before), so it's really really disturbing !! maybe it's MY problem only. abt bands, there are some pretty good bands growing up, and some other just fucking suck !!! the indie and reggae scene is growing up, the number of fans is getting bigger, loads of people are stopped listening to metal (for some reason !!! ) and getting into those kinda music !!
but the main problem still the PA thing !! we don't have big bands coming over, we had once a metal festival (just one single edition) it was in august 07, we had After Forever,Adagio, Firewind...and back in 06 we had Robert Plant in Guitar Festival (which i missed :( ) ,Epica, Dream Theater would come in march 08 but they couldn't deal with them for a certain financial problems. I hope they will orgonize another metal fest and bring some cool bands too !!! and stop bringing some "symphonic metal" bands !!!! OMG! ! BRING FUCKING OPETH !!!!!!!
ah and i forgot about the other scenes, LOADS of people are more interested in techno/rnb/hip hop/electro/arabic music !!! we have a a Jazz festival in summer, i wanna go there next summer coz it's interesting i think !! i red some good reviews ! and that's it :] I hope we will get some cool bands next march in Guitar Festival, like Comus and Opeth playing !! omg ! that would be dream came true.

South england, there is a small metal scene here but a fair amount are poser cunts trying to be metal. Other than that it's mainly indie rock etc.

I'm not really a "scene" person...Germans might recognise the word Hochtaunus, it's basically a snobby area with 95% of all people completely conforming and buying things that make them fit in completely and the 4.5% that don't completely conform are also idiots because they try so hard to be different it's embarassing. Some cool people though, I think I'm kind of stuck in the middle. Also, no real metal here, well there is some but people my age are more into death/metalcore here, some listen to real metal as well though.
in the actual city there is more variety

I live in Uppsala. Uppsala is located north of Stockholm. I've only found 2 death metal bands beside my band in Uppsala and the rest is pure bullshit indie or emo/screamo.

Salt Lake City actually has a pretty good scene and has for the last 10 years or so. Before that I wouldn't know.
There is quite a few bands here and some of came and went.

Ibex Throne is a pretty well known and killer USBM band which are some friends of mine, but they broke up a year or so and the members went on and are now involved in other bands like Iconoclast Contra, Gravecode Nebula, Incendiant, Xolotl, and Yaotl Mictlan.

There is a lot of Black and Death metal here specifically.
Some bands needing to be mentioned either active or non active are over the last 10 years or so:

The Obliterate Plague
Lord Beherit
Gravecode Nebula
Devoured Alive
Mindlock
Incendiant
Trigon Aion
Terra Noir
Gorelock
Winterlore
Sub-Rosa
Fallout/Pendant
The Pagan Dead
Adipocere
Imprison the Flesh
Malignant Inception
Disordered
Ibex Throne
Iconoclast Contra
Desolate Realm
Taught By Birds
Black Seas of Infinity
Anima Nera
88 Metal Bullets
Minion
Wicked Innocence

I myself am involved in Terra Noir, The Obliterate Plague, and Desolate Realm.

Its obvious we could give a fuck less about Mormon dipshits and that it really doesn't affect shit here.

Raleigh:

terrible... terrible hardcore
terrible... terrible grindcore.

good black metal bands from chapel hill about 15 minutes down the road.

BTBAM from winston like 1.5 hours away but wouldn't really say they're local anymore.

Isn't Pig Destroyer from around your neck of the woods? ...they aren't terrible.

BTW, it certainly looks like extreme metal might be on its way underground for awhile. It was nice while it lasted though.