What separates Katatonia from euro trash.

insidethefall said:
Nevermore were once great, the stuff they are putting out now is garbage...
WTF!:confused:
I know pretty much all of their music by heart and I VERY much like their new stuff too (enemies of reality was IMO their least good album)
But this godless endeavor is amazing man...
btw, sorry for this, I know it's your oppinion:Spin:

A Stranger said:
the one thing i hate about mtv is that its terrible but i always seem to end up watching it in some blind hope that something good will be shown.

Yep... I was so happy when they started showing Headbanger's ball here, thinking there would be extreme metal and stuff... Instead, they show the same stuff they used to show in prime time before, like Foo Fighters. Have watched it every time and there's always some crap.
Alternative Nation is (or at least used to be) a great show, that's how I got involved with less mainstream music in the first place.

TMF, a music station in Belgium and Holland, used to have an awesome metal show, with "extreme" clips like Satyricon, Immortal, Morbid Angel, etc
But MTV bought TMF and shortly after, this program was gone...

strangedays said:
Not ignorant, I like Anathema (but they are British!) I can't get into a sort of political debate here as I was just generalising. But im sorry, even bands like Opeth are just verging on cheese many a time with that sound they have.

I guess Katatonia never feel forced

did you went to school once in youre life?

ok whatever....you sure dont know what are you talking about.

What, Opeth? Cheese?? How? Er, when I think cheese I think:

MANOWAR.JPG
:puke:

Edit: Have no idea what the deal is with the pic, just thought it was funny as hell! :lol:

Cerulean said:
TMF, a music station in Belgium and Holland, used to have an awesome metal show, with "extreme" clips like Satyricon, Immortal, Morbid Angel, etc
But MTV bought TMF and shortly after, this program was gone...

We have Tmf over here too, but only after it was bought by mtv. Suzz can be good sometimes even though they show the same videos at the same time everyday. Also, we got the musicians channel which is crap but late at night there is a programme called redemption tv which shows live gigs and stuff. Some really dodgy bands on it but some are good

Well it would be a matter of tastes, but come on NEVERMORE RULES.

They are actually one of the few U.S METAL ( i fucking hate Nu metal) Bands rthat are really doing it the right way, i must say i became a fan when i heard the "Dreaming Neon Black" album, and i love them all, "This Godless Endeavour" i would say is one of the best albums of 2005.

Ok but puting my fanatism for Nevermore aside, one must try to see the acomplishments on each band ( not if they have won grammies or shit like that), but how much they develop themselves in theyre own field, thus Katatonia and nevermore are truly great imho.

To answer the question.. well.. Katatonia is pretty much something Unique.. i am too a fan of bands like Anathema, Novembre, and some others that could be put in a mix with Kata but we all know there is nothing that truluy sounds like Katatonia, that is what makes them so great and i would love to keep it that way...

Also please dont put Katatonia and Coldplay on the same sentence again, ( puting it myself made me kinda :puke:) ..... i know i know.. a matter of tastes.... just felt like flaming another band on behalf of the flame Nevermore got ;)..

Oh yeah yeah and btw..WTF with the MANOWAR pic?.. doe sanyone know? if that movie exists i will kill to get it... It must be the shit... along with the KISS movie, El Santo movies, and some others i cant recall right now..

Man, I can't believe that guy stated that Opeth sounded "cheesy"...that is quite disturbing...but to each his own I guess. Europe has many good bands who created truly "European" sound, which you won't find much of back in the states. However, metal bands on each side of the big pond will be influenced by each other and improve metal for the better.

ok..

firstly I realise im on sticky ground here, in Britain we do see europeans as separate, just because we have a culture complex that as many know is being eroded away through our stupid government.. even our own religion (christianity) isnt safe anymore.. however there is a difference..

The majority of stuff around the area is crap im afraid, yes you get the odd band, but nothing thats come close to chart worthy...

Now before any of the chart haters start to want a flame war with me, I refer to stuff I think is chart worthy, not the dance crap, but the rock I know and love, and by that I don't want either Kyle Minogue or Nightwish in there. I think Katatonia are one i could quite happily see in there now. There are other bands, just none of the trash that makes me laugh everytime someone growls meaningless crap.

Opeth I'm afraid do the whole growl thing, and i'm sorry but its old and very cheesy, if you think im disturbed for finding it funny when someone thinks that deep throat hard to understand lyrics with balls larger than a dinasours egg singing is plasted over what sounds musically superb album and ruins it, then why are you here?

Katatonia did the growl thing, and some of the older stuff was good but that was for its time, they have turned away, and with good reason, the music takes on a much more serious form!

strangedays said:
Opeth I'm afraid do the whole growl thing, and i'm sorry but its old and very cheesy, if you think im disturbed for finding it funny when someone thinks that deep throat hard to understand lyrics with balls larger than a dinasours egg singing is plasted over what sounds musically superb album and ruins it, then why are you here?
The growling is very good for the contrast and emotion in their music.
I mean, listen to Still Life, because there is quite a lot of growling going on, the clean parts come out véry beautiful. (IMO)
(offtopic: aaah, katatonia in Arnhem!!:oops:)

I think this boils down to when you began listening to Katatonia. Katatonia was(and still is in my opinion), a metal band. If you like Katatonia simply because they have a more rock sound, then you probably don't like metal music anyay. Just a thought.

I don't think metal is all about screaming, I can't say that I haven't liked some of the heavier bands out there, cheesy though some are, for example i like over the years:

At the Gates, In Flames (not all but some), Metallica when i was much younger... .. etc

ok they are all cheese today.. even metallica now really, but my points being missed, everyones taking it to heart really too much, Katatonia rub that depressive side exactly the right way.

I think its a shame to see that some people on these forums have to get so uptight and come out with pointless insults about whether i went to school or not.. of course i did, hense why i have the ability to argue my point!

now you see our problems with europeans!

I don't see what kind of problems do you have with us... May be we didn't understand properly your English humor? And the purpose of your thread? Sorry, but I don't agree that European metal sucks. Just as most of "us europeans" here. And with all these "Britain is not Europe" you sounded like an australian aborigine... And after this you're starting to whine about people who criticized your education... Oh my God...

strangedays said:
even our own religion (christianity) isnt safe anymore.. however there is a difference..

i want you to think long and hard about this sentence. im not going to explain the flaw to you. just think about it. maybe even do some searching online. just think.