What should the Systematic Mixing eBook cost?

How much should a digital download of the Systematic Mixing eBook cost?

• $5

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • $10

Votes: 60 28.4%
  • $15

Votes: 55 26.1%
  • $20

Votes: 38 18.0%
  • $25

Votes: 25 11.8%
  • $30+

Votes: 5 2.4%

• Total voters
Don't forget to do a classy and sober html page on your website, explaining exactly what is inside, with a quick example right in the page (people are sometimes too lazy to download a demo pdf so give them also the possibility to quickly see what is inside) and a few testimonials that we're gonna give you quickly :)

I would pay 25$ for shure, but as many others mentioned it's too much for the "open market", imo.

10-15$ and I'm shure you gonna sell A LOT with some promotion(good idea that everyone should post something in the vernacular forums they frequent)...

Ermin,

If I were you I would sell it for $9.99.
It's not that it isn't worth more, I'm sure it is. But IMO if you pass the $10 mark there will be a lot of people that won't buy it and just download it from somewhere else, and you will have less income than selling it for $9.99.

See the example of Iphone apps. They're very cheap, and that way they sell millions. If they were more expensive they would sell a lot less more and wouldn't have the same income for sure.

The thing about those apps, Eddy, is that they appeal to millions of users. Audio Engineering is a niche market, and nowhere near as broad as what general-purpose apps or games would target. I don't think $15 is all that much to ask. I regularly spend more on dinner when going out, and I'm sure many others are the same.

As far as the promotion goes... I've kick started a thread on GS, so feel free to weigh in if you guys would like: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...51-systematic-mixing-guide-guitars-drums.html

Cheers!

I could posta thread(and update) in the biggest german musician forum, if you wan't?!

They are some metal-interested folks overthere. Dunno if it would help, but better than nothing, I guess...

Yeah, I know what the common price for an E-Book is, but I assume that this is gonna be a big pile of information, and if you compare this to other books (eg Bob Katz - Mastering Audio) I think $15 is a really good price for the customer... And I think $10 just dont do justice to the effort and years of experience that come with this book

The thing about those apps, Eddy, is that they appeal to millions of users. Audio Engineering is a niche market, and nowhere near as broad as what general-purpose apps or games would target. I don't think $15 is all that much to ask. I regularly spend more on dinner when going out, and I'm sure many others are the same.

As far as the promotion goes... I've kick started a thread on GS, so feel free to weigh in if you guys would like: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...51-systematic-mixing-guide-guitars-drums.html

Cheers!

I think you have a good point about the millions of users Apple has, but how many musicians do you know that download albums that cost 5$.
Unfortunately I know a lot of them. It's the majority nowadays.
Unless you find a good way to protect the book against illegal downloading you'll have a big problem in selling it. I sincerely hope not.
I feel that having a low price helps selling it.
More or less like samples that are being sold here on the forum, the price tag is low so a lot of people buy them, doesn't mean it's cheap. If you compare the price per sampled drum to Slate samples it's not much different.
Waves also seems to be selling a lot nowadays selling the plugins separated from the bundles, the price tag is very low so people buy them easier.
Well, enough of talking. :lol:

I would pay 25$ for shure, but as many others mentioned it's too much for the "open market", imo.

10-15$ and I'm shure you gonna sell A LOT with some promotion(good idea that everyone should post something in the vernacular forums they frequent)...

Yup. Imo I think everything between 15 and 25$ would be ok.

Yeah I would pay $25 myself for your guide because i've followed your posts on these forums and you pretty much always know exactly what you're talking about without any hiccups, and your mixes on systematic productions are farrrking beast!

I think $9.99 and $14.99 are much smarter options though, because although your following on UM will buy it at higher prices, people who don't know your works or methodology will just think "Who's this Ermz joker asking for $25 to tell me how to do my job?" when they don't know how wrong they are! :)

Should sell for like $9.99 then absolutely blitz all those home recording forums with "fucktons of noobs" and you'll kill two birds with one stone; You'll sell alot of copies and you'll raise the standards of amatuer recordings!

That idea of making a page for it with examples of your best work and a paragraph from processing guitars (to get people hooked) or something would work wonders too. Maybe tie it into your Systematic Page?

I'm really keen for this book, when's it being released?

Just letting you guys know that the vocal portion of the guide was finished last night, alongside the bass. Originally this would have concluded the book, but I've decided to add section on whole-mix processing, synths, acoustic instruments and other relevant things. We're still etching closer to completion though, and as always I'm hoping for a few months. I'd be quite disappointed if it doesn't come out before the end of the year.

Just because you expect people to pirate your product doesn't mean you shouldn't charge a realistic amount of money that honest buyers are happy to pay. It'd be like spending thousands making an awesome metal record and then handing it out for free because you think people are going to pirate it anyway, so why bother?

That, and the time it would take for something like this to be uploaded and made publically aware on the pirate scene would be weeks, maybe months. Ermin would still make a tidy sum of money from initial sales.