what shows are people going to?

This.

It is funny.
In the past couple of years, it seems like the old timers are having the most fun on stage. (IE - Thin Lizzy, Priest, Maiden, Uriah Heep, Diamond Head, Michael Schenker, etc, etc).

I hate to say it, but I would guess part of it is that these artists aren't touring with CD sales on their minds. I would guess the decline in album sales makes touring for current artists a VERY stressful situation (Sorry, I know I might seem like Capt Obvious here, though it does seem like its the older bands who are killing it live).

Diamond Plate just released an album and they killed the two times I saw them. Though they are like 16 years old.

I aint talking about Diamond Plate son.
I am talking about Diamond Head!!!!!! :)

yeah 40 year difference...hahahahaha

It is true. I think lots of the older bands now are just realizing thier place and having a good time on stage now. Plus with lots of younger new fans coming to see them it gives them back some energy and enthusiasm.

Exactly.
I also think the fact that they aren't concerned anymore about pleasing the bigger labels they used to be on.
Some still release new material, but the pressures of album sales are off.
Of course bands still want to sell CDs, as well as their label does too, but the expectations of course are a LOT lower than they were when there were more commercial media outlets (IE - Commercial radio, MTV, mainstream magazines, etc) pushing the new release.

As you said too Bob, lots of these older bands continue to draw younger and younger crowds.

I believe Bruce said from the stage at the last Chicago date that it was Maiden's top selling show ever in Chicago.

Oh, and for the record, while I am not the biggest fan musically, I fully support Diamond PLATE and their recent success.
They worked hard and earned everything that's coming their way.

Jasonic you are correct, I was at that Maiden show and Bruce it was 14,000 people. It'll be interesting to see how many people show up for them and Alice Cooper in July.

Also, along with Diamond Plate. While the new album is a total piece of shit and a huge let down I still supported them until one fateful day where I made an honest comment about how their new "thrash" album sucks. They immediately deleted my comment and removed from their liking their page on facebook. Can they really not take a fan's criticism?? I have their demo and their ep and I have been going to their shows for 4 years and then they apparently think that voicing my opinion is terrible.

I'm sorry but ill listen to the demo or ep over that piece of shit groove/trivium wanna be album anyday.

I didn't know you were local.
Is Steel and Fire a label?

Anyhow, I have never heard their full length.
I have their Thrash Clash split and the Relativity EP.
They are decent.

We played with them at the Sanctuary show and they are all very cool guys.
It's nothing that I personally would buy as it definitely appeals to young metalheads getting into thrash.
Nothing wrong with wearing your influences on your sleeve as I think they do, as long as you do it well.

I wasn't aware that they went groove on their newest one.

Jasonic, Yes Steel & Fire Records is a label and ran out of the the burbs of Chicagoland. Check out my links to see what we are all about. Hopefully, first release will be out by the end of the year, but it's all about that money and when people don't buy from the distro it's hard to get anything out.

Go take one listen to DP's Gereation Why? album, see if you can make it through the whole thing. Also see how they ruined At The Mountains of Madness.

Original version from Relativity EP 2010 (same as thrash clash split, better recording quality):

The new and "improved" version from Generation Why? after being signed to Earache 2011:

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, along with Diamond Plate. While the new album is a total piece of shit and a huge let down I still supported them until one fateful day where I made an honest comment about how their new "thrash" album sucks. They immediately deleted my comment and removed from their liking their page on facebook. Can they really not take a fan's criticism?? I have their demo and their ep and I have been going to their shows for 4 years and then they apparently think that voicing my opinion is terrible.

I'm sorry but ill listen to the demo or ep over that piece of shit groove/trivium wanna be album anyday.

Just a thought - most bands tend to filter their official forums so it's a more positive environment. With Facebook being as popular as it is, and probably the band's official "forum", it's not surprising that a comment like yours would be removed.

It's one thing to voice an opinion, as to say "I prefer your demo or ep more than the new album." It's another to say what you said.

@ Jason - I have a ticket on will-call, since I ordered it right when the show was announced.